Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times

Advertisements

As a recruiter, you can get this waived if you show that your military base pay (Very low, around $1491 per month for E1) will cover more than 60% of your household expenses. That means your total bills have to be under $596 a month. That includes all credit payments, car payments, ect. You can not count your husband's income as he will lose his employment with you move.

You will have to find a recruiter willing to do the work. You will need a perfect credit history with no late payments. If you are already showing financial irresponsibility with missed payments, the Air Force will not take a chance on you.

Why? People are KICKED OUT of the service for missing payments, it creates security clearance issues, and a host of other reasons like the credibility of those in uniform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedenise13 View Post
I am a mother of 2 childern and married. My husband served in the air force and got out around 2 years ago. Went and talked to a recruitor today and was told women with more than 2 dependents can not join. Is there any way this can be revoked
Recruiters are not always all that bright (I think that is part of the reason that everyone's recruiter is said to have lied, I think they just don't understand what they are doing), not talking about the guys on here, but the one that told you that you couldn't get in. Here is the instruction concerning dependents:

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFRSI36-2001.pdf

You will find the info you need on page 109 of the pdf (you will need a waiver from the Group Commander, but you can enlist as a Basic Airman).

Last edited by MDrenter223; 07-25-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a recruiter, you can get this waived if you show that your military base pay (Very low, around $1491 per month for E1) will cover more than 60% of your household expenses. That means your total bills have to be under $596 a month. That includes all credit payments, car payments, ect. You can not count your husband's income as he will lose his employment with you move.

You will have to find a recruiter willing to do the work. You will need a perfect credit history with no late payments. If you are already showing financial irresponsibility with missed payments, the Air Force will not take a chance on you.

Why? People are KICKED OUT of the service for missing payments, it creates security clearance issues, and a host of other reasons like the credibility of those in uniform.
100% of what Dmarie says is correct, when you fill out that sf-86 form you will be asked about where every dollar you owe is...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Appears the Air Force possess many stipulations. Rumor has it, a Marine can not join the AF until 2 years after discharge! Apparently Marines are to high strung,physically fit, discipline and aggressive for the AF.

I appreciate each branch however I do not always understand their ideology.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
VERY perceptive HiDesertRat - we have no idea the age of the OP. I guess one question might be WHY do married people get more money than non-married? Not that I am against it; but, the saying is "if the Army wanted you to have a ______ they would have issued you one"???!! I have a vague recollection that single people with children had to sign some sort of contingent dependent support - in case of deployment or unaccompanied assignment. Why would it matter to the military if the OP had two or more dependents (other than the possibility of "problems" would increase)??
The way I used to look at it was that married people didn't make more than I did. I figured that VHA and BAQ was money that was due to me but The Man took it out because I lived in the barracks and ate in the chow hall.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Recruiters are not always all that bright (I think that is part of the reason that everyone's recruiter is said to have lied, I think they just don't understand what they are doing), not talking about the guys on here, but the one that told you that you couldn't get in. Here is the instruction concerning dependents:

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFRSI36-2001.pdf

You will find the info you need on page 109 of the pdf (you will need a waiver from the Group Commander, but you can enlist as a Basic Airman).

For the record, her recruiter is not actually wrong. If you have more than 1 dependant, you are disqualified per the regulation 36-2001. DISQUALIFIED... as her recruiter told her. Recruiters do not have to do waivers, and that recruiter might have experience doing them and could have a boss that turns them down. Waivers can be denied, and some of our bosses deny them all.

She is, in fact, disqualified. An approved waiver could waive that, but getting a waiver is not a right. A recruiter can refuse to do one, disapprove it at his/her level, have a boss and/or a commander that will not approve it. If those conditions are true, the disqualification and inelligibility stand.

It probably isn't that the recruiter is not knowledgable, but rather that the recruiter can't get it approved, doesn't have time, or wants to focus on applicants that do not need the hours of extra work. Recruiters value their time, and don't want to waste the time of their applicants if things are likely to get disapproved.

It is also possible that the recruiter asked about credit history, and there were blemishes... leaving the waiver impossible to get.

Let's not assume the recruiter missed the boat.

I qoute from the regulation- Disqualified if, "Is married to a civilian spouse and has physical or legal custody of two or more family members under age 18 incapable of self-care... in an enlisted program... then a waiver may be approved by the group commander."

For those that don't know, that means the recruiter has do to the work, his/her boss (the flight chief) has to approve the waiver and write statements, check credit, do financial work-ups and interviews, then the squadron commander has to approve the waiver and repeat the same checks, recommend approval, and then send to the group commander.

There are only THREE group commanders in the United States. Each is responsible for 1/3 of the entire country's recruiting. Do you think that these waiver are top priority when we have record numbers of people joining?

I'm just playing devils advocate here. I hate the assumption that the recruiter doesn't know the regulations or is lazy. This kind of waiver IS POSSIBLE, but takes a special kind of recruiter and applicant to accomplish it.

Last edited by dmarie123; 07-26-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM

CAN be approved, NOT MUST be approved.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
100% of what Dmarie says is correct, when you fill out that sf-86 form you will be asked about where every dollar you owe is...

Not just that, we actually have a form called an AFRS 1325 (Specific to the Air Force, as we are the only branch that credit checks every applicant regardless of security clearance).

It lists income (ONLY the person applying counts, no spousal income), savings, every bill down to food, insurance, gasoline, credit cards, student loans, utilities, child support, ect. It asks about investments and other assets as well. This is used as part of the analysis. We are SO concerned that we developed a form onto itself JUST for debt/income and credit history. It is a big deal for us.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
It's not that recruiters "aren't that bright" as far as the claims of lying go... when someone tells me their recruiter lied to them, I instantly know that the person I'm speaking to is a unethical snake. Why? Because if it is true - after their recruiter "lied" to them, they signed a piece of paper swearing that the recruiter did not promise them anything not written down, and if it's not - well, that should be obvious.

To the OP - the AF is the hardest of the branchest to join. With the reduction in forces, they can afford to be even more picky. It is possible to get a waiver in the Navy, the Army and the Marines for having more than two dependents (your husband counts as well, so you have 3 dependents, not two), but the AF does fewer of those waivers. Recruiters don't just turn someone away. I'm sure he went to his RinC to find out whether or not they want to go through the effort of trying to get a waiver. Or it's possible that the Regional Office sent out a directive letting them know that no waivers would be approved this month.

When my dh was on Recruiting duty, I remember one young guy who came in - he told my dh he had one child with his gf. He went through MEPS, signed on, the whole shebang, and was in DEP. About two months later, dh got an angry call from his RinC - the kid came into the office to pick something up -dh was out of the office, so the RinC handled it. They got to chatting as the kid had brought in his new wife - married her the weekend previous without saying anything prior. She had 3 kids from a prior relationship. He had just gone from one dependent to 5. Let me tell you - NO ONE is getting a waiver for 5 dependents.

They could not get his waiver to go through.

(BTW, for the information of future readers, a pregnant gf does not count as a dependent, but a pregnant WIFE counts as two - if you haven't married her by this point, wait until AFTER basic)

Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Appears the Air Force possess many stipulations. Rumor has it, a Marine can not join the AF until 2 years after discharge! Apparently Marines are to high strung,physically fit, discipline and aggressive for the AF.

I appreciate each branch however I do not always understand their ideology.

Absolutely false. In fact, a Marine can start the process of joining while they are still a Marine... provided they have a DD 368 Conditional Release.

However, the problem is that we usually limit slots to 250 people per year to join enlisted from other branches. For officers, there are no limits. I'm working on recruiting two folks from the Army right now (into the officer corps).

You also need a good RE Code... but there is no time limit restriction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues