Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 AM

88 posts, read 235,167 times

Advertisements

Good morning/afternoon/evening wherever you are in the world.

A little about myself, I'm an NCO in the AF. Currently serving overseas and really beginning to give the future some thought for the first time. My current enlistment is up in 2015 which will be my 12 year mark. Things could change between now and then but I really don't forsee myself signing up for more time. Military life isn't hard, I'm just bored and can feel my motivation dipping lower with every e-mail about "resiliency" and things of that nature. I'm single, will only be 30, hopefully a few credits away from a backehlor and also debt free with a nice amount in savings.. I don't have much of a plan besides putting my GI Bill to use. I read this forum all the time and wonder what some of the old vets and even my peers think of getting out with so much time invested. All opinions, positive and negative are welcome. It's hard to ask people in my chain or in my immediate surrounding without getting the cookie cutter "You're crazy! You'll be flipping burgers/ door greeter at Wal-Mart" answer. Just want a neutral opinion. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
Big ? what is your career field and how does it translate to the civilian workforce? and then how to you leverage a bachelor's degree into a better future for yourself?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM

987 posts, read 1,385,983 times
domfromco,

I too was in the Air Force and got out at the 12 yr mark, but returned to the same career field just to start another career with Civil Service and with the Reserves as an Air Reserve Technician (ART) since they both go hand in hand. I retired early at age 49 in 1997 with 30 yrs total, combined 12 yrs active duty and 18 yrs with Civil Service/Reserves. I had 2 career fields as a jet (2 or more engines) aircraft mechanic and as a Maintenance Production Controller/Scheduler.
We've lived in Philippines since 1998 and we've been here ever since and receiving my retired Reserve pay when I turned age 60 and my SSA at age 62! I'm now 63 and collecting all of my combined U.S. government pensions! With your 12 yrs of active duty, see if you will like the Reserves, because at age 60, you may have a good military pension out of it when you have the required retirement points accrued with at least a pay grade of E-7 or higher!
Your case is only similar to mine with your 12 yrs of service, before getting out, but unsure what to do with your life after the military! You say you aren't too far off getting your Bachelor's degree which is a plus and you have savings in the bank! You could always use your G.I. bill and go to school in another country that has a low cost of living after you get discharged from active duty! And if you are good with computers, there are on-line telemarketing sites you can make money on the side without leaving your apartment or home in the country you choose to live in while going to school to get your degree! It could be a great adventure for you if that is what you would like to try! Good luck and best wishes to you!

Last edited by Art2ro; 07-31-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,782 times
It's not crazy at all; I made the jump with 12 years AD. Two suggestions:

Seriously consider moving into the Guard or Reserves. What I found is the environment is very different from the AD. There is a much more get-it-done attitude because your time and availability is limited, therefore there is less tolerance for the BS that dominates the AD. We get the same missions done to the same standards with 10% of the available manpower. By moving into the Guard/Reserves, you get to keep the military benefits and the time you accumulated towards retirement. You can see the currently advertised vacancies on the AFPC website, however also talk to a recruiter because a lot of positions are not advertised.

Check the civilian employment for your particular career field. The "bad" economy is primarily affecting unskilled, low-knowledge workers. When I came off AD, I had three job offers in hand. See if your base offers a TAPS course, this is for persons either retiring or separating from the USAF. You'll learn a lot about seeking employment, writing a resume, dressing yourself, etc. The best time to take this course is before you pull the trigger on separating.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
SJ4

Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM

167 posts, read 470,067 times
Do your 20 and then go to school or anything else you want to do.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times
Do the 20 and bank roll as much as you can. Outside basically there's no such thing as a pension anymore so you have about 10 years to a lifetime income among other benefits. Get your degree and if the economy picks up during your next enlistment then get out.. Today the idea of job stability is longgggggg gone.. Good luck in whatever you do..

Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,238 times
I am retired. Over 10 yrs ago, i considered separating but i was not prepared so i reenlisted. Your OPs tempo today is more stressing that mine at thr 10 yr mark...i understand the desire to roll. So i am going with the idea that your getting out.

Since retirement, here's what i found...First off, the civilian world is not waiting for you, if anything the job market looks the other way. Throughout my career I are told, we're marketable, that's a half truth. I acknowledge a slight paranoia about being unemployed, so the year prior to retirement i was literally applying for a job everyday. I only got a few replies and 2 interviews, (degrees 1 MS, 1 BS, 3 AAS). I was eventually hired with only 2 days into terminal leave but i was crapping my pants during the process. In those interviews, my employer did not blink at my career accomplishments, that really offended me becuase i expected a Thank You or something but he gave me a show what look. My point is that its paramount to translate those mil skills to civilian work.

Save money. I spent 10k moving. In my situation, i had no family to live with, so my wife/kids were living in a hotel until i bought a house.

Attend Tap, twice! Practice interviewing! Show them your resume...I bet its too military.

Good Luck! Thats for your service!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,611,475 times
My two cents:

1. Either stay in until your 20
2. If you really do want to leave, get a government job so your 10 years weren't wasted.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domfromco View Post
I read this forum all the time and wonder what some of the old vets and even my peers think of getting out with so much time invested.
Here is one thread you might read, is similar, my response is the second post, which is over a year old, still the same opinion for me: http://www.city-data.com/forum/milit...ent-worth.html

Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
I got out at the 12 year mark and it was the best decision ever. Went to college, then grad school, then work.

When I was in, people were saying I was crazy for getting out; what the heck ever. Some people are just too afraid and rather play it safe. Yea, some loved the military, but others hated being in but stayed in, those are the ones who are miserable to be around.

Make sure to have some sort of plan, like where you are going to move to. My suggestion is to move somewhere with a low cost of living and finish out school, and after that while you look for work, no use throwing your money away on living costs. Make sure you have no gap in health coverage. Save as much money as possible, just save and save some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues