Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times

Advertisements

I went through boot camp recently (2011) and most of the other recruits had a lot of appreciation for their girlfriends back home during that 3 months away from home. So it was no surprise that so many of them got married almost immediately after boot camp. I always said that it was a mistake to marry so young, but some of those guys had been with these girls for many years before leaving home, and at 18 or 19 you really don't know better. But then again I went in a bit older than everyone else and had a few more years of relationship experience under my belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Why specifically at that time?
Very simple really.

When you know you might die in combat you want to at least have someone to remember you and maybe leave an heir to carry on your name as your ticket to immortality.

A man is not really dead until people forget his name.............

Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
1. Money and housing benefits
2. Not wanting to get stationed separately from this person they think they are in love with. Marriage is the ONLY way to prevent going to separate bases.
3. Immaturity and being away from home for the first time
4. Loneliness and despair, wanting to ensure you have someone by your side and won't move to a new place where you know no one.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM

Oh yeah, and if the spouse is a civilian, they can now get health insurance for free. Not to mention that young ranking troops CAN NOT live with a civilian unless they are married. If a bf/gf wants to move to where the new military member is, they CAN NOT live together, as the single military member must live in the dorms. It is the ONLY way they can be together off base or even on base.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Marriage is the ONLY way to prevent going to separate bases.
Sometimes... Guess it depends on the service, MOS, rank maybe some other "it depends" on issues...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
dorms hell, we had to live on the ship in the same rack whether you were underway or on the beach. once you made e-4 you could get on the wait list for housing if you were single, but getting married was your only way to real housing.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM

50,333 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My son's longtime girlfriend followed him down to where he was stationed after she graduated from college. She had rented an apartment in a bad area over the internet, had no job and no medical insurance. They got married at City Hall before his first deployment so she would have the benefit of the support of the Army, and could get away from that apartment. It's still up in the air, whether or not it will turn out to be a good match or not, although she's a nice and ambitious girl.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sometimes... Guess it depends on the service, MOS, rank maybe some other "it depends" on issues...

Not saying marriage guarantees it, but it's the only chance, usually.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They see what barracks life is like....and see how much nicer it would be sleeping with a spouse being married....
I base housing too!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
No need of one for me, you didn't earn more if you were married and the waiting list for married quarters was 3 years. Back then unless I was married my child didn't receive any money from me if I snuffed it and there is no benefit to the family with regards to health care as it's free here anyway. I took a 50% wage cut to join.
I enlisted to avoid being drafted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues