Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times

Advertisements

Was I the only military vet who chose not to stand in line for 2 hours for a free meal? Although I truly, truly appreciate the gesture from restaurants who offer free meals to veterans on Military Appreciation Day, I just can’t bring myself to stand in line for more than an hour for a free $10 meal. Instead, I went to Taco Bell and ordered the Taco Supreme, Nachos Bell Grande and the Burrito Supreme with a cup of water and called it a night; no muss, no fuss .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I have never went to a restaurant for a free meal on Veterans Day, I just don't see the appeal to it, especially when you are in a military town where everyone else is going to do it.

Only free meal I have received was after a late day of work, I went out to a Mexican restaurant. When I asked for the check, the waitress told me that the guy who was sitting next to me (he had already left) had already paid my bill. I left the waitress a $15 tip.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,907 times
Army_Guy,

No, you were not the only one, but maybe for a different reason! I didn't go, because I felt the money for these meals could have been spent in a better way, instead of providing a free meal for passed Vets., give it to those who are presently serving or who may have problems after returning home again! This is just my opinion, so don't everyone jump down my throat!

Semper-fi
Dan in Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densuke View Post
Army_Guy,

No, you were not the only one, but maybe for a different reason! I didn't go, because I felt the money for these meals could have been spent in a better way, instead of providing a free meal for passed Vets., give it to those who are presently serving or who may have problems after returning home again! This is just my opinion, so don't everyone jump down my throat!

Semper-fi
Dan in Myrtle Beach, SC
I totally agree with you.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I have PTSD, I can't stand crowds even if they are made up of veterans and their families. I don't enjoy eating out and would rather eat at home.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
I ate there and enjoyed it, felt like I was in a military mess hall, in a lot of ways.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I ate there and enjoyed it, felt like I was in a military mess hall, in a lot of ways.
Did they make you wash?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM

231 posts, read 495,246 times
Did, not report to the "mess hall". Our entire population is getting to be dependant on "free stuff". I can afford to buy my own meals. Would rather it be spent on those who need it, but how to determine them.

My family did not ask for schlorship help for my college, as they felt it would take those dollars from someone actually in need of it. Same for my daughter's nursing degree..four years paid by me and her, no government help in anyway!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Was I the only military vet who chose not to stand in line for 2 hours for a free meal? Although I truly, truly appreciate the gesture from restaurants who offer free meals to veterans on Military Appreciation Day, I just can’t bring myself to stand in line for more than an hour for a free $10 meal. Instead, I went to Taco Bell and ordered the Taco Supreme, Nachos Bell Grande and the Burrito Supreme with a cup of water and called it a night; no muss, no fuss .
After I spent forever in TGI Fridays which did a military special on Monday, I do not blame you.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
I wonder how many people lied to get a free meal
and was never in the military ?

There are people who will lie just about anything ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues