Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Stop. Just stop. The AFOQT is no more difficult than any other standardized test. It just has a tricky nature to it because it focuses on cognitive skills. It's not an LSAT, they don't care about your two cents on the economy in 200 words or less....

Furthermore, it really doesn't even measure intelligence beyond being able to meet a nominal floor of cognitive skills. I've known people ace all sections of the test who ended up dropping out of college. I've always been average at standard test taking and I was able to score in the 80s for the sections that mattered to me (pilot/nav/quant/mech). It just takes some prep. But it certainly isn't any more involved than prepping for any other standard test. High GPA, no disqualifying medical conditions, and no DUIs and not too many people applying at the same time as you, will go a longer way towards landing you an OTS slot than merely acing the AFOQT.

Honestly, competing for 300 slots a year or whatever the number is these days under an OTS application is way harder than just putting up with the silliness of four years at your garden variety ROTC detachment. But for the post-college crowd yeah, OTS would be the only route left if you seek full-time AD money (I speak of AF only, I'm not privy to the Navy/Army/MC discussion). I won't get into discussions about the full-time Guard/Reserve because frankly those are the hardest positions to get and comprise a whopping 15% of the Reserves. These positions get fought for between the part-timers looking for full-time work and every swinging dick and harry off active duty looking for a full-time job to replace his cheddar job on the AD.

If one is thinking about the AVSAB when compared to the AFOQT, then yeah it makes the AVSAB look like color-by-numbers (and it largely is, sadly), but that doesn't mean the AFOQT is asking you to write down math proofs cold turkey on the prescribed 15 minutes per section.

As to the rest of your posts about the AF officer recruitment, you're overstating the case. I had plenty speeding tickets prior to meeting a board, and I got in. And I got into the Reserves for a pilot position, which is arguably the hardest thing to accomplish from an economies of scale POV. The economy also dictates what kind of candidate is good enough to get in one year, and not good enough the other.

All that said, one thing we can and do agree on. AD pay is obscene for what most Air Force officers do. This is really the draw to military service on the O side. A Public Affairs shoe[clerck] makes the same jack making powerpoint slides about the daycare center, then goes home to her suburban cul-de-sac after getting her nails done, as does the platoon lead O-2 getting hell and shrapnel rained down on him 6 months out of the year. Where else can you be a generic BS degree holder and by simple function of keeping your nose clean and having a pulse have bestowed upon you an "automatic qualification" promotion to O-3 and stand to make as a median close to 90K. Which, accounting for the fact that close to 25% of the military gross income comes from tax free BAH/BAS means that, as a civilian, to take home what this military cat makes you'd have to gross about 105K. Does the median communication degree holder make 105K 4 years removed from college? Heck, no, most E-5s make more than the comm degree holder 4 years removed from college. This all assuming married BAH in the median zip code, 4 years removed from college.

Even the federal GS wage scale, which has equivalency scales based on education, states that 90K (again civilian pay, this doesn't even compensate for mil tax free, but lets call it even for the platoon lead since he is, after all, getting shot at) is effectively GS-13 money, which is PhD and/or 7+years of specific experience. And we're talking about lowly Captains here. 3 year TIS O-2s making 75K military? And O-4 and O-5s? Forget it, off the charts. Absent these payscales, many of my peers privately confess there would not be anywhere near the level of "vounteerism" among them, which this country takes for granted. So yes, for the forced moves and the AF blue kool-aid bullc--, there's good money to be banked for your troubles. I still wouldn't do it, which is why I went Reserves and take a hefty paycut to do the same job, but I recognize that for those whom the tradeoff works for, it's a good deal. Good luck to all.

Did I let the cat out the bag yet?...
I didn't compare it to the LSAT, but to the SAT (which high schoolers take). You are saying it isn't harder than a test given to high school Juniors? Hmmmm. It is harder.

It might not have been really hard for you, but it is considered to be a very hard test by the majority of people who have taken it. It is even harder when you are 30 years old and have been out of school long enough to forget fractions and other "simple" things that are represented on the test. When preparing for the SAT and ACT, you are in school, actively using those concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 47,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Officer Candidates needs to be obvious leaders. Do you have ay type of experience leading others?
Well, I have just been the type of person who takes risks. I've traveled to different countries and held volunteer positions. Would this count for something?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 47,489 times
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the wealth of information and food for thought you've provided. I really appreciate your posts.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 01:37 PM

43 posts, read 290,438 times
I think you are too old. My husband is going through this process right now (not becoming an officer, but getting in the military) and the AF requires you to be in boot camp before your 28th bday. I actually asked about this too because I thought about joining with my husband and he told me that I would have to have an age wavier, which they sometime approve and sometimes dont... and I just turned 28. But that rule doesnt apply to prior service, prior service you have until you are 33 to enlist. My husband just turned 32, so he is making the decision now, since he was prior Army a few years ago.
That is all I know about it.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,046 times
Smile Becoming an Air Force Officer

Hi All,

I am 21, I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. I am thinking about joining the air force. My Gpa is a 3.63. I have not taken the Officers test yet, but wanted to get an idea of what my chances of getting in would be. I tried to get in touch with recruiters in my area,but did not have any luck.
Also, do officers get to pick where they want to be stationed?
Thank You for your time!!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
my oldest daughter got rejected for being too tall. she tried to get into the air force as an officer and was told her height was too tall.

she has a masters in both chemical and mechanical engineering.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1209 View Post
Also, do officers get to pick where they want to be stationed?
Services generally do officers about the same way-each station has certain units that need certain types of officers. For instance, C-17s do not exist at Scott Air Force Base as a permanent unit, so there's probably not a lot of C-17 Pilots permanently at Scott.

Officers get to express a preference where they want to be stationed.

The branch manager/detailer/career office will take those preferences into account, but ultimately will assign officers where there is a valid, open or opening slot for their specialty, with career progression taken into account, and family needs/wants considered.

Most tours have a set length to them. After a few years, you are considered for reassignment-it is both for your own good (if you're in an unpleasant location, you probably want out eventually, and then there's a slot that has to be filled-so someone from a great location will eventually have to go to replace you).

Since most officers get the same base pay for the same rank/time in service, the AF can't adjust pay scales to 'attract' people to unpleasant locations like a civilian firm can. If it wasn't done the current way, there'd be 50,000 officers in Hawaii and nobody in North Dakota. Somebody's got to be in Minot.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
my oldest daughter got rejected for being too tall. she tried to get into the air force as an officer and was told her height was too tall.

she has a masters in both chemical and mechanical engineering.
How tall is she?

BTW, a double masters in engineering is pretty unusual. I can imagine the Navy would be quite interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues