Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:20 PM

98 posts, read 685,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To get a 'good' score, 31 years old:
Pushups: 77 for 100 points, 67 for 90 points.
Situps: 82 for 100 points, 73 for 90 points.
Run: 13:18 for 100 points, 14:12 for 90 points.
Another insiders question that'll be great having is..

Can I take a break the first minute of push-ups for 5-10 seconds getting up if wanting to?
E.g, An hour ago I did 51 push ups in exactly 1 minute, it'd be ideal if I can just get up and strentch my arms for a few seconds and then 1:15 to 2 minute mark finish up with 25-30 more push ups

Situps, same thing to the above..will the soldier taking my time will make valid for situp test taking 5-10 seconds breaks getting up, etc. I kind of believe it'll be without any second break or standing up for any seconds..so would be fine knowing.

2 mile run in 13:18, oh yes, that's the one that's certainly a big one at least for now. Cool thing I've enough time before being shipped out..

The more insights the better, will keep giving away forum points as always! Thanks guys! Just want that APFT badge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
Another insiders question that'll be great having is..

Can I take a break the first minute of push-ups for 5-10 seconds getting up if wanting to?
E.g, An hour ago I did 51 push ups in exactly 1 minute, it'd be ideal if I can just get up and strentch my arms for a few seconds and then 1:15 to 2 minute mark finish up with 25-30 more push ups

Situps, same thing to the above..will the soldier taking my time will make valid for situp test taking 5-10 seconds breaks getting up, etc. I kind of believe it'll be without any second break or standing up for any seconds..so would be fine knowing.

2 mile run in 13:18, oh yes, that's the one that's certainly a big one at least for now. Cool thing I've enough time before being shipped out..

The more insights the better, will keep giving away forum points as always! Thanks guys! Just want that APFT badge!
You can't 'get up'. Your palms must remain on the ground the entire 2 minutes. You can scootch them left and right, and sag in the middle or stick your butt in the air, but when you do a pushup, your body has to descend as a single unit and rise as a single unit.

Same for situps-you can rest, but it has to be in the 'up' position. You can't rest with your back on the ground.

Get FM21-20 and read it or look for youtube videos to see what I mean.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
If an Army Officer Candidate is close to graduating and has passed every test administered from the beginning of their training, but the officer candidate failed a test towards the end of the training; what does the Army consider as an extreme circumstance for an exception of the rule; to allow the candidate to retake the test; to avoid recycling the candidate for the next upcoming class.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,086,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenancios View Post
If an Army Officer Candidate is close to graduating and has passed every test administered from the beginning of their training, but the officer candidate failed a test towards the end of the training; what does the Army consider as an extreme circumstance for an exception of the rule; to allow the candidate to retake the test; to avoid recycling the candidate for the next upcoming class.
More specifically, if you're talking about the 2nd history test at OCS, I would recommend asking your cadre what the current policy is.

When I went through, you were given a retest if you failed the 2nd history test. If you failed that, you would recycle to the next class behind you. We had some inserts for the 2nd history test and we also had some folks recycle to the next class behind us. They commissioned 3 weeks after we did.

Not sure what the current policy is, though.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,943 times
A 45 is a miserable score for an Officer. Take the advice in this thread and go do something worthwhile with your time. Most Officers I know scored a 90 or above with no studying.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
A 45 is a miserable score for an Officer. Take the advice in this thread and go do something worthwhile with your time. Most Officers I know scored a 90 or above with no studying.
I think that he enlisted in the National Guard, not sure if he is planning to go thru their OCS program.

Actually, that is a good move for him IMO. He just might do very well going that route. I do kinda wonder how he'll like military life, especially the first part of it (BCT, etc).

Old 05-09-2014, 12:02 PM

950 posts, read 1,261,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
I'm not sure were you got a maximum of 3 times to take the test. Based upon a 24-month wait period, you can take the test as many times as you want until you reach the age limit.

It doesn't appear the military is for. There are lots of enlisted-to-officer soldiers. Your attitude of not ever wanting to enlist will be a very large hurdle to overcome when trying to earn the respect of your soldiers.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but there are only two options to become an Army officer: ROTC and enlistment.

But since you've already finished college, in order to attend OCS, you must enlist. That's what I mean when I say taking the test more than once will not fit your plans. If you don't have a "qualifying" score for the occupation you want, and you choose NOT to enlist into a filed your score qualifies for, you must wait 24-months to retake the exam. By that time, you will be too old for eligibility.

If you have a "qualifying" score for a particular occupation, but not for OCS, you may enlist. You can apply for OCS after your enlistment, but you will have to re-take the ASVAB to meet the minimum requirement to gain eligibility.

Bottom line is you must be an enlisted member to apply for OCS.
My late father years ago took a test for OCS when he was at Chanute AFB back in the late 40s,early 50s.
He ranked number 3 on the test, third highest score,however he didn't get a commision. Daddy was told he was over the age limit.He was a sargent or staff sargent when he took the test. He later became a chief mastersargent and served for 33 years in the Airforce. It bothered him i think all these years maybe because he felt his age really shouldn't have mattered in regards to getting a commision.
I would think one would have to enlist in the military before you would even be considered for OCS.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post

Appreciate your input, but one thing I remember is that as a reserve you automatically qualify is you pass basic training, pass the board review, get 110 GT and everything checks out with clearance. The recruiter assured me that for Army Reserves it's way different than active duty officer.

Perhaps you could expand here, interesting to see that by a post you believe that army couldn't be interested in me. The reason I follow up is that you confirmed you went through OCS and you might have passed it? Somewhat atypical to see your conclusions with so little intel in my civil experienced opinion Either way, keen to know your reasons why of your conclusion? Would be quite nice actually Intuition?

I psychically a slob? Maybe, can't confirm it yet and I don't know how you came to that conclusion either. Insufficient details of my height, B.M.I and judgement is immediately passed with little to no intel. Oh well, I do appreciate your well directed intentions even if they come by mere speculation? An interesting detail and fact is that the Army or OCS board might find interesting in my limited military experience, is that slobs often don't pay $1,233 per month of mortgage at 31 years of age alone when the unemployment rate is as high as 19% in my beloved Puerto Rico. Potential unshaped slobs definitely aren't fluent in 2 languages with 'ok' fluency in a third one In my case, I don't need the Army, I pretty much think it might be the other way around since exams don't confirm leadership or overall value of a potential candidate, leadership does in my experience. I am still evaluating the 20 year investment carefully. It's these type of response and conclusion that might drive me nuts as one thing I still lack is patience with mature, grown men. We all human right, no worries.

It would still be nice for you to follow-up on some of your conclusions, I did find your written words genuine and interesting, sir. Thanks for your input.

OMG don't listen to him!! You can do anything you put your mind to! You can make it!!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:32 PM

950 posts, read 1,261,001 times
Default AFQT below45?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
I'm not sure were you got a maximum of 3 times to take the test. Based upon a 24-month wait period, you can take the test as many times as you want until you reach the age limit.

It doesn't appear the military is for. There are lots of enlisted-to-officer soldiers. Your attitude of not ever wanting to enlist will be a very large hurdle to overcome when trying to earn the respect of your soldiers.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but there are only two options to become an Army officer: ROTC and enlistment.

But since you've already finished college, in order to attend OCS, you must enlist. That's what I mean when I say taking the test more than once will not fit your plans. If you don't have a "qualifying" score for the occupation you want, and you choose NOT to enlist into a filed your score qualifies for, you must wait 24-months to retake the exam. By that time, you will be too old for eligibility.

If you have a "qualifying" score for a particular occupation, but not for OCS, you may enlist. You can apply for OCS after your enlistment, but you will have to re-take the ASVAB to meet the minimum requirement to gain eligibility.

Bottom line is you must be an enlisted member to apply for OCS.
You're right on that about being enlisted.Years ago when my late father was at Chanute AFB they were looking for men to become officers.It was i assume to replace those killed during WW2.He took the exam and had the third highest score did really well,but was told he wouldn't get a commision since he was over the age limit. It must have really bothered him after all those years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues