Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 06:06 PM

8 posts, read 34,842 times

Advertisements

This is an ideal hypothetical: husband and I enter Navy at the same time (Navy because they offer best student loan repayment + healthcare jobs). He is able to get a pharmacist job, I am able to get a healthcare administration job. Is it likely that we would be stationed together? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Hypothetical?

Enter Navy at the same time? You mean as in take the oath?

Officer or Enlisted?

What makes you think you can both go in at the same time?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Is he a licensed pharmacist now, and what do you do for a living are you a registered nurse?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
USUALLY people are stationed together if married. It is RARE not to be. Sometimes the higher ranking officers are harder to station together because positions are fewer. The other thing that would be hard is if you were both doing a rare job. For example, if you did a job that could only be stationed at a couple bases, and his job could only be stationed at a couple bases, and those bases did not overlap. I've been in 12 years, and I've never met an enlisted person married to enlisted that was stationed apart for any length of time. I do have some friends now who are going to be apart for about a month because she had earlier orders than he did, but then he quickly got orders.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:20 PM

184 posts, read 328,579 times
The hardest part of being a dual military family is if/when you have kids and you both get deployed or are on sea duty at the same time. Be prepared to sign papers stating who will raise your children in that situation. I got out of the navy for that reason. My husband continued on and retired from the USMC. Just make sure you look at the big picture not just the immediate issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues