Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 AM

950 posts, read 925,031 times

Advertisements

I was curious as to how many people availed themselves to this program. I read that so few people did, there was a big chunk of Federal $$$$$$ that went unused and the program might be dropped due to low participation.

I needed hip replacement and my Orthopedic consultant mentioned the VA hospital 280 miles away. He then stated he would find a closer hospital under a new VA program.

I got sent to a new ( 1 year old) civilian hospital for the surgery and everything turned out GREAT !

The VA picked up the tab and I never received a bill.
The VA even authorized in home therapy if I wanted it or needed it.

Thank you...........VA !

I will be having my other hip done later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
If you are 280 miles away from the nearest VA Hospital and over 60 miles from the nearest CBOC, get use to this. You will start being asked if you want all your care to be provided by contracted health professionals in the private sector. The VA Health Care System is in shambles due to the open door policy of providing any and all health care regardless of service connection or not. It is impossible for the current system to properly handle the millions of veterans seeking care for everything and anything. What is proposed is to keep the current system for inpatient use and just send everyone else to a private providers similar to the Medicaid program.

Unfortunately, you won't believe this but some veterans are actually complaining because they feel they should be taken care of at a VA Hospital by VA Doctors. To them it doesn't seem to be about proper medical care, but more about being the "veteran" getting what they are owed. I can't figure them out.

Glad you received the care needed and it was a good experience. We need to hear more positive stories like this versus they more typical whining and moaning about everything.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:44 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
I am trying to get this. We have a liaison clinic close to me which is great. I don't have to go to the VA hospital which is close to 2 hours away-one way. I have been using this clinic for YEARS. They have ALWAYS let me use the local civilian hospital to get my mammogram. The problem is they can't keep personal-especially for the Women's Clinic. So, they set me up with an appointment at the VA hospital. I called them to say that it is a hardship for me to get there. (I am legally blind and would need to find transportation). I asked them if I could use a civilian doctor. They are going to see if I qualify. Hopefully, I will know in the next week or so.

Cat

Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you are 280 miles away from the nearest VA Hospital and over 60 miles from the nearest CBOC, get use to this. You will start being asked if you want all your care to be provided by contracted health professionals in the private sector. The VA Health Care System is in shambles due to the open door policy of providing any and all health care regardless of service connection or not. It is impossible for the current system to properly handle the millions of veterans seeking care for everything and anything. What is proposed is to keep the current system for inpatient use and just send everyone else to a private providers similar to the Medicaid program.

Unfortunately, you won't believe this but some veterans are actually complaining because they feel they should be taken care of at a VA Hospital by VA Doctors. To them it doesn't seem to be about proper medical care, but more about being the "veteran" getting what they are owed. I can't figure them out.

Glad you received the care needed and it was a good experience. We need to hear more positive stories like this versus they more typical whining and moaning about everything.

Doesn't this also apply if you have to wait more than 30 days for an appointment?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Doesn't this also apply if you have to wait more than 30 days for an appointment?

yes

Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
There are two programs most known to veterans. One is simply known as the Permanent Program and the other as the Temporary program. The Permanent Program is based on your ability to access VA healthcare within your area where distance from a VA health care facility (Hospital or CBOC) is the basis. The Temporary Program is based on the time it takes to get an appointment. The Temporary pogrom is being reviewed to make it part of the existing (permanent) program.

The problem with both of these programs is it still can not address the needs as it is. In some areas, veterans who are part of the permanent program still can not get care except in an emergency because the health providers do not participate or accept VA payments. So, although you may be 100 miles from the nearest VA health care center, if no doctors are participating, you may be forced (except in an emergency) to travel to the VA.

The problem with the temporary program is it's based on availability of care not necessarily on your availability for that care. So if the VA can get you in in 2 weeks but you will be away for that period and the next appointment is 6 weeks away, you are not eligible for the temporary program because you are refusing the available appointment. Not to mention the same issues with provider availability. However, it is helping reduce the wait times and backlog so it is a positive step forward despite any hiccups.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 PM

I just heard on the news there is another big problem with this program ( the 30 day wait )

It stated veterans were showing up for appointments only to be told their appointment was canceled ( many were not notified)

Any time an appointment got canceled by the provider , a new 30 day time period started up.

That is just not right !

It was on TV news headlines under............"problems still exist despite new VA program "

Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Mar. 4, 2015 10:25 am Pete Kasperowicz

"The Veterans of Foreign Wars has released a survey showing that the Department of Veterans Affairs is having major problems implementing a new program aimed at ensuring veterans can receive care outside the VA system, and that 80 percent of veterans who qualify for the program aren’t being given a chance to use it.

VFW’s survey focused on the ability of veterans to use the new Veterans Choice Program, which Congress created last year and the VA implemented in November. Under the program, veterans who can’t get VA care after 30 days, or who live at least 40 miles from the nearest VA center, have the option of getting care outside the VA."
ENTIRE ARTICLE AT: Survey shows VA is botching the very program meant to fix initial health care mess | TheBlaze.com

Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
"VFW Releases Initial Report on the Veterans Choice Program
VFW recommendations would improve delivery of health care options for veterans

March 03, 2015

WASHINGTON — The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. will deliver to Congress this week its initial report on the implementation of the new Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Choice Program. The report is based on a survey of more than 2,500 VFW members over the first three months of the Veterans Choice Program, which VA launched on November 5, 2014."

ENTIRE ARTICLE AT:
VFW - Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Report: Veterans Choice Program, Initial Report, Compiled by the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., March 2, 2015 is a 14 page PDF document.

https://www.vfw.org/uploadedFiles/VF...ementation.pdf

Old 04-26-2015, 01:43 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I am trying to get this. We have a liaison clinic close to me which is great. I don't have to go to the VA hospital which is close to 2 hours away-one way. I have been using this clinic for YEARS. They have ALWAYS let me use the local civilian hospital to get my mammogram. The problem is they can't keep personal-especially for the Women's Clinic. So, they set me up with an appointment at the VA hospital. I called them to say that it is a hardship for me to get there. (I am legally blind and would need to find transportation). I asked them if I could use a civilian doctor. They are going to see if I qualify. Hopefully, I will know in the next week or so.

Cat

Follow-up.

I was approved to use the local woman's clinic-that is the good news. The bad news is that my appointment isn't until Sept. People have complained about the long waits with the V.A. I could have gotten in last week at the V.A. if I wanted to travel. Because I didn't want to do so, now I have to wait for the civilian clinic. Luckily this is just routine.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues