Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
When they eliminated the draft, people in the military quickly became "them" instead of "us" to intellectual / media / "creative" folks.

And it is always so easy to make "them" the bad guy, the criminal, the scapegoat. After all, it couldn't be "us"......
You mean like Rambo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Well, the alternative is to show how boring it is most of the time, and that wouldn't work. However, it is also true that some soldiers do get pretty excited in intense combat situations and sometimes don't do what is in the best social interests of America.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM

79 posts, read 292,073 times
When I was growing up, it seemed there was a Vietnam Vet mowing folks down on The Mod Squad on a pretty regular basis.

The theme seemed even more common then (the 70's) than now. Even Rambo started that way, as I recall. At the time I saw the first film, he seemed tragic but not heroic and out of the Mod Squad mold. I'm not sure the idea of making him a hero was in the creators' minds until the public reaction made them see dollar signs.

This sort of thing decreased a little from the 80's and especially in the wake of 9/11, but is still too common for my taste -- it's predictable, lazy and annoying.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I agree with the OP and dislike seeing people denigrate our military. There are those who make disparaging remarks about servicemen and women and say they behave as if their actions are noble. In my opinion, a person making such derogatory comments is equal to a traitor to his country. If I'm too harsh, it's because of recently reading posts that made me sick to my stomach.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Movies and even documentaries can sometimes promote negative stereotypes. Stereotypes are overgeneralizations; they often involve assuming a person has certain characteristics based on unfounded assumptions.

Obviously, there is a big gap between military culture and civilian society, most if not all civilians still rely heavily on media to get information about military. If Media promotes negative stereotypes, then public tend to over generalize.

Example:

http://terminallance.com/media/comic...g_News_web.gif

I personally believe that media portrait of the veteran is incomplete. Some of my veteran friends do return physically and emotionally shattered. But vast majority of my former veteran friends are not only proud of having served, but feel that it made them much stronger.

War films are categorically unique to any other genre of cinema. And this uniqueness requires that war films have a certain moral expectation and responsibility that other genres of cinema do not share. War is violent and should be portrayed honestly. War Films Cannot Serve as Political Propaganda and they should be historically accurate. Sadly, some war film makers don't really follow these rules.

There is no doubt that there are some veterans traumatized by war. Americans need to hear their stories. But pretending that this is every veteran's experience is wrong.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
I think that the Howard Unruh case (Camden, N.J., 1949) had a lot to do with starting the "crazy vet" character/stereotype.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I posted a thread over in the Entertainment forum but here I am venting a bit.

I am sick and tired of former soldiers being portrayed as the criminal on so many TV shows and movies. It seems if there is a criminal element, almost certainly it is some ex-military person, usually with highly specialized skills and having been on active duty in a special unit of some kind.
Actually, I get a kick out of it that is all they see.

There was some TV movie, a Mimi Rogers one I think, where they were looking for someone who was an expert at martial arts, climbing, and a sniper...............and all they were looking for were SEALs, maybe Rangers. As far as that movie was concerned, there were no other types in the Navy who were trained like that.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK8 View Post
When I was growing up, it seemed there was a Vietnam Vet mowing folks down on The Mod Squad on a pretty regular basis.

The theme seemed even more common then (the 70's) than now. Even Rambo started that way, as I recall. At the time I saw the first film, he seemed tragic but not heroic and out of the Mod Squad mold. I'm not sure the idea of making him a hero was in the creators' minds until the public reaction made them see dollar signs.

This sort of thing decreased a little from the 80's and especially in the wake of 9/11, but is still too common for my taste -- it's predictable, lazy and annoying.

By the 80s the characters would have been too old to be Vietnam Vets the gulf War was the best thing to ever happen to Hollywood. How so many got into major scrapes in 100 hours of ground combat to fill fictional stories for two decades still amazes me. After 9/11 things were different but by 2005 I started seeing a pattern. Afghanistan vets were good guys while Iraq vets were bad guys. However since pulling out from Iraq in order not to age the characters needlessly all vets, except older guys are Afghanistan veterans.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:06 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
In the current BBC series "Sherlock" (Sherlock Holmes set in the 21st century London), his Dr. John Watson is a disabled veteran of Afghanistan.

Interestingly, the Dr John Watson in the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories was also a disabled veteran of Afghanistan--from England's earlier campaign in that country.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
There are at least two old threads on this forum that addresses this topic. Good and bad films and programs, realistic and unrealistic ones are commented on. A search back might be worthwhile, and perhaps bumping them up to active by adding an opinion could be of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues