Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 PM

98 posts, read 685,575 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

So after passing MEPS and finally swearing in this week in the National Guard, my recruiter has
no idea if the Army/National Guard pays my mortgage while I am at BCT.

Basically, I am single without kids and never married. I've a few months in BCT/OSUT,
is my recruiter right by just recommending I bring paperwork to BCT? It's more then $4,000
for just 3 and 3 weeks with maintenance so getting a little worried if I've to dry up some of my
savings for this. One e-8 recruiter/supervisor told me there's a percentage that gets paid,
but I can't reach this master sergeant. Need facts if available..

Will talk to 2 higher rank fellows tomorrow but perhaps someone has a regulation
I can re-direct myself for the "what to do" and know-how"

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Unless the guard does something completely different than the active duty services your mortgage doesn't get paid by anyone but you. You'll get your base pay and Basic Allowance for Housing (if you're qualified for bah) and it is up to you to pay your mortgage.

In the Navy a single E1 would not qualify for BAH so you'd be left paying your mortgage out of your base pay which would take everything you made.

I'm no expert on the guard but to me it sounds like someone isn't telling you the whole story.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
if your single, you can ask to be paid BAH Type ll while in basic

thats approx $550 a month -- to help pay your rent while you are gone
Wondering if this is all started at MEPS while officially enlisting this week.
Bah type 2 is great if the above is still accurate in 2014..

Last edited by Joaco; 04-22-2014 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: re: just found this answer and posting it here for the community here for feedback

Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Unless the guard does something completely different than the active duty services your mortgage doesn't get paid by anyone but you. You'll get your base pay and Basic Allowance for Housing (if you're qualified for bah) and it is up to you to pay your mortgage.

In the Navy a single E1 would not qualify for BAH so you'd be left paying your mortgage out of your base pay which would take everything you made.

I'm no expert on the guard but to me it sounds like someone isn't telling you the whole story.
Yes indeed, very iffy so to speak in my brain as well..

Left and right here, but no certainty here yet. Thanks for the addition mate, guess this is my new biggie here.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM

MEPS has nothing to do with BAH...your Recruiter is the one that should be telling you how this works in the Guard.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
MEPS has nothing to do with BAH...your Recruiter is the one that should be telling you how this works in the Guard.
This is why it's so odd/strange, 1st recruiter told me I needed an affidavit along with mortgage paperwork and now my second/switched and final recruiter told me I should bring all of that with me to MEPS for processing. Still a bit uncertain here. Will talk with more experienced recruiters tomorrow and hoping for the best.

Thanks again mate.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
This is why it's so odd/strange, 1st recruiter told me I needed an affidavit along with mortgage paperwork and now my second/switched and final recruiter told me I should bring all of that with me to MEPS for processing. Still a bit uncertain here. Will talk with more experienced recruiters tomorrow and hoping for the best.

Thanks again mate.
Your military pay and benefits will go to a banking facility which you designate. You just have to make sure the money arrives at the bank when you write the check. You might also call your bank and ask/tell them of your possible situation...

You do have a bank account, I hope.

Paperwork, It sounds like you may be trying to make an allotment to have your mortgage holder receive payment for you mortgage. That is possible. But, I am not grasping the entire issue, I'm like that now that I'm older...

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM

63 posts, read 124,398 times
If it is possible, contact your mortgage holder and see if they will auto deduct your mortgage payment from your savings while you are in basic and further training. Then also designate that your pay goes to that same savings account. If you do qualify for the housing allowance either have it go to that same account or let the bah office know where your mortgage is appropriate information. If your pay doesn't kick in until later, your mortgage is covered by the savings. Your savings would be replenished once your pay kicks in. Also, the bah would then go into your savings to help pay your payments once it happens (if this applicable).

Being behind on a mortgage due to a problem like this is not a small matter. Especially if there is a simpler route to take. Much easier to replenish a savings than try to repair the blemish on your credit report or with your mortgage company.

Make sure your FI has online access and you are able to check it. You can always move money from your savings once you are out.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your military pay and benefits will go to a banking facility which you designate. You just have to make sure the money arrives at the bank when you write the check. You might also call your bank and ask/tell them of your possible situation...

You do have a bank account, I hope.

Paperwork, It sounds like you may be trying to make an allotment to have your mortgage holder receive payment for you mortgage. That is possible. But, I am not grasping the entire issue, I'm like that now that I'm older...
I think he wants to know how soon or if he will be receiving BAH during basic.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think he wants to know how soon or if he will be receiving BAH during basic.
That is what I thought he was asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues