Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM

534 posts, read 1,172,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousforareason View Post
The story was actually written by someone else but before it was published I read and approved of it...It was a combination of my real back ground and a fabrication of service and awards. It was intended to get our company an award and was supposed to be only distributed locally however it was 'erroneously' turned public when it was placed on the internet. I had an opportunity to say it was too much but let the opportunity go because I was insured it wouldn't be a big deal. Yes I know 29 is pushing the limit but I have wanted this for such a long and I have more drive now than ever. I want to make this right and I know it will be hard but I want to earn this. I am all in for a lifestyle... if I wanted a paycheck I would look for a job. Instead, I want this... I just want to make sure this isn't going to stop me from completing it.

What bothers me here is what I see as an unwillingness to take responsibility.

Someone else wrote a story about you and painted you as both 1) a veteran and 2) a veteran who is decorated. If you allowed it to be published with falsifications that were that glaring, you're just as culpable as the writer. I don't buy it as simply a case of you "going along" with someone else to make your office or company look good. Inventing a record of military service for someone is a bit more than a simple embellishment.

No, this may not affect enlistment eligibility, but it's troubling nonetheless. And it speaks to other issues which may not have fully manifested themselves.

I am familiar with someone else who's done this - made up a story about military service. That person has more emotional issues than any single group of people should have.

I think you should seriously consider talking about this with a medical professional - not on the internet, on a web forum, and most definitely NOT on the self-licking ice cream cone of personal validation that is Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,007,938 times
Although I don't agree with your publishing of a false military career and decorations there is nothing that you did that is against the law and therefore no crime was committed, so there should be no reason for the military to deny you enlistment. Your story is just that, a story, and it is protected under the 1st amendment as free speech.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:31 PM

24,322 posts, read 13,176,272 times
While the first Stolen Valor Act of 2005 was deemed unconstitutional by the SCOTUS, the follow on Act of 2013 makes it a crime for a person to fraudulently claim having received any of a series of particular military decorations with the intention of obtaining money, property, or other tangible benefit from convincing someone that he or she rightfully did receive that award; it says nothing about claiming to have been in the military and done things that were never done. As long as no profit followed, it's legal. Ethical? Not in my opinion. And as I mentioned in a previous post, may come back to bite the OP square in the hindquarters when it comes time to have a background investigation for a clearance, especially if his MOS or AFSC or rate includes a Top Secret or SCI clearance.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,010,498 times
I doubt it will matter. I'm not even sure how anyone would find out. Just don't mention it.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,664,577 times
What's big news in your little town means nothing to the rest of the world...
Go enlist in another town. And tell them you want to go right away, don't tell anyone in your little town about it..... Just disappear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues