Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 AM

383 posts, read 430,439 times

Advertisements

I am not a veteran. The closest to military life I have ever come was having a father who was a Marine. I have an emergency on Veterans' Day and have no idea whom to contact tomorrow.

As my screen name suggests, I recently relocated to a new state about 1000 miles from where I was born, raised, and lived most of my life. I am disabled and relocated for several reasons, one of which involved a desire to get away from very bad family of origin memories. I relocated on funds in a trust administered by a sibling now employed in a civilian capacity with the military. This sibling is a MFLC or MFLAC, and moves from place to place to counsel returning veterans.

The sibling is married to a person with a bad track record with both the law and with finances. The sibling has refused to ever give me a physical location where he/she and spouse are living at any given time.

Yesterday and just now this morning, Veterans' Day, an issue that involved my own burial policy and transferring it to my new state necessitated calls both to the insurer and to the beloved funeral director in my state of origin. Both conversations drifted to the topic of the estate funding the trust referenced above, and I was told both by the insurance company and by the embarrassed mortician that the policy I helped the deceased set up in 2007 had never been used, which fact resulted in "refunds" as unclaimed money to the beneficiaries, and, finally, that the deceased's final arrangements had never been paid at all.

After relocating to Maine, I begged the executor/trustee to give me an address near the Marine base at which he/she is working. The request was refused and led to a final rupture. I am now left to wonder if the small, small trust that I relied on to leave my state of origin--a move highly encouraged by my sibling/trustee--will be gutted by this sibling's spouse, leaving me truly helpless in a state where (outside of some of the kindest people on earth it has been my good fortune to meet) I know no one. What escalates this to emergency-status is that the trust was required to be submitted to my new state's social service system in order for my status as a disabled citizen to be assessed (on a state basis). The worst-case scenario is that the sibling's spouse will persuade the itinerant sibling to gut the trust, while my new state determines my eligibility for services based on the fact that any trust at all exists.

I have explained this in such detail because I need help badly and do not even know what department of the military administers the MFLC/MFLAC program. If anyone could tell me where in the State of California I could speak with someone about my concerns--that, due to the MFLC/MFLAC's spouse, I may have been encouraged to leave my home state specifically to be defrauded, and therefore need not to know my sibling's whereabouts but the people to whom he/she is answerable as a civilian employee of the military-- If anyone could help me with this, I would be eternally grateful.

I am so upset, I can't move.

Thank you so much if you've read this far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Contact these people: https://www.mhngs.com/app/home.content (Military & Family Life Counseling Program and Child and Youth Behavioral Program)

Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 AM

Poncho_NM, thank you so much. I know that the military does not like to get involved in any civilian matter.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
Poncho_NM, thank you so much. I know that the military does not like to get involved in any civilian matter.
That's not always true. I'm a retired U.S. soldier, I help out in my community when I can. I run errands for some senior citizens.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That's not always true. I'm a retired U.S. soldier, I help out in my community when I can. I run errands for some senior citizens.
Oh, no, sir, I didn't mean it the way it sounded. I meant that I've tried before to get military personnel to intervene in the situation I described in the original post--intervene on behalf of the sibling/civilian employee, whom I and others consider to be an abused spouse. What has happened is that military personnel will (rightly) refer well-wishers to civilian resources off the base, and civilian resources off the base will say (rightly) that if the sibling/military employee is employed by the military, then the military should be made aware of the ugly ugly situation. It's the Casey Jones train, in other words.

Dear Lord, especially considering Toys for Tots is just around the corner, I was in no way implying that the military turned a blind eye to civilians here on U.S. soil.

Thank you again, and God Bless for that link. I have searched days on end for exactly that link and would have had no way of finding it without your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues