Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 45,311 times

Advertisements

I currently a junior in college and trying to enlist in the USAF. I scored decent on my ASVAB (AFQT 82) and have never been in any trouble during my adult lifetime. I did have an incident with the law one time when i was 15. The charges were dropped and the judge told me I never had to speak of the incident. I voluntarily disclosed this information to my recruiter despite what the judge had said those years before as i did not want to be dishonest in any way. My recruiter advised me to write a waiver letter to submit to his superiors and that he would write one on my behalf as well. So the problem that I am now having is that his superiors are demanding paperwork on the incident that had happened. Before submitting the waiver I had driven 8 hrs to the Juvenile court/records in the county that the case went to court in. The person their repeatedly assured me that there was no paperwork for her to give me on the case. My recruiter also gave her a call and she told him the same thing. I have tried everything i could to get any kind of information on this case but I have run out of options. My recruiter is insisting that if I can not produce any official documentation then his superiors are not going to act on the waiver. I am not at all interested in any other branch of the government and my entire life I have wanted to join the USAF. I am desperately in need of some advice in this matter. Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
If you don't have a documented offense, why do you need a waiver? Go to another recruiter and keep your pie hole shut.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your response. Would I already be in any sort of system that he would be able to see that I have already filled out paperwork for another recruiter? Thanks again.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 PM

109 posts, read 287,591 times
Don't lie or try to conceal anything! Those records tend to show up during the background investigation for your security clearance. (And the higher your clearance, the deeper they dig.) If you get caught concealing something, you can say goodbye to your career with the Air Force (and hello to a charge of fraudulent enlistment).

Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM

So what would you suggest? As I understand that they may be able to find things out, I am not the federal government. have no access to the information that they can get. Why are they even asking me for documentation of this case when they have way better access to it than myself?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 PM

109 posts, read 287,591 times
Hopefully dmarie123 will be along shortly and can give you some good advice. (She's an AF recruiter.) I'll send you a private message in a minute with some more information.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply. I look forward to hearing from dmarie123 and I really appreciate the time that you have spent replying to my thread.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarper14 View Post
I currently a junior in college and trying to enlist in the USAF. I scored decent on my ASVAB (AFQT 82) and have never been in any trouble during my adult lifetime. I did have an incident with the law one time when i was 15. The charges were dropped and the judge told me I never had to speak of the incident. I voluntarily disclosed this information to my recruiter despite what the judge had said those years before as i did not want to be dishonest in any way. My recruiter advised me to write a waiver letter to submit to his superiors and that he would write one on my behalf as well. So the problem that I am now having is that his superiors are demanding paperwork on the incident that had happened. Before submitting the waiver I had driven 8 hrs to the Juvenile court/records in the county that the case went to court in. The person their repeatedly assured me that there was no paperwork for her to give me on the case. My recruiter also gave her a call and she told him the same thing. I have tried everything i could to get any kind of information on this case but I have run out of options. My recruiter is insisting that if I can not produce any official documentation then his superiors are not going to act on the waiver. I am not at all interested in any other branch of the government and my entire life I have wanted to join the USAF. I am desperately in need of some advice in this matter. Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.
I am an Air Force recruiter, and I've seen this situation. There are two forms your recruiter should have given you, a DD Form 396 and an AFRS Form 1419. You can find them on google, but your recruiter should have given them to you. One is for the police, and one for the court. They are self explanatory. If the police/court write on those forms that there are no records, every chain of command I have ever worked for has agreed to review the waiver. The forms are your proof that there are no records.

Your recruiter may be new, inexperienced in this, or lazy, who can say, but this should work.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 PM

Thank you very much for your reply dmarie123. I will most definitely ask my recruiter for these forms. I am so glad that I may be able to finally move past this set back. I have found a DD 369 form. I think this is the form you are referencing to. Just wanted to clarify this in case future member comes across my thread with a similar problem. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Last edited by JHarper14; 11-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Yes, the DD369 is a police records check. The other from, "AFRS1419" can be found here (I think I can post an official af.mil link?) http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/pr...9/afrs1419.xfd

You can't read the form without the software, which can be obtained here for free: http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/viewerdownload.asp

Or, your recruiter can give you a PDF so you don't have to download software. But, it's a government website (af.mil) so in my opinion, viruses aren't a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues