Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times

Advertisements

My 17 year old daughter just graduated MCT and has arrived for MOS school at Camp Johnson.

She called frantic almost...she's homesick and anxious/nervous..... she now finds herself w/ nights and weekends off AND not knowing a soul.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times
I've contacted the Jacksonville USO to see if they could send a rep over to the newbies at the MOS school for a briefing...to introduce the USO and maybe allow volunteers to staff the center one night a week or on Saturdays.

None of the MOS students are allowed POVs....so it's gonna be a task to get the Marines to the center.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
I am sure she will bond with her fellow class mates. Her biggest problem might be not having too much fun with her fellow Marines.

I the beginning she may not even be allowed to go off base. I am sure they have some type of rec center and things like that.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,470 times
Young Marines at their MOS school while at Camp Johnson all do the same thing. They take a $40 cab ride into Jacksonville strait to a hotel. They go out to eat or may be order on a pizza. Then proceed to drink as much as they can, as fast as they can while building pyramids with all their empties in the hotel window. They make way to much noise and have a knock at their door every hour or so being propositioned by a "lady of the night". They don't even have to go look for entertainment.

I was trained on the West Coast so I never did this. I know all this because after checking in to my first duty station (Lejeune), my new roommates had just finished their school at LeJeune and they took me out to do the whole hotel party think since we hadn't had time to get cars ourselves yet and that's the way they knew how to have fun. The hotel was full of students.

I'm not trying to scare you. I realize you have a daughter and not a son so I can't tell you exactly what they do because, I never had any females in my unit. I'm guessing it's a toned down version of the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I've contacted the Jacksonville USO to see if they could send a rep over to the newbies at the MOS school for a briefing...to introduce the USO and maybe allow volunteers to staff the center one night a week or on Saturdays.

None of the MOS students are allowed POVs....so it's gonna be a task to get the Marines to the center.
The USO is not even on base. A ways away from it actually. MWR (Moral Welfare Recreation) runs enlisted clubs (if I remember right) with activities. Sort of the same.

Camp Johnson has a very big E Club where students hang out, watch tv, play video games, play pool, and that type of thing. A mobile library also makes its rounds from the library at Mainside. Not everyone is a drunken heathen.

http://www.mccslejeune.com/recleisure/reccenters.html

The Camp Johnson Recreation Center, located in Bldg. M-424 is a recently renovated facility that is host to the Camp Johnson Single Marine Program (SMP). The diverse facility features a computer room housing 17 computers with free internet and printer access. Free wireless internet and printing are also available throughout the facility with a room dedicated for the wireless users. The pool room is equipped with six professional sized pool tables and is encircled by 20 of the latest video games and pin ball machines, highlighted by a state of the art computerized juke box. Located in the recreation center lobby are PS-3, Wii, X-Box 360, and X-Box game systems with a large library of games that are available for patrons to check out free of charge. For viewing of your favorite sporting events, a large screened LCD HDTV compliments the lobby. TV's throughout the recreation center are equipped with HD cable television. Located within the recreation center is a 72 seat theater where the latest movies are shown nightly. The newly renovated sports themed 4 Corners Restaurant and Lounge is an award winning eatery featuring weekly entertainment venues. An MCX convenience store is also connected to the recreation center and provides a variety of health and comfort items. A laundry room with 13 washers and dryers is located within the recreation center providing a free and convenient service for our patrons. The Camp Johnson Recreation center is a hub to sign up for off-base SMP sponsored special events that include Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, NASCAR, Medieval Times, Sporting Events, and an endless variety of "fun places" to enjoy your leisure time!
[RIGHT]
Roger Walters, Manager
Call For More Information 450-1058
[/RIGHT]
[CENTER]DAY[/CENTER]
[CENTER]
TIME[/CENTER]
Mon-Thurs 0700-2100 Friday 0700-2400 Saturday 1000-2400 Sunday 0900-2100

[CENTER]
April Events [/CENTER]
[LEFT]
8[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Hoop Fever Basketball Tournament 1730 [/LEFT]
[LEFT]
12[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Easter Celebration 1300 [/LEFT]
[LEFT]
25[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Montly Cookout 1200[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
28[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
8 Ball Pool Tournament 1730 [/LEFT]

Hope this helps.

Last edited by roundball; 03-29-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,568 times
tell her to get involved with some of the local groups, a church, the community college, intermural sports, etc. i was married by the time i got to lejeune, but it still would have been boring (especially for my wife) if we didn't have church activities and stuff.

don't get me wrong; i hated jacksonville over all. but there are some great people there that know what it is like and will help out.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 11,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
tell her to get involved with some of the local groups, a church, the community college, intermural sports, etc. i was married by the time i got to lejeune, but it still would have been boring (especially for my wife) if we didn't have church activities and stuff.

don't get me wrong; i hated jacksonville over all. but there are some great people there that know what it is like and will help out.

I will be traveling to Jacksonville to visit my marine who is stationed at Camp Johnson... He's just interring job school there. So we both don't know a whole lot about the layout and where I'd be able to stay. I'm also having a hard time finding this information ANYWHERE! If you have any ideas or advice that would be so amazing!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM

it depends on a few things; when you say that he is still in school, does that mean that it is mandatory that he live on base?

is your marine married to you or just dating? if married, then you qualify for housing under normal circumstances.

other than that, i am not sure of too much. i know that the apartments on circle drive are very affordable (or were three or four years ago).

if you are staying only for a few nights, have him get you a room at the beq or whatever it is called.

good luck. aaron out.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
The OP was posted back in March, so the Marine in question has probably already graduated and is in S-1 or wherever.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The OP was posted back in March, so the Marine in question has probably already graduated and is in S-1 or wherever.
i refer to wollyhalker, who wrote (to me it seemed, by her quote) only today.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
My 17 year old daughter just graduated MCT and has arrived for MOS school at Camp Johnson.

She called frantic almost...she's homesick and anxious/nervous..... she now finds herself w/ nights and weekends off AND not knowing a soul.

Anyone have any ideas?
Tell her to go rent a car, get a map and explore. Its the best time of her life to find new and wonderful things that life can hand you. Tell her to hook up with some others and go for broke.

Former Navy SeaBee (Retired)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues