Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:42 PM

207 posts, read 226,575 times

Advertisements

I been in the army for 1.5 yrs, and back in early 2014 I had to reclass due to AIT failure *failed training*, and then to the needs of the army put me into a MOS I despise. I consider quitting daily, and must muster this false motivation to just show up to work looking 'normal' to get through my time without having a pissed off 'face at life.

Okay, that out of the way.

In 2016 (my contract ends in 2017) , I can re-enlist about 10 months away from now, and thus re-class, but I am not re-enlisting because I enjoy the military or because of any of that, but because I want to get out of my mos.

I am debating if it's worth the sacrifice of another 3-4 yrs, for a trade off about 1 yr. However, if I reclass I know I will be a lot happier.

-----
I do plan on making 20 years in the military for that pension. I am going for army nurse, when all my enlisted time is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 01:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
I been in the army for 1.5 yrs, and back in early 2014 I had to reclass due to AIT failure *failed training*, and then to the needs of the army put me into a MOS I despise. I consider quitting daily, and must muster this false motivation to just show up to work looking 'normal' to get through my time without having a pissed off 'face at life.

In 2016 (my contract ends in 2017) , I can re-enlist about 10 months away from now, and thus re-class, but I am not re-enlisting because I enjoy the military or because of any of that, but because I want to get out of my mos.

I am debating if it's worth the sacrifice of another 3-4 yrs, for a trade off about 1 yr. However, if I reclass I know I will be a lot happier.

-----
I do plan on making 20 years in the military for that pension. I am going for army nurse, when all my enlisted time is done.
Well, we both know that you can't just quit.

If I were you, I wouldn't re-enlist if you hate it that much. There's no guarantee that they'll even let you re-class and, if they do, no guarantee that you'll re-class into the field that you want. Further, there's no guarantee that you'll like the field once you're actually in it.

If I were you, I would just suck it up, do my job, and get out as soon as I can.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:28 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:

-----
This is the kind of twisted logic you sometimes see among junior enlisted, who can't see the forest for the trees.

Q: "You seem to dislike the Army. Why'd you reenlist?"

A: "I got a 4 day pass AND off the duty roster for 30 days!"

What would you plan to do if you fail the reclass training? If you don't like the Army after over a year, it's not the MOS that's bugging you.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Haven't we had this discussion several times?

How are you "going" to be a nurse? You can't be an army nurse unless you are a nurse. How to you propose to stay as an EM and become a nurse at the same time?

What MOS do you want to reclass to? How do you know you can pass that school?

It is getting harder and harder to stay in for 20. A lot of long serving enlisted men and officers are being told "thanks for playing" at the 10-18 year mark. If you are a mediocre soldier or, for some other reason can't make rank, don't expect the army to keep you for your convenience.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 06-14-2015 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 12:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Then do not re-enlist. Get out of the military...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-14-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 01:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
I'm with Poncho, you're in it for all the wrong reasons. Get out of the military and move on with your life. I didn't always like what I was doing but it was part of the package and I dealt with it and moved on. Failing AIT, hating your new MOS are not normally signs of a long and prosperous military career.

Your post doesn't make sense..."I am debating if it's worth the sacrifice of another 3-4 yrs, for a trade off about 1 yr. However, if I reclass I know I will be a lot happier. I do plan on making 20 years in the military for that pension. I am going for army nurse, when all my enlisted time is done."

If you're going to to stay to 20 you're going to have to sacrifice a lot more than just 3-4 years. It is the military and requires sacrifice. Go to college and party if you don't want the sacrifice.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
My understanding is that for AIT, you're recycled after 1 failure and if you fail AIT the second time then you are reclassed.

It puzzles me as to how students fail the same AIT twice because Army tests don't change very much and they're typically open book, open note. Had a Soldier who failed 35F (intel analyst) twice and got reclassed to 92Y (supply). He absolutely hated it, he was the laziest and dumbest Soldier I've ever had. I had to tell him that you can't be lazy and stupid in life but if you're just one, you can get by.

You've been in the Army for 1.5 years, you've hated it, probably haven't deployed and say you're going to do 20. You haven't seen much of the Army in your 1.5 years and it sounds like a lot of that was spent in TRADOC. You should probably get a bigger sample of Army life and then make your decision rather than have it made already.

If you hate garrison life, you're probably going to really hate life as a junior Enlisted Soldier pulling ECP & tower guard and other things that your recruiter never told you about.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:38 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Get out.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 AM

207 posts, read 226,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
My understanding is that for AIT, you're recycled after 1 failure and if you fail AIT the second time then you are reclassed.

It puzzles me as to how students fail the same AIT twice because Army tests don't change very much and they're typically open book, open note. Had a Soldier who failed 35F (intel analyst) twice and got reclassed to 92Y (supply). He absolutely hated it, he was the laziest and dumbest Soldier I've ever had. I had to tell him that you can't be lazy and stupid in life but if you're just one, you can get by.

You've been in the Army for 1.5 years, you've hated it, probably haven't deployed and say you're going to do 20. You haven't seen much of the Army in your 1.5 years and it sounds like a lot of that was spent in TRADOC. You should probably get a bigger sample of Army life and then make your decision rather than have it made already.

If you hate garrison life, you're probably going to really hate life as a junior Enlisted Soldier pulling ECP & tower guard and other things that your recruiter never told you about.
Irrelevant at this point.... 1 fail at ait... 16 weeks in (20 total to grad... just ftx left), fought the battion to recycle me (waited 1 month) deny recycle..... force into an mos for 20 week ait.

I can pull guard details, actually my unit likes me but at this prefer details to keep myself away from work.

Hatred does not translate to quality, just misery and lack of motivation. False motivation is hard too.

35f to supply must had been equal hell....

I didnt join because a recruiter the army great.... did it for my 1st mos....

---'
Im out of the army after this... theres no hope except serving my time.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:30 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Separating From The Military After 10 Year Mark?

You state in this post you have 8 years or your on your way to doing 8 years then getting out to come back in as an officer. Understand perspectives change but adding those details would help some in here provide better career advice if you provided more background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues