Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

It's a very honest question. It's been on my mind a lot lately.

I remember looking into joining the army years ago but my dad talked me out of it. He fought in Vietnam and said he didn't want to see me go off to fight in a war.

Well now he died two years ago and that nagging feeling of joining the Army (or rather, any branch of the Military) has been getting stronger. But I don't know if I want to join this late in my life, nor do I know if I would qualify for any branch.

I'm too old to join the Marines but I'm still young enough for the Army, National Guard, Navy, and Air Force. I have a high school diploma but I did not finish my college degree. I have one tattoo but it's small and isn't anywhere visible. I have fallen behind on financial payments in the past (I was young and stupid, but I know better now), but have fixed most of it. I'm not married nor do I have any kids. I probably could be in better shape but I do have a personal trainer now and I work out almost every day if I can help it.

I just sometimes feel like not joining the Army straight out of highschool was a huge mistake. And ever since my dad died I've been getting this feeling that my life has no meaning and I'm completely useless. I feel like I have something to prove, or that I have more to do before I've truly earned my place.

I thought I had made up my mind years ago that I wasn't going to join, but I guess not. I almost feel like there's something wrong with me for not joining. That I have to do so as some for of penance for I have no idea what.

It's almost as if now that my dad is gone I absolutely have to join. Am I a terrible person if I don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 01:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,779,042 times
Of course not.

You shouldn't join the military (or make any other major lifestyle choice) unless it is something that is personally very meaningful for you to do. Feeling like you are supposed to prove something, or that you're a bad person for not doing something isn't a good reason in and of itself to make a choice like this. Guilt or penance isn't the soundest reason for embarking upon this particular career and lifestyle.

You might consider exploring if depression is playing a role in your feelings, given that what you describe ("...ever since my dad died I've been getting this feeling that my life has no meaning and I'm completely useless") is often an indicator of depression. Grief reactions are normal, but gradually lessen in intensity, but these feelings two years after a loss indicate potential depression.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,937,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaska View Post
But I don't know if I want to join this late in my life, nor do I know if I would qualify for any branch.
Go talk to as many recruiters as you can, face to face...

Here is some info:

Recruiters, Recruiting

Active Duty:

RESERVES: - added 13 Apr 2013

National Guard:

Old 02-27-2016, 03:10 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,267,778 times
You may be a terrible person (only you know that) but it isn't because you didn't join the military. Many more don't join then actually do join.

Go talk to some recruiters and find out what your options are. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 PM

4,500 posts, read 3,958,764 times
I became of draft age at the height of the Vietnam war and then it was all about praying you didn't get drafted. As I've grown and matured, I think I would have really enjoyed being in the Navy like my Dad was. Too old now though. Maybe you could join a group that supports vets as a way to honor your Father.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:51 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,987,876 times
Live your life. If you can do at least a four year hitch go for it at least you won't have the regret question anymore. Even if at this point they say no you at least tried.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:17 PM

50 posts, read 70,044 times
No, you are smart, because you don't sign up to get yourself blown to bits for the benefit of the corporations running this decaying, bankrupt empire called the United States.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,267,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin99 View Post
No, you are smart, because you don't sign up to get yourself blown to bits for the benefit of the corporations running this decaying, bankrupt empire called the United States.
Thank goodness we have not had to rely on people like you over the last 240 years.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,217 times
Thanks for the responses. I feel a little better about it, for now at least.

Hopefully I'll be able to come to a decision that puts my mind at ease.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 PM

30 posts, read 50,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin99 View Post
I'm a Veteran who did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and I agree with your statement 100%. The only people who benefited from those two wars were the ultra wealthy oligarchs, the richest 1/10 of 1% as Bernie Sanders alludes to. All the U.S. managed to accomplish was to destabilize the Middle East further leading to more blowback, insurrection and terrorist activity. Americans should've listened to Ron Paul when he was campaigning last Presidential cycle. He broke it all down for everyone and he would know since he was a veteran himself and had been in congress for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfEBupAeo4

To the OP, I would not suggest blindly going and talking to recruiters. They have quotas to meet and they will lie to you and promise you things that you won't get and are untrue, especially the Army cause they have the most slots to fill. The two best branches to join are the Air Force and the Coast Guard. These two branches treat their people better and have better amenities than the rest. They also have the most strict entry requirements, so it weeds out the riffraff. When you're in a situation where your life is on the line, the last thing you want is for the guy/gal standing next to you, who supposedly has your back, to be a former criminal or an inept idiot.

If you are honestly 100% set on joining the military then I suggest trying to get into a field that is technological or medical related. There are several reasons for this. They both transfer to the civilian world so when you get out of the military you can get a job. The guys who were in GI Joe shoot em up roles, those skills don't transfer to the civilian world. There aren't any jobs in America where you go around shooting people all day and throwing grenades, however there are a plethora of jobs at hospitals and based on computers/tech/IT etc. The other thing is there's a far less chance you'll be in a role where you're killing people with your gun/hands or getting shot at. Every branch of the military has jobs that deal with technology/computers and medical so don't let them tell you otherwise.

One last subject I'll touch on is look at how this country treats its veterans. A significant portion of the homeless in America are vets. If that's not bad enough look into how the VA treats vets. There have been numerous scandals and cases of abuse, maltreatment emanating from that organization. FWIW, I actually enjoyed my time in the military and learned a lot about life but I just want you to be aware of the negative aspects, cause nobody else will tell you, certainly not a recruiter. BOL in whatever you decide to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoW...tfEr7dov8sLNZg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues