Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

not really a commissary...

but the gift stores at the VA hospitals are also tax free. They have catalogs for things that aren't carried in the store. Like TV/game stations/tires <--- pretty popular/etc.

Just offering suggestion since there's a bit more VAs than commissaries around

online at Veterans Canteen Service - PatriotStoreDirect, but well.. never used it online. The actual store seems a bit more helpful/easier to navigate to me

edit: just from browsing, Dell has a 43% off deal for them. Not too bad, just comparing prices, it's slightly cheaper than the deal they are running for the public. But someone still needs to be in the market for a computer... no reason to spend money just because it is on sale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,778 times
I would suspect that commissaries are second only to medical facilities as reasons retirees choose to live near a military base.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I would suspect that commissaries are second only to medical facilities as reasons retirees choose to live near a military base.
I don't think so...

I am retired military, the commissaries were not a factor in our choice where to live.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Commissaries have become consistently less and less of a great deal.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 AM

361 posts, read 385,895 times
When I was on active duty (many years ago) I was always afraid of going down an aisle in the wrong direction at the commissary on the sub base in Connecticut. Serious, they were one-way with arrows on the floor.

It was definitely woe betide the sailor who went the wrong way!

That fear of public humiliation always clouded my shopping experience

As an aside, I have a vague memory of horse meat being available ................ is that a faulty memory?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:34 PM

367 posts, read 765,855 times
Family, education and employment were the priorities when I retired. The nearest commissary is an hour and a half away. I go up that way every few years and buy a few hundred bucks of things we consume each month. The anticiapted 15-20% savings pays for gas.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:29 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I'd agree - for retirees who make a point to live near an installation, medical and commissary likely factor highly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
That fear of public humiliation always clouded my shopping experience

As an aside, I have a vague memory of horse meat being available ................ is that a faulty memory?
I work on and live near an installation. Was just talking to my friend about the commissary - for whatever reason, I feel self conscious and uncomfortable there. It's not like that at all for me at other grocery stores.

Horse meat - that'd be unlikely in Connecticut from years ago.

Commissary tends to have excellent prices for meat and dairy - little else, in my experience. Surprised no one mentioned the baggers yet.

PX I find to be overpriced on most items. Rarely go in there.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:32 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
When I was living in Arizona I rarely used the commissary. No tax on food in AZ, and the place we went off-base had triple coupons up to $1.00 or face value, whichever was higher; my wife is a couponer. So the higher prices charged by the local, regional and national supermarkets were generally equal to the savings at the commissary, without (1) that commissary surcharge, (2) the baggers' tips, and (3) the annoyance of standing in line for 45 minutes to check out at the Davis-Monthan and Luke AFB commissaries because 50 retirees are ahead. (1) and (2) can add $10-15 to a commissary bill. (3) happened once at each base.

Now that I am retired, I use the Fort Sill commissary about 5-6 times a year, great meat, produce and frozen bulk prices. And dog food, but don't have one anymore.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:18 PM

185 posts, read 405,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Commissaries have become consistently less and less of a great deal.
It really depends on where you live. If your base is near a large metro area, where there are big box stores and lots of competition between grocers, that might be true. However, many bases, including mine, are in small towns where off-base food prices are high, and may be taxed. I save WELL over 25% by shopping at the commissary, plus it is a great place for socializing, as more and more base facilities are being consolidated and/or closed due to budgetary or other issues.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:20 AM

162 posts, read 213,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
It really depends on where you live. If your base is near a large metro area, where there are big box stores and lots of competition between grocers, that might be true. However, many bases, including mine, are in small towns where off-base food prices are high, and may be taxed. I save WELL over 25% by shopping at the commissary, plus it is a great place for socializing, as more and more base facilities are being consolidated and/or closed due to budgetary or other issues.

This is a great point Okie. We last lived on Camp Pendleton so that one was HUGE! There were always great deals to be had. When we moved to Minnesota it was sticker shock so to speak to start shopping at normal grocery outlits AND there is not tax on food in MN. Sighhhhh,,,,still missing those great deals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues