Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Surprised that the Air Force was allowing guys to leave with honorable discharges during the peak of the Viet Nam war when 3 branches of the service ( Army, Navy, Marines) were resorting to drafting)

Also, many guys joined the Air Force during that time period to avoid the draft.
They knew going in that enlisting in the Air Force was 4 years instead of the 2 year draft for the Navy, Marines, and Army.
There was a one year waiting period to get into the Air Force during 1968. The Air Force could pick or choose as they wished. I met a few young Air Force recruits who were not able cope with military life and were discharged... I don't know what their discharged said.

Quote:
No sympathy here.
No one here is asking for sympathy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:49 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There was a one year waiting period to get into the Air Force during 1968. The Air Force could pick or choose as they wished. I met a few young Air Force recruits who were not able cope with military life and were discharged... I don't know what their discharged said.

No one here is asking for sympathy...

The OP asks.........." How can I free myself from my inner feelings of guilt "

Sorry, Poncho......sounds like the OP is either seeking sympathy or justification.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:47 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Surprised that the Air Force was allowing guys to leave with honorable discharges during the peak of the Viet Nam war when 3 branches of the service ( Army, Navy, Marines) were resorting to drafting)

Also, many guys joined the Air Force during that time period to avoid the draft.
They knew going in that enlisting in the Air Force was 4 years instead of the 2 year draft for the Navy, Marines, and Army.

No sympathy here.
The first draft lottery was conducted in 1969. This was the FIRST draft since WW2. This guy got out in 1965. He got an honorable discharge. So... he really doesn't need any sympathy from anybody for getting an honorable discharge.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:05 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano232 View Post
I had enlisted in the Air Force back in 10/64...I spent almost a yr in active duty, went thru boot camp and tech school. I was assigned my PCS and continued with my service. I love my country and respect the military but at this time in my life I pondered my inner feelings about being a soldier. I was not satisfied with my life and seeked out a change. I kindly requested an Honorable Discharge and was granted this under the military code of AFR 39-16..I never caused any bad feelings while I was in service nor did I present any problems. I am considered a VET of Vietnam although I never got over there but have served during this war period. I now, at times, have guilt feelings of leaving the Air Force early but have been told by my many friends who have served their country NOT to be concerned with it because I made a choice in which I felt was to the better in my life. I have held many important jobs and have had a successful career for many yrs. My wife tells me NOT to feel the way I do because I didn't do anything wrong at that time and that possibly others have done same. I respect my country and those that have served, fought, and died for our freedoms... I'm retired now and it has been over 50 yrs that this issue has been dated. How can I free myself from my inner feelings of guilt at which I'm facing at times?? Thanx for reading... GOD BLESS and GOD BLESS America.. Piano
That life was not the best fit for you. You were not drummed out. You asked for and received an honorable discharge. Not everyone that loves their country served. End of story.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
The first draft lottery was conducted in 1969. This was the FIRST draft since WW2. This guy got out in 1965. He got an honorable discharge. So... he really doesn't need any sympathy from anybody for getting an honorable discharge.
"This was the FIRST draft since WW2"

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I am surprised no other poster called you out on your facts ( especially since this forum takes facts quite seriously )

There was a draft in 1917 and 1918 .
The draft started up again in 1940 and was used thru 1946.
There was no draft in 1947.
There was a draft every year from 1948-1973.

The lottery draft seems to be what many young posters remember but the number of people drafted via lottery was a very small percent of the Vietnam era draft.

1,633,642 were drafted during of the years of 1964-1969

only 306,998 were drafted via the lottery from 1970-1973

( the lottery drawing was held in late 1969 to determine the order for those inducted in 1970 )

Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
One of my co-workers has severe guilt about his service during Vietnam. He served 6 years total. Once the draft started, he went and joined the Navy. He went in undesignated. He completed a form with his experience and went to boot camp. He was a competitive swimmer in High School, and after boot camp he was asked to complete a swimming test. He aced the test and was advised that he was going to be a rescue swimmer. Instead of shipping off to Vietnam, he was assigned to a helicopter squadron based at NAS Pensacola. He spent 4 years flying around Pensacola. Once it came time to get out, he was involuntarily extended 2 years. He was assigned to another helicopter squadron that just returned from Vietnam, based at NAS Jacksonville, and he never left the U.S.

His 2 best friends from High School were drafted into the Corps., both were KIA. He was so ashamed of how easy he had it that he spent most of his adult life without telling anyone he served.

There isn't any shame it what happened to you. The Air Force approved your request. You weren't kicked out. Just because you didn't serve in theater doesn't mean you are less of a person. My coworker served his entire tour and was still ashamed of it. You went where the Air Force needed you.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
I can relate to what this person is saying. I also enlisted in the Air Force in 1958 and was released in 1960 with an Honorable discharge through a 39-16. Mine was for a different reason though. I had been brought up as an Foster child due to my Biological mother spending all my childhood years in a State hospital in Massachusetts. While I was in the Service I found out she was being released and had, I was told, no one to take care of her. That's when I asked to be released so I could help her out. This was a big mistake. When I got home, I found she didn't need me at all. To my surprise and shock I found out I had two uncles and an Aunt that lived on the South Shore of Boston, who for 18 years had never bothered to contact me or taken any interest in my welfare. To this day, I regret leaving the Air Force. I felt that I left my country down when I should have been there serving my full enlistment and possibly more. I think about it a lot and wish I could turn back the clock but of course I can't!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAllen View Post
I can relate to what this person is saying. I also enlisted in the Air Force in 1958 and was released in 1960 with an Honorable discharge through a 39-16. Mine was for a different reason though. I had been brought up as an Foster child due to my Biological mother spending all my childhood years in a State hospital in Massachusetts. While I was in the Service I found out she was being released and had, I was told, no one to take care of her. That's when I asked to be released so I could help her out. This was a big mistake. When I got home, I found she didn't need me at all. To my surprise and shock I found out I had two uncles and an Aunt that lived on the South Shore of Boston, who for 18 years had never bothered to contact me or taken any interest in my welfare. To this day, I regret leaving the Air Force. I felt that I left my country down when I should have been there serving my full enlistment and possibly more. I think about it a lot and wish I could turn back the clock but of course I can't!
You appear to have been Honorably released for an appropriate reason. You can't turn back the clock. You did nothing wrong. You made the best decision you could at the time. Continue on with your life. And thanks ofr your efforts.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
If these posters are still working through guilt (and they shouldn’t have guilt, IMO) they should volunteer at a VA Hospital.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Since the OP made one post two and a half years ago, and hasn't been back on since, it seems appropriate to keep bumping this up with a response.... If you truly regret it, and haven't been able to move on, maybe you just haven't thought about it long enough. Fifty-five years is a long time to SOME, but maybe you just need 60 years of energy spent on something you will never change. Just in case, it sounds like its one of two things; you tried (harder than most), put in a good effort, and it wasn't a good fit, or you bitched out. Only you know if it was an honest dilemma or an excuse. Things happen, move on with your life. If it just keeps eating at you, every VA hospital I have been to has volunteers, maybe you could try that. If its eating away at you that you think you didn't help enough then, maybe you can help now. Good luck with whatever goes somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues