Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,224 times

Advertisements

Hi, wondering if anyone on here can help me with a problem i have been trying to solve for the last year or so. I am a US citizen and have been all my life, i do hold duel citizenship though with the United Kingdom and back when i was 18 my family lived in London, England where i joined the British Army and served 7 years. I now live back in the United States and and although everyone i meet is appreciative of my service especially after they learn i served alongside American troops in Kosovo and Iraq (actually crossing the Kuwait-Iraq border during the first breech in 2003 with the USMC) i don't have my vet status recognized here. I know there has to be a line drawn but i wondered if anyone knew of any similar circumstances or anyone i could talk to, i am not after money but some help with employment as the jobs in which i am qualified now give preference to veterans. I did see this-

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...-personnel-vet

and have tried contacting them but nobody gets back to me. Any help would be much appreciated, i sometimes wish i would have served in the US military because of the help it would give me now but i am still very proud to have served in the UK Army. The United States and the UK are strong allies for a reason and im very proud to bridge that gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dant86 View Post
Hi, wondering if anyone on here can help me with a problem i have been trying to solve for the last year or so. I am a US citizen and have been all my life, i do hold duel citizenship though with the United Kingdom and back when i was 18 my family lived in London, England where i joined the British Army and served 7 years. I now live back in the United States and and although everyone i meet is appreciative of my service especially after they learn i served alongside American troops in Kosovo and Iraq (actually crossing the Kuwait-Iraq border during the first breech in 2003 with the USMC) i don't have my vet status recognized here. I know there has to be a line drawn but i wondered if anyone knew of any similar circumstances or anyone i could talk to, i am not after money but some help with employment as the jobs in which i am qualified now give preference to veterans. I did see this-

Joint Fact Sheet: U.S.-UK Task Force to Support Our Armed Forces Personnel, Veterans and Their Families | The White House

and have tried contacting them but nobody gets back to me. Any help would be much appreciated, i sometimes wish i would have served in the US military because of the help it would give me now but i am still very proud to have served in the UK Army. The United States and the UK are strong allies for a reason and im very proud to bridge that gap.
Have you contacted the Veterans Administration?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Have you contacted the Veterans Administration?
I'd also contact the British Embassy and ask to speak to someone on the military attachés staff. They have a fair amount of experience with dealing with former Commonwealth soldiers and whilst i know your situation is different maybe a few e.mails and letters with the British Embassy mark may help move things along.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
A civilian employer (with no governement contracts requiring such preference) is free to decide any prerefence they wish to give to any veteran, foreign or domestic, based soly on their internal decissions.

Many employers do not grant preferences due to almost every state law that makes it illegal to discriminate in hiring and employment based on military and veteran status. The intent of the law was to ensure that serving and former militray members would not be rejected based solely on the fact that they were/are in the military.
But,
discrimination is a two-way street which means the employer is basically to put on blinders when it comes to a person's veteran status so as not to make any decission based on them being OR NOT being a veteran. Lawyers have long argued that by granting any non-mandated preferences, the employer is discriminating based on veteran status if they give out preferences to veterans that are not given equally to non veterans. Since state laws do not apply to federal government, they can still give preferences. State and local governements are also exempt because they do receive federal monies for many things so they can give preferences if they like.

A lot of companies have and do ask if you are a veteran. How they use it is up to them so long as they are not denying a veterans a job just cause they are a veteran, and they are not hiring the person just cause they are a veteran. Its a slippery slope.

To add, the US only recognizes mebers of it's own armed forces or those who served within the US Armed Forces and thus recognized by Congress the same as a US militray member. The fact that a US citizen served in a foreign militray, even if a side by side allai, is not grounds to be treated with preferences equal to a US served veteran or highre than what is accorded her own citizens.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 08-03-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
You would not be considered a "Veteran" in the sense that we mean when talking about the US military. You did not serve in our military and you are not elligible for any of our benefits. Sorry. Try asking the UK for some benefits.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dant86 View Post
I now live back in the United States and and although everyone i meet is appreciative of my service especially after they learn i served alongside American troops in Kosovo and Iraq (actually crossing the Kuwait-Iraq border during the first breech in 2003 with the USMC) i don't have my vet status recognized here. I know there has to be a line drawn
Thanks for your service to...uh, another country (albeit an ally, but we have a lot of allies). There were way more countries involved in Iraq than just the US and UK. Do we draw the line with Britain and just leave those others out? I think yes; sorry, but veterans benefits are intended for and funded for US veterans.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You would not be considered a "Veteran" in the sense that we mean when talking about the US military. You did not serve in our military and you are not elligible for any of our benefits. Sorry. Try asking the UK for some benefits.
Not true, the VA has a list of Countries whose veterans have eligibility as there is a list of countries where US Veterans are entitled to care

Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Not true, the VA has a list of Countries whose veterans have eligibility as there is a list of countries where US Veterans are entitled to care
So you are telling me that when a typical American says the word "Veteran" that we don't mean veterans of US Armed Forces? We, in general, take that to also mean other countries?

I really wish you would provide a source. The VA Does not provide any benefits to anyone other than veterans of our branches. At least not that I could find in an hour of searching. Maybe there is a PRIVATE volunteer organization that does something differently, but VA benefits from our government are only afforded to those that served our government.

Benefits - Veterans Benefits Administration Home

These services are not available without a US DD214 or other proof of service.

Again, please provide such a list, if it exists, and what programs are available. I'd be very curious to see it.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Read the VA Benefits Handbook, all soldiers who fought on the Allied side in World War II are eligible and there are reciprocity agreements with some countries that provide for those countries veterans to be treated here as well as ours to be treated there. The only way to find out if he is covered is to check with the VA. I am sure there is a reciprocity agreement with Britain, which would provide for that country to pay for treatment he recieves here just as they provide for our veterans to be treated there. The source you provided is fine, read it

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,497 times
I'll second that...check with the British Embassy and the VA here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues