Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:00 PM

10 posts, read 16,722 times

Advertisements

Anyone have info on how competitive it is to get on Agr or title 10 orders for air guard. Husband switching over from army and we are moving from Arkansas to FL. He’s wanting intelligence spot as an officer. Just any help would work. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 05:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
AGR is Title 32. Title 10 is active duty.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:32 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,679 times
https://fl.ng.mil/careers/Pages/AGR-Listings.aspx

Good place to start

Old 10-22-2018, 03:09 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbugeja View Post
Anyone have info on how competitive it is to get on Agr or title 10 orders for air guard. Husband switching over from army and we are moving from Arkansas to FL. He’s wanting intelligence spot as an officer. Just any help would work. Thanks in advance.
The best thing and more likely avenue is to move there and find a unit to join. Transferring around is easier once you are in. Any reason to only look at title 32? What is his MOS? If he is in Logistics he can also go technician. It is a dual status situation where he is M-day or a drilling soldier and a federal employee as well. Both lead to pensions and in combination can result in a very nice retirement. I know I am one. PM me if you wish more.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 16,722 times
He has to wait till his army term is up in Sept. he’s then transferring to air Guard, looking at intelligence - geospaical if I am correct. We just need to find orders in Florida. Preferably Jacksonville.
Also, is there a set way of applying for full time orders and getting the spot without having connections. He will have over 13 years experience in military by the time we transfer down there.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
He has to wait till his army term is up in Sept. he’s then transferring to air Guard, looking at intelligence - geospaical if I am correct. We just need to find orders in Florida. Preferably Jacksonville.
Also, is there a set way of applying for full time orders and getting the spot without having connections. He will have over 13 years experience in military by the time we transfer down there.

I'm retired Air National Guard and unless he has has some very specialized skills that no one else has, it's very unlikely that he'll walk straight into an AGR position. Virtually everyone that ever got a technician or AGR position at our base started out as a traditional weekender. For a full time position, there is always going to be that bias that favors those who have been in the section for awhile over those who are new. And that's to be expected. They're a known quantity, and there will always be those weekenders who want to advance to a full time position. It's like anywhere else. You have to pay your dues.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Actually he can begin the hard work of finding a position. He should call recruiters in the state so that he can find jobs in his MOS. He will have to remain in his current or former MOS if he has changed it at least once. The jobs in the technician forces are logistics (supply, maintenance) or IT (computer and network).

To tell you the truth I think the technician force is the better choice over title 32 but hell I am biased. I retired as a technician after a 29 year career in the national guard with 8 years of prior active duty service. I retired with a military pension based upon 6100 points out of a 7k+ point active duty retirement with a total of 37+ years of service and a FERS pension based upon my GS9 pay after 29 years of actual FERS time and 8 years of bought back military time giving me 36+ years of time. Combined I have a 5k monthly paycheck so what paygrade would you need to get to and collect that from an active duty retirement pay?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:38 PM

10 posts, read 11,385 times
The Guard is who you know, not what you know. Best to start out as a traditional, it's very competitive for T32 AGR even for those who have been in the system for a while.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times
I'm just wondering, if all these Guard people want T32 orders so they can go full time, why don't they just join Active Duty?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 AM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm just wondering, if all these Guard people want T32 orders so they can go full time, why don't they just join Active Duty?

Three letters: PCS. Active duty, we PCS'd every two-three years. Plus remotes to Korea, professional military education in residence, even RIFs. As an AGR the Guardsman stays in one place, potentially for 20 years. In my current GS job, I meet twice a year with ANG AGRs who operate weapons ranges for the Guard; they have been in the AFSC and job for years, and their kids have been able to go to the same school with the same friends. Spouses have the chance to stay in the same job (career), something my wife was never able to do until I retired.

Like everything else, there is the proverbial double-edged sword. If you don't like the job, base, fellow personnel, NCOIC or commander, in the active duty you will have to deal with them only for a couple of years. In the Guard, you're stuck and that E-6 or O-4 you think is a moron may be your NCOIC or wing commander in ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues