Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,806 times

Advertisements

A little background.... I just recently joined the Navy and (partially) went through MEPS. I was medically cleared, but was not able to sign a contract because of a pending bankruptcy. Once it is finalized and all is taken care of, I will be able to join (it had something to do with having an outstanding civil court date).

Anyways, I have not taken oath, and with all the paperwork I’ve been doing to finalize my bankruptcy, I managed to remember something from my past that I did not disclose to my recruiter. A few years ago I was charged with a UPM (long story short: I was in a friends car with three buddies, one of which had weed on him. when we got pulled over he ditched it in the car and did not ‘fes up to it being his, so we all got the charge.) After I went to court the judges dropped my charge. it was nothing special which is why I completely forgot about it)

I have to go back to MEPS to complete the background check and pick my rate, and swear in, but I don’t want my background to get flagged. Is it too late to disclose this information to my recruiter or am I screwed? Any advice would be great, as I am very excited to join and don’t want to jeopardize my chances of getting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I'm thing you're screwed. But dmarie123 should be weighing in soon.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Sorry but I doubt you 'forgot' about the incident. It happened two years ago and being charged with a crime and having to go to court is a nerve wracking experience. You should have been upfront about this from the beginning.

Most certainly you should be upfront about this now, but don't be surprised if you would be given conflicting advice if you do. I'm not saying all recruiters are bad, but there might be some that would tell you to keep it on the downlow since charges were dropped, without carefully analyzing the circumstances of the court's decision. You're pretty far into this enlistment process, that's why.

Remember, even if this doesn't come through on any background checks, once you take that oath, if something happens in the future and you get in trouble for not being open about the charges, it's all on you. Up to you whether you think that's a risk worth taking.

How Criminal History Affects U.S. Military Enlistment

Quote:
Even if an offense is not found during the recruiter criminal background check, it is likely to come up during a possible (probable) security clearance criminal records check. If an applicant fails to disclose criminal history and it is later discovered, the individual may be charged under federal law, or the Uniform Code of Military Justice for False Statement, and/or Fraudulent Enlistment.

Any offense which resulted in a conviction or "adverse adjudication" counts. Usually, if the charges were dismissed (without conditions), or resulted in an acquittal (finding of "not guilty"), they don't. However, sometimes the military will "count" an offense which resulted in a dismissal. For example, if you were caught shoplifting, and the charges were dismissed because the store owner didn't want to press charges, the military might count it.

On the other hand, if the charges were dismissed because the DA determined there wasn't enough evidence to prove you committed the crime, the military probably wouldn't count it. When determining whether or not an offense "counts" for enlistment purposes, the services are primarily interested in whether or not the applicant actually committed the offense, not whether or not a "legal" conviction resulted.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm thing you're screwed. But dmarie123 should be weighing in soon.
Thanks!

I'm not a Navy expert. For the Air Force, you'd be disqualified despite the charges being dropped, and you would need the police AND court records (contact both, request records from both).

If charges were dropped with NO NO NO conditions, you might be good to go. That is to say, no fine, no classes, no "if you don't get in trouble for 60 days we'll drop it," or other conditions. They have to be unequivocally dropped, with NO CONDITIONS.

Any other scenario, and you would need a waiver (if Air Force). Most recruiters would be willing to do this waiver (in the Air Force), but I can't speak exactly to the Navy.

You NEED to disclose this or risk it being found out in an investigation later, and causing more problems. Talk to your recruiter. He/she will know how to advise.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM

No, I truly did forget. In New York, a UPM in not a crime, it is a violation. Similar to that of a traffic ticket. Not only that, but it was the judge that dismissed the charges. My public defender talked to him for a minute and that was that. Never paid a fine or anything, so no charges were given to me.

Technicially I have not lied on any official documents, I even went back over the NASIS background check and given the literal wording of the questionnaire, I have no failed to disclose or falsify any information.

As I have yet to have the background interview at MEPS I still the have to opportunity to disclose the information.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
If you're disqualified by disclosing it then don't. As you said you submitted paperwork in good faith. It didn't even occur to you. The wheels are already turning.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If you're disqualified by disclosing it then don't. As you said you submitted paperwork in good faith. It didn't even occur to you. The wheels are already turning.
What happens if/when he needs a higher clearance and this is discovered at that point? I'm sorry - I think your advice is bad.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
What happens if/when he needs a higher clearance and this is discovered at that point? I'm sorry - I think your advice is bad.
I really have no problem disclosing the information. And honestly, since I’ve only gone through medical, I don’t think I was ever given the opportunity to disclose the information. Maybe I will just discuss it with my recruiter and see what he says. I have intentions of going into the EOD program so I know at some point I will need higher clearance.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
I don't think that truthfulness, enthusiasm and readiness to serve are ever underrated. Your recruiter should see these qualities in you and hopefully, support you. Do us a favor, let us know how this shakes out. Best wishes.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlybuns View Post
Anyways, I have not taken oath, and with all the paperwork I’ve been doing to finalize my bankruptcy, I managed to remember something from my past that I did not disclose to my recruiter.
I suggest you read this article completely:

Navy Criminal Disqualifications for Enlistment Requirements: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/na...ements-3354815
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues