Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 09:05 AM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Anything.../dp/1250045061

Would like to know what is the opinion of readers here on this book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 11:43 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
He is a pathetic POS.
his book is full of half truths and lies

Old 06-11-2021, 11:49 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
here is just one example of his despicable disregard for good soldiers;

https://www.prlog.org/12529094-agree...-massacre.html

Old 10-23-2021, 06:39 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Anything.../dp/1250045061

Would like to know what is the opinion of readers here on this book

When you find a book like this, immediately look into the background of the author. And you'll just about always find the common threads of ideological motivation. Nick Turse, the author of this book, is no different. There is some truth to what he says - as there always is - but it's how the truth is interpreted... and extrapolated into some grand theme.... that matters.

I haven't read this book - but I sure will. To see if my suspicions about what it omits are valid. I'm guessing is what it omits are two main things: 1. The good things that American soldiers did in Vietnam to help the people; and 2: The atrocities committed by the North Vietnamese. But I have heard of this book before, and it prompted me to research the author to find out who he is. And sure enough... Turse seems to be a typical Ivy League educated Left Wing "journalist" toeing the party line for the Left. He's done a lot of work on war crimes around the world.

For this book, he starts out with the Pentagon's own war crimes report on the Mi Lai Massacre... and goes from there. I wonder if he ever looked at the war crimes reports of the North Vietnamese ABOUT the North Vietnamese.... if they even exist. I bet not. It is merely another political polemic from a radical.

In January 2016 Turse agreed to remove defamatory statements in the book that the 48th Assault Helicopter Company knowingly killed civilians in 1972. This is where I first heard this guy's name in a story about the book.

Writing in 2000, Turse justified the Columbine Massacre in 1999 as being the act of "radical revolutionaries" striking out at the US war machine..... and it didn't matter that the perps probably didn't look at their atrocity this way. It still fit Turse's narrative..... because that's what he WANTS the grand storyline to be. One historian said that Turse's assertion "only makes sense in an academic culture in which transgression is by definition political and in which any rage against society can be considered radical."

And you can bet your bottom dollar, this is what Turse thinks of ALL criminals and bad actors within America's borders. They're revolutionaries struggling against "the system" - even if they don't know it.

That's how these people use facts. As a weapon. And they use facts to construct pseudo-history.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 10-23-2021 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues