Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 06:31 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times

Advertisements

Background:

When my niece was very young we started a prepaid college account-tuition and dorm-in her state (FL). She is now 11. We did this because her parents are terrible with money and keeping jobs and we knew there was no way they could save for anything much less college.

Her dad, my BIL, injured his knee during a training exercise while in the Army in the 80s. He has been receiving disability benefits since then. A few weeks ago he had another knee surgery and the VA rated him at 100% permanent.

I have been researching and it appears she is eligible for college benefits that will duplicate the prepaid benefits. This prompts me to research if I need to change or cancel the prepaid program.

We mentioned this to BIL and while it is understandable he doesn’t have all the benefit changes digested he was dismissive saying “it is already taken care of (with the prepaid we bought) this means BIL will be of little help here as he won’t be motivated to act when college is already paid for (by us). We will have to push him when the time comes which is no surprise so we need to have the facts in order.

Which brings me to this post. Do I have the general facts correct? Trying to gather intel on whether I should change the current prepaid plan.

If there is true duplication the prepaid plan is refundable and/or we could use that money for non covered expenses so there won’t be lost money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 06:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 747,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Background:

When my niece was very young we started a prepaid college account-tuition and dorm-in her state (FL). She is now 11. We did this because her parents are terrible with money and keeping jobs and we knew there was no way they could save for anything much less college.

Her dad, my BIL, injured his knee during a training exercise while in the Army in the 80s. He has been receiving disability benefits since then. A few weeks ago he had another knee surgery and the VA rated him at 100% permanent.

I have been researching and it appears she is eligible for college benefits that will duplicate the prepaid benefits. This prompts me to research if I need to change or cancel the prepaid program.

We mentioned this to BIL and while it is understandable he doesn’t have all the benefit changes digested he was dismissive saying “it is already taken care of (with the prepaid we bought) this means BIL will be of little help here as he won’t be motivated to act when college is already paid for (by us). We will have to push him when the time comes which is no surprise so we need to have the facts in order.

Which brings me to this post. Do I have the general facts correct? Trying to gather intel on whether I should change the current prepaid plan.

If there is true duplication the prepaid plan is refundable and/or we could use that money for non covered expenses so there won’t be lost money.
Chapter 35 -The Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program was established by the War Orphans’ Educational Assistance Act of 1956. This educational program provides benefits to the spouse and children, including step-children and adopted children, of veterans who died in the defense of the United States or who were completely and permanently disabled due to injuries sustained while on active duty.

Eligibility Requirements:

Individuals eligible to receive education benefits under the Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) you must be the spouse, daughter, or son (including step-children and adopted children) of a veteran or service member who:

-Died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the armed forces

-Died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence

-Missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force

-Was forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power

-Is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability

I strongly recommend that you contact the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551 and ask them to be certain of your niece's eligibility. Given the rising price of a college education by the time your niece begins college she may need both the funds in the prepaid college tuition fund as well as any educational benefits that the VA may be able to provide to her.

This is a link to the VA https://www.va.gov/opa/persona/dependent_survivor.asp

Old 03-31-2022, 02:00 PM

Thanks irish.

I noticed you underlined the first requirement. Is there something about my post that makes you question eligibility?

Old 04-01-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks irish.

I noticed you underlined the first requirement. Is there something about my post that makes you question eligibility?

I underlined it because based on what you stated that is the basis of your niece's eligibility. However, only the Veterans Administration can verify and certify her eligibility. Your BIL should contact the VA and discuss it with them. You can call them but they're ultimately going to need to talk to your BIL. He's going to have to apply to the VA when she's ready to begin college in order to use his educational benefits.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:51 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times
Does your niece live n FL? If so have you researched Bright Futures? Depending on grades and a couple of other requirements like volunteer work, you can get full tuition if she goes to a FL school.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:51 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Don't confuse VA and Military benefits. They are different.

If the father was injured in active duty, he may have a Medical Retirement from the Military with an assigned disability. Doubtful that it would be 100% for a knee, but over time it could have been revisited and perhaps he is getting close. Regardless of what the VA assigns as a disability rating.

Check out both of them. I was injured while on active duty and have received significant benefits from the military, and virtually nothing from the VA (because i have never had reason to do so).

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:22 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Background:

You need active duty defined I would think after reading what you posted and what was underlined. He was doing a training exercise, was that when he first joined? Did he even serve anywhere or did that knee knock him out?

Is he really disabled from a knee? They fix those these days. I have friends who were disabled but had surgery a few years ago, they don't even use a cane any more.

Your BIL obviously doesn't care or he would look into it. He's happy not working on his disability check that's probably small as heck.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You need active duty defined I would think after reading what you posted and what was underlined. He was doing a training exercise, was that when he first joined? Did he even serve anywhere or did that knee knock him out?

Is he really disabled from a knee? They fix those these days. I have friends who were disabled but had surgery a few years ago, they don't even use a cane any more.

Your BIL obviously doesn't care or he would look into it. He's happy not working on his disability check that's probably small as heck.
Considering they've been retaining military personnel that have had amputations and use prosthetic limbs I find it hard to believe that he's 100% disabled because of a chronic knee injury.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Does your niece live n FL? If so have you researched Bright Futures? Depending on grades and a couple of other requirements like volunteer work, you can get full tuition if she goes to a FL school.
She is in FL. I actually forgot about Bright Futures so I’ll look into that when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

He was in the Army seven years. Somewhere in the middle or later he injured his knee overseas in a skydiving accident. It got progressively worse until he was given a general discharge for his behavior. He never was in combat. This came from my wife as I did not know him then. He is now late 50s.

It is difficult to separate fact from fiction when talking to him. He is always running a con of some sort. There is always a lot of drama with him which is beyond this topic but I'll summarize it by saying he is on his seventh marriage and has been arrested by the Secret Service.

He was out of the Army when I met him (30+ years) but has always had a knee problem being treated at the VA. He does work-sometimes-but gets bored with work, women, and houses so changes all three more frequently than most. He claims his new disability will be $4K/month and with that plus his wife’s income he will retire in less than a year.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:15 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times
Quote:
She is in FL. I actually forgot about Bright Futures so I’ll look into that when the time comes.

He was in the Army seven years. Somewhere in the middle or later he injured his knee overseas in a skydiving accident. It got progressively worse until he was given a general discharge for his behavior. He never was in combat. This came from my wife as I did not know him then. He is now late 50s.

It is difficult to separate fact from fiction when talking to him. He is always running a con of some sort. There is always a lot of drama with him which is beyond this topic but I'll summarize it by saying he is on his seventh marriage and has been arrested by the Secret Service.

He was out of the Army when I met him (30+ years) but has always had a knee problem being treated at the VA. He does work-sometimes-but gets bored with work, women, and houses so changes all three more frequently than most. He claims his new disability will be $4K/month and with that plus his wife’s income he will retire in less than a year.
Keep the mind that Bright futures comes with some requirements, like volunteer hours, and good grades. Luckily the volunteer hours can be met over a period of time. Have her start her freshman year. I know way too many that waited till they were Jrs and Srs, and it can be overwhelming. Also, good SAT/ACT scores are required.

As for the disability payments, at 100% with a spouse and child (assuming there is just one) he will receive $3653.

Also you may read about different education benefits, such as Post 9/11 benefits. He nor his daughter are not eligible for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues