Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 08:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,631 times

Advertisements

This is an embarrassing disaster for the Navy. It saddens me that the CO and the flag officers involved apparently abdicated their responsibilities as Naval officers and had to engage in a teleconference to determine who had ultimate command and control of the fire fighting efforts. These delays resulted a fairly small fire spreading into a catastrophic inferno that led to the loss of the ship. I spent many years in the Navy and was assigned to shipboard firefighting parties. Later in my career I was the department head of a shore based ship board damage and control and fire fighting training program. Whoever the senior officer present was should’ve taken charge and directed the Bon Homme Richard’s crew to begin fighting the fire in coordination with the base civilian firefighters. Like many flag officers these men were more concerned about looking out for their careers and covering their *****es than doing the right thing. The loss of this ship is a sad commentary on senior leadership in today’s Navy.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...of-three-star/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 12:12 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Agreed. It is like any other disaster response; the senior officer on-scene is in charge until relieved by a competent authority.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:30 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Agree. I was in the engine room of steam driven ships and our firefighting team cross trained with the flight deck firefighting team. The officer and senior enlisted should have made the right decisions on the scene. I can see a green junior officer not knowing what to do but the senior enlisted should have guided the officer towards the right decision. I sometimes wonder if hubris played a part in the poor decisions. There comes a point when you must acknowledge you need help.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Sadly the US Navy’s admirals have a bad history with investigations. Two instances that come to mind include the USS Indianapolis https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-...ianapolis.html
And the USS Iowa https://www.history.navy.mil/about-u...9/h-029-4.html

Old 07-07-2022, 01:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Sadly the US Navy’s admirals have a bad history with investigations. Two instances that come to mind include the USS Indianapolis https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-...ianapolis.html
And the USS Iowa https://www.history.navy.mil/about-u...9/h-029-4.html
I shake my head at the Iowa XO doing XO stuff of make the turret ship shape after the explosion.....and having it immediately cleaned up and wreckage tossed over the side.

As to the topic at hand, A and B. A: Normadie (USS Lafayette) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Nor..._and_capsizing

B: I remember being told of a DDG Captain, yelling down from the bridge wing during an evolution ...... "SOMEONE TAKE F***ING CHARGE!".

Old 07-09-2022, 05:27 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
It seems there is a "hole" o command when a ship is in the yard for an overhaul. That said, to me the Captain of the ship is always in charge not some Yard Bird Officer.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:17 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
It seems there is a "hole" o command when a ship is in the yard for an overhaul. That said, to me the Captain of the ship is always in charge not some Yard Bird Officer.
There is not a hole - there should not be a question - the ships captain/crew has the responsibility even in the yards. They do not sign over the ship, the CO is still responsible for the ship and crew. They are supposed to monitor and stop the work if not being done correctly or endangers ship or crew - at least that was the case when we were in the yards.

In a fire or other casualty situation, it is the ship's captain/crew that is responsible and should take charge to coordinate with assistance from the other organizations available - they do not abrogate their responsibility to the repair guys. We had a fire while in the yard - the ship's crew put it out even though it was the yard activities that started the fire.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
There is not a hole - there should not be a question - the ships captain/crew has the responsibility even in the yards. They do not sign over the ship, the CO is still responsible for the ship and crew. They are supposed to monitor and stop the work if not being done correctly or endangers ship or crew - at least that was the case when we were in the yards.

In a fire or other casualty situation, it is the ship's captain/crew that is responsible and should take charge to coordinate with assistance from the other organizations available - they do not abrogate their responsibility to the repair guys. We had a fire while in the yard - the ship's crew put it out even though it was the yard activities that started the fire.
Agreed. Even in yard work we still ran fire drills for the crew on duty every night. A well trained crew will not allow a fire to get to that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues