Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:18 AM

14 posts, read 8,634 times

Advertisements

I'm a few weeks away from accepting a position with the DoD, and have to rank my office location preferences. I still do not get to pick where I end up (based on the needs of the agency), but they try to drop people in one of their top 5 choices.

I am married, no kids (and none in the future), with pets. I would like to live near somewhere with outdoor recreation (trails, parks, places to walk the dog, etc.) with decent access to grocery stores and other shopping. I currently live in an area with a low cost of living, so affordability for the first few years will be very important. To give you an idea, my 4BR/2.5BA only cost us a tick over $200K. I'm in for a rude surprise! Ha

Combined income is about $150K annually, with annual grade and step increases expected each year. I'm 100% willing to sacrifice living space for affordability, but having an extra bedroom for visitors or office space would be great if we could swing it. I am going to spend as much time on my own researching costs and livability, but figured I'd ask those who have already lived in one or more of these areas for general advice.

Renting would be great since we'll only be in this first city for a handful of years, but having 3 pets is going to be an issue, so we may have to rent or buy a home instead of renting an apartment.

Choices:
San Diego, CA
Washington, DC
Mayport, FL
Oahu, HI
Chicago, IL
Jacksonville, NC
Newport, RI
Norfolk, VA
Silverdale, WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 10:55 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Hello. Guy from San Diego. Lots of recreational possibilities here. The ocean, mountains to the East. Usually good weather all year around. Lots of military and civilians working and assigned to bases here. We have lots of military in our condo complex. Several Marine Corps and Navy officers. A retired Naval Academy officer.

Downside an extremely high cost of living. A modest tract home in the suburbs will be in the million dollar range. We also have some of the highest utility rates in the country. A one bedroom apartment in an upscale community could run as high as 3,000 a month. A decent home rental in a middle class neighborhood might be in the 5000 a month range. And there is a homeless problem like other CA cities.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:40 AM

532 posts, read 447,067 times
I was in the Marines in the 80s through 92 then the Army up till 2013.
1st duty station was Kaneohe Hawaii and last one in Fairbanks Alaska. I'm still in AK after retirement from a Tribal healthcare job.

So in the Marines besides Hawaii I also did the typical East coast, West coast and Okinawa tours.

I loved California and Hawaii especially with the extra COLA and housing allowance I received but I think the East coast picks of Florida and North Carolina would be my choices. I think your $$ would go farther so they may fit your budget well and they have plenty of outdoor activities.

I was stationed at Cherry Point about 50 miles or so up the coast from Camp Lejuene. A much smaller base so I dont know if that would be open to you? I bought my 1st house there in Havelock NC, a 3bd 2ba was 65k in the 80s but now still under 200k per zillow value. Lived there 9 years and I miss it!

I enjoyed kayaking the intercoastal waterways, driving on the beach when open to 4wd in the Winter, fishing and biking.
Random stuff: NC state income taxes are pretty low but you do pay property tax yearly on registered vehicles. Havelock NC is small town living without crowds but big box stores are close and the big city of Raliegh is an easy drive.

A DOD job near the beach sounds great!
Good luck to you

Old 01-05-2023, 11:46 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Based on your criteria, I believe Mayport (JAX) FL might be a gteat fit, although I'm not sure about the rental vs. buying market.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabrew719 View Post
I'm a few weeks away from accepting a position with the DoD, and have to rank my office location preferences. I still do not get to pick where I end up (based on the needs of the agency), but they try to drop people in one of their top 5 choices.

I am married, no kids (and none in the future), with pets. I would like to live near somewhere with outdoor recreation (trails, parks, places to walk the dog, etc.) with decent access to grocery stores and other shopping. I currently live in an area with a low cost of living, so affordability for the first few years will be very important. To give you an idea, my 4BR/2.5BA only cost us a tick over $200K. I'm in for a rude surprise! Ha

Combined income is about $150K annually, with annual grade and step increases expected each year. I'm 100% willing to sacrifice living space for affordability, but having an extra bedroom for visitors or office space would be great if we could swing it. I am going to spend as much time on my own researching costs and livability, but figured I'd ask those who have already lived in one or more of these areas for general advice.

Renting would be great since we'll only be in this first city for a handful of years, but having 3 pets is going to be an issue, so we may have to rent or buy a home instead of renting an apartment.

Choices:
San Diego, CA
Washington, DC
Mayport, FL
Oahu, HI
Chicago, IL
Jacksonville, NC
Newport, RI
Norfolk, VA
Silverdale, WA
SD has the nicest weather and beaches of the bunch.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabrew719 View Post

Choices:
San Diego, CA
Washington, DC
Mayport, FL
Oahu, HI
Chicago, IL
Jacksonville, NC
Newport, RI
Norfolk, VA
Silverdale, WA
I've lived in:
DC
Oahu
Norfolk

DC (5/10): not affordable, your pay is good but you won't be well off there. You have to trade distance from the city for space, and the traffic is some of the worst imaginable for people on "normal" hours. It is not unknown for some Federal office jobs to start very early and have the work day end by 3 to 3:30 to get out before the gridlock starts. Nice parks and all the perks of being in the capital city.

Oahu (7/10): not affordable, your pay is good and you can make it but you won't be living in exceptionally good areas (they'll be fine, just not top of the line). You will probably not get as much space as you hoped for regardless of where you live, either. They are not making more land on Oahu. Absolutely stellar outdoor recreation, though, particularly if you are into water related stuff-SCUBA, surfing, swimming, beaches. As a major tourist destination, it's nice to be able to do the touristy stuff and head home to your house afterwards. Some people suffer "island fever" of not being able to drive long distances. I never understood that, the island isn't that small, but it really does bother some people.

Norfolk (8/10): much more affordable, your pay is pretty high-end for that area, and space is possible. A rule of thumb is if you can, live and work on the same side of the water (e.g., if you are at the Norfolk Naval base itself, live in Norfolk or possibly VA Beach; if you are at the Naval Shipyard, live down around Suffolk or Portsmouth or Chesapeake, etc.). Follow that rule and traffic is not going to be awful. Reasonable outdoor stuff just outside the main metro areas and you are in a good location to get to mountains and beaches easily.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:07 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Was last in Norfolk in 1994. The base itself has many recreational activities. Outside the base there are the usual beaches and boating. Not too long a drive from Norfolk and you’re in some nice mountain areas.

Florida has plenty of options. One downside to Florida is it is the state most often hit by hurricanes. If you move there then get insurance to cover flood and hurricane damage for your vehicle and apartment.

I would stay away from DC and Chicago.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:25 AM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
Mayport FL is a beautiful outdoor area near Florida state parks and local parks.
You'd be able to save money toward your next posting and also enjoy living there.

I've lived in Florida half my life, both east and west coast, and hurricanes visit,
your work will likely help you prep if one comes but they are not as frequent in that location.
Don't buy anything except Zone X flood zone and get insurance quote before signing purchase offer.

Norfolk looks nice (I have no experience there) but LOTS more traffic to get to outdoor adventures.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Hello. Guy from San Diego. Lots of recreational possibilities here. The ocean, mountains to the East. Usually good weather all year around. Lots of military and civilians working and assigned to bases here. We have lots of military in our condo complex. Several Marine Corps and Navy officers. A retired Naval Academy officer.

Downside an extremely high cost of living. A modest tract home in the suburbs will be in the million dollar range. We also have some of the highest utility rates in the country. A one bedroom apartment in an upscale community could run as high as 3,000 a month. A decent home rental in a middle class neighborhood might be in the 5000 a month range. And there is a homeless problem like other CA cities.
I've never been to CA, but have always envied the weather and variety of things to do. I won't turn down this job if it's the location I'm offered, but I know it would be tough making ends meet for the first year or two until our GS pay catches up with the higher cost of living. Thanks for the insight!

Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I was in the Marines in the 80s through 92 then the Army up till 2013.
1st duty station was Kaneohe Hawaii and last one in Fairbanks Alaska. I'm still in AK after retirement from a Tribal healthcare job.

So in the Marines besides Hawaii I also did the typical East coast, West coast and Okinawa tours.

I loved California and Hawaii especially with the extra COLA and housing allowance I received but I think the East coast picks of Florida and North Carolina would be my choices. I think your $$ would go farther so they may fit your budget well and they have plenty of outdoor activities.

I was stationed at Cherry Point about 50 miles or so up the coast from Camp Lejuene. A much smaller base so I dont know if that would be open to you? I bought my 1st house there in Havelock NC, a 3bd 2ba was 65k in the 80s but now still under 200k per zillow value. Lived there 9 years and I miss it!

I enjoyed kayaking the intercoastal waterways, driving on the beach when open to 4wd in the Winter, fishing and biking.
Random stuff: NC state income taxes are pretty low but you do pay property tax yearly on registered vehicles. Havelock NC is small town living without crowds but big box stores are close and the big city of Raliegh is an easy drive.

A DOD job near the beach sounds great!
Good luck to you
Thank you! I would likely be at Lejeune, but could live within a certain radius (usually 50mi) from my duty location, so there are many options for places to live. I'll likely rank NC near the top of the list just so I can have a few years of saving up for a more expensive move later. Though I'd be a civilian, I would be subject to the mobility agreement and moving every ~5 years. CA/HI may be better suited for us when I've reached a higher GS level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues