Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 05:43 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/navy-drag-q...debate-1798015

US Navy using a drag queen for recruiting. Join the Navy, dress up in drag, sing some Cher or Bette Midler songs. That’ll scare our nation’s enemies. What did you do in the Navy Timmy? I dressed up as Dolly Parton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 06:52 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/navy-drag-q...debate-1798015

US Navy using a drag queen for recruiting. Join the Navy, dress up in drag, sing some Cher or Bette Midler songs. That’ll scare our nation’s enemies. What did you do in the Navy Timmy? I dressed up as Dolly Parton.
This was added under the current forum of “recruiting is in the tank”. Most likely because drag shows won’t help Navy recruitment.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:20 PM

634 posts, read 326,832 times
Can't say I have any problems with this or see anything wrong with it. It's not really hurting anything or anyone, like really hurting anything. I suppose it could slightly hurt recruitment but a few less homophobes joining the military is ultimately better for the military.

According to Petty Officer Kelley he's had nothing but positive experiences while in the military, having his drag persona known since 2018. So if he thinks he is able to weather the abuse he'll receive from some individuals out there and he has a strong support system then good for him.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:43 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Who cares. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon dressed in ‘drag’ in 1959 for the Academy Award winning movie Some Like it Hot.

Jamie Farr, aka Klinger in M*A*S*H dressed in drag.

Nobody gave a boo about it then because it’s ENTERTAINMENT. Some of you older people complaining of this were entertained by this decades ago.

Get over it.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:53 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Can't say I have any problems with this or see anything wrong with it. It's not really hurting anything or anyone, like really hurting anything. I suppose it could slightly hurt recruitment but a few less homophobes joining the military is ultimately better for the military.

According to Petty Officer Kelley he's had nothing but positive experiences while in the military, having his drag persona known since 2018. So if he thinks he is able to weather the abuse he'll receive from some individuals out there and he has a strong support system then good for him.
You’re missing the point. He is being used by the Navy as the latest recruiting tool. This storyline isn’t a drag queen in the military has just been publicly recognized and he gets to stay in the service. This guy is the new face of big Navy recruiting. It’s an embrace of the drag culture and using him as a example why kids should join the Navy.

Similar to pimping the movie Top Gun in the mid ‘80’s for Navy recruiting, now it’s a drag queen doing public outreach for the Navy. We understand you’re cool with it but will the Navy benefit? This is to attempt to get more high school kids to sign up because the Navy is paying this guy to do drag shows pushing efforts to “Join the Navy”.

Would it have been better to just use old videos of the Village People?

Correction. Apparently the Village People are still on tour in 2023; who knew? So it’s not old but a current band

https://www.songkick.com/artists/139...eople/calendar

Old 05-04-2023, 07:14 AM

634 posts, read 326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
You’re missing the point. He is being used by the Navy as the latest recruiting tool. This storyline isn’t a drag queen in the military has just been publicly recognized and he gets to stay in the service. This guy is the new face of big Navy recruiting. It’s an embrace of the drag culture and using him as a example why kids should join the Navy.

Similar to pimping the movie Top Gun in the mid ‘80’s for Navy recruiting, now it’s a drag queen doing public outreach for the Navy. We understand you’re cool with it but will the Navy benefit? This is to attempt to get more high school kids to sign up because the Navy is paying this guy to do drag shows pushing efforts to “Join the Navy”.

Would it have been better to just use old videos of the Village People?

Correction. Apparently the Village People are still on tour in 2023; who knew? So it’s not old but a current band

https://www.songkick.com/artists/139...eople/calendar
Ru Paul’s Drag Race is apparently a super-popular thing, so it’s not like there aren’t people out there who find drag queens entertaining and don’t seethe with rage upon seeing one.

The military has used NASCAR, esports, a bowling team, and more for recruiting. That’s pretty much what their academy sports teams are for. They’ve gotta try something. I’m not one to speak too much on what advertising campaigns should or shouldn’t work because none of them when I joined were really geared towards me and I actively ignored advertising/recruiting efforts; I only joined because a friend was and I had zero post-HS plans. You couldn’t pay me to watch auto racing or a college football game. Would a drag queen doing videos get me to join? Nope, not really. I might be at least inclined to check them out though because I’ve seen some hilarious drag shows on TikTok, like one with Pokémon-themed drag queens acting out scenes from the animated series in a club. And while there is t too much in common between drag queens and the ballroom scene, the ballroom stuff with people in 12-inch heels doing deathdrops on catwalks is entertaining to watch and looks like it’d be fun to see in person.

I’m not gonna say what does and doesn’t work for recruiting because I don’t have access to all of the analytics and data that the recruiting commands almost assuredly collect and track. If it doesn’t work, then it’s not something they’ll likely pursue for too long. I don’t think this is the DoD’s recruiting campaign for the year though; like, they’re not halting all flyovers of stadiums in order to use the money for this.

And for as much as some people here absolutely hate the idea of it, gays can serve in the military. There doesn’t seem to be any real recruiting out to target the entire LGBT demographic, other than “Hey, you can serve too, but people REALLY don’t like it.” Recruiting seems to be about casting wide nets in different directions and seeing who they catch. There’s no point ignoring any one group.

Last edited by EYEL1NER; 05-04-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-04-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Ru Paul’s Drag Race is apparently a super-popular thing, so it’s not like there aren’t people out there who find drag queens entertaining and don’t seethe with rage upon seeing one.
The military has used NASCAR, esports, a bowling team, and more for recruiting. That’s pretty much what their academy sports teams are for. They’ve gotta try something. I’m not one to speak too much on what advertising campaigns should or shouldn’t work because none of them when I joined were really geared towards me and I actively ignored advertising/recruiting efforts; I only joined because a friend was and I had zero post-HS plans.
The best recruiting campaigns are those conducted directly on the high school or university campus. Sadly too many educators, including administrators, actively oppose having military recruiters on campus talking to students. Some teachers unions have even set up programs to actively counter military recruiters on campus when the courts ruled they must be allowed on campus. Good recruiters can reach more potential candidates than social media personalities. Commercials for the Navy should include what possible training one can receive as well as the world travel opportunities. Engineering fields offer great job opportunities after service. Electronics and computer fields are also great opportunities. Some military cooks have gone on to become restaurant chefs/owners. I’ve known some who continued taking college courses during their 4 years, left the Navy, and enrolled at a university with enough credits for at least an associate’s degree and used their GI Bill to help them with their tuition. I know of a few who retired at 38 years old and started a second career while receiving VA retirement and health coverage and retired again before the age of 65. One is my brother-in-law who now works as an administrator at the VA facility where he lives. Showing what’s available and what’s possible appeals to a broad range of potential candidates. One issue is the candidates see the military job title and don’t really know what it means. Next to the military job title should include all the various civilian jobs it would be related to. Tell a candidate they could be a hull tech and they have no clue what that means. Tell them they can learn welding, plumbing, firefighting, and other skills. Tell someone they can be a machinist mate they may think you’re talking about a job as a machinist. In the Navy a machinist isn’t a machinist mate. A machinist mate covers a wide variety of mechanical jobs such as restaurant dish washer, water pumps, air compressors, hydraulic pumps, water purification, steam turbine electric generators, and other equipment.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:57 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Who cares. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon dressed in ‘drag’ in 1959 for the Academy Award winning movie Some Like it Hot.

Jamie Farr, aka Klinger in M*A*S*H dressed in drag.

Nobody gave a boo about it then because it’s ENTERTAINMENT. Some of you older people complaining of this were entertained by this decades ago.

Get over it.
As you say, it was entertainment.

Not real life. Not real blood on the line.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:00 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The best recruiting campaigns are those conducted directly on the high school or university campus. Sadly too many educators, including administrators, actively oppose having military recruiters on campus talking to students. Some teachers unions have even set up programs to actively counter military recruiters on campus when the courts ruled they must be allowed on campus. Good recruiters can reach more potential candidates than social media personalities. Commercials for the Navy should include what possible training one can receive as well as the world travel opportunities. Engineering fields offer great job opportunities after service. Electronics and computer fields are also great opportunities. Some military cooks have gone on to become restaurant chefs/owners. I’ve known some who continued taking college courses during their 4 years, left the Navy, and enrolled at a university with enough credits for at least an associate’s degree and used their GI Bill to help them with their tuition. I know of a few who retired at 38 years old and started a second career while receiving VA retirement and health coverage and retired again before the age of 65. One is my brother-in-law who now works as an administrator at the VA facility where he lives. Showing what’s available and what’s possible appeals to a broad range of potential candidates. One issue is the candidates see the military job title and don’t really know what it means. Next to the military job title should include all the various civilian jobs it would be related to. Tell a candidate they could be a hull tech and they have no clue what that means. Tell them they can learn welding, plumbing, firefighting, and other skills. Tell someone they can be a machinist mate they may think you’re talking about a job as a machinist. In the Navy a machinist isn’t a machinist mate. A machinist mate covers a wide variety of mechanical jobs such as restaurant dish washer, water pumps, air compressors, hydraulic pumps, water purification, steam turbine electric generators, and other equipment.
That's a good point that could resonate even with Gen Z.

Show success stories.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's a good point that could resonate even with Gen Z.

Show success stories.
Not just success stories, but also travel videos from actual sailors in their travels. Clips of fun moments on the ship as well as clips of port visits to famous or exotic locations would make great online or tv commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues