Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Dropped....means recycled?

If that's the case I think I know what it is...ingrown tonail.

Yep, the day before she left for bootcamp she said it was hurting.

Bet that's what it is.
No need to worry...she'll be okay and call you when she can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
When I was in they insisted that recuits in basic write their folks alot. Provided everyhting including satmps. You didn't want a call from home that they wandered about you as that meant catching hell for not writing. We were not allowed telephone calls until we got a on base pass and used pay telephone which always had a line although there were alot fo them.thnik most think they made amistake when they get to boot camp.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Too funny!

My son is on his third tour with the Coast Guard, and I am still trying to decipher the alphabet soup!
My soninlaw is a coastie. He was at the Calumet Harbor station when they met. Then married. Then they were sent to Oregon Inlet. Now he is getting ready to go to Iraq and dd will come back here in May.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
My soninlaw is a coastie. He was at the Calumet Harbor station when they met. Then married. Then they were sent to Oregon Inlet. Now he is getting ready to go to Iraq and dd will come back here in May.
Well, we have lots of common ground-Coasties and Indiana, I used to live in Indiana.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Well, we have lots of common ground-Coasties and Indiana, I used to live in Indiana.
Hoosier daddy and what he do? (Sorry, just couldn't resist...)

Old 11-07-2008, 07:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hoosier daddy and what he do? (Sorry, just couldn't resist...)
And that's just how they do it, too!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
UPDATE:

Just got the letter. Bless her heart - she didn't make the 1.5 mile run in time. She fell behind a few seconds.

This is interesting- back in the day when I was in bootcamp we were trained to run. Upon arrival we did 1/4 mile, then the next day 1/2 and the next 3/4, etc. Then I think it was about 2 weeks into boot camp that we did the first 'test'.

Now, they test you the first week. While I see the advantage of that for the military, it saddens me as my daughter excels at the flex arm hang (after it's over she's still hanging) and does outstanding on the situps (she could keep going and going...and going)...but she has to work at her running.

Guys, be praying for her!

[I warned her about boot camp but I think she didn't believe me. She said, "they aren't allowed to curse or hit you anymore" she's already got a dose!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 75,292 times
Navy boot circa 1978- Once you got off the bus at RIF, you went into a room and sat at a desk. You were given your lock for your locker and the chain for your dogtags they would make for you. You then filled out 2 safe-arrival cards. all you had to fill in was the address on the front, fill in the blank after "Dear_________" and sign it at the bottom. We were told, "You WILL address one to your mother; I don't care if you are 50 years old and Mom is 80." The other one can go to whoever you wanted. We had time the next afternoon to write a short letter home. Sunday afternoon got there on Thursday night), we got to go to the C-Center and make one 5-minute phone call to home.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
We got no calls for teh first twp weeks unless they called;bu ypou wrote at nght before lights out.God help you iof tehy called saying they hadn't heard from yopu.As far as the girl goesd ;she'll come around if its just the run. By the time I got to jump school the 5 mile run was pretty easy because you ran everyhwere in boot camp and we had long runs in AIT if you were going to jump school.AIT was like vacation after boot camp in 68.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues