Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:03 PM

63 posts, read 258,643 times

Advertisements

Hi there chispirit, I'm not military, never have been, but I am native of San Antonio, Texas. We have a tremendous number of retired military here, many of which are good friends of mine. They claim, of all the places that I think would be fabulous places to live, that San Antonio is the very best. Most of them had been stationed at one of our bases at one time or another. I've heard a number of times that they could hardly wait to get back here permanantly.
Now, of course, I think it's a great town but coming from folks who have been all over the globe that's quite a reputation. You might check it out, you just might like it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 PM

97 posts, read 389,841 times
Thanks everybody for writing such great info for us.
We still have 3 years and hubby will have to work after he gets out. We also have to think of our 2 children at that point since the public schools here are pretty good it will be hard to find something similar somewhere else. All the info is great though .... thanks again :0)

Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Most will go where the work is, but you can control that if you start early enough.
The OP was about retiring.

I think that if your working then your not retiring.

Obviously when your working you go wherever the work is.

Quote:
... My first offer was right in DC, and I took it, but started looking south right away.

AL, TX, SC, NC, GA or any state with tax breaks, tax breaks for Veterans, a strong job market and affordable housing.

I've always been told tolerance for the cold begins to fade as you get older, so we picked the deep south.
Paying high taxes would be bad.

I think that a huge part of this is: does your Cost-of-living require that you maintain a full-time job?

Or can you live comfortably on your pension, or maybe a part-time seasonal job on the side?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
I'm with Erma... don't give up on Virginia. My husband retired in 2003 (Army) and we were able to get to Virginia (my home state!). Started in Fredericksburg and now are in Chesterfield. What branch is your husband currently in?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The OP was about retiring.

I think that if your working then your not retiring.

Obviously when your working you go wherever the work is.

I don't think I could ever be retired that much. I got out after 20+ and moved home. After the 1st week of terminal leave I told the DW I was headed to Calais. When she asked what I needed up there I said "a job!" Now I have a job I don't need but want. It's fun and I get to meet many people. You sound as if you're working at self sufficiencey. And that is work too just with military suplemental.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 PM

During my career, I formed the opinion that building a home that is a 'Faraday cage' and a self-sufficient farm would be a good idea.

So, ....

Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Moving to income-tax free FLA, close to MacDill AFB.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM

97 posts, read 389,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Moving to income-tax free FLA, close to MacDill AFB.
BucFan ,are you still stationed in Germany ?????

Thanks for the suggestion. :0)

Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM

I guess that I am missing part of this.

Are we discussing income taxes? or property taxes?

If your going to be retired military, then your income is low enough that you won't be paying income taxes anyway. So you can move anywhere.

If your focusing on property taxes then you want places with little or no property taxes.

A high cost-of-living area might require that you seek further employment, which means that as your income goes back up again, you may begin paying income taxes again.

A low cost-of-living area avoids that.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
BucFan ,are you still stationed in Germany ?????

Thanks for the suggestion. :0)
yes, for five more months. Southeast Deutschland. I retire to the Tampa area in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues