Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 16,134 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for me, to servive Boot Camp. I am heading out to RTC Great Lakes on June 16th and would love to hear your stories and any advice you are willing to share.

SR Kalbrener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
1. Keep your mouth shut. ie, do not try and be a smart aleck?

2. Do what you are told to by your chain of command.

3. Do not say "I can't"

4. Do not quit.

5. Help your buddies...

Good luck!

Rich

Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
From a former Great Lakes RTC SR (1968): When it comes time to pick what kind of job you want to do in the Navy, try to pick something that is related to a civilian type job......such as, Electronics Tech, Storekeeper, Personnel Man, Machinist Mate or whatever. So, if you decide not to make a career out of the Navy, you will have some training and experience for a job in civilian life.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
I'm a 1996 Great Lakes RTC boot camp graduate. All of the above suggestions are great. In addition, here are my sure ways to survive:
1. Pay attention to detail, even the most minute detail. They will be teaching you things such as folding your clothes a certain way. They will scrutinize even the smallest mistake, but it is to improve your chances of success.
2. Remember that you will be eating, sharing a housing area, and training with about 80 people you've never met before. Work together as a team, help the stragglers, and offer lots of moral support to each other.
3. You will be kept very busy. Your time at RTC is going to fly by pretty quickly. Keep that in mind when the going gets tough.
4. Utilize the chapel.
5. Even though recruit division commanders can be tough and sometimes act like they hate you, they very much want to see you succeed. Take heed to any advice they give you that they say will help you through boot camp because it will.

Most of all, thank you for deciding to serve and best of luck at RTC and your military career. RTC will be a unique experience.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,134 times
Thank you for the advice it has not fallen on deaf ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues