Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think women should be able to join the Infantry?
Yes 26 49.06%
No 23 43.40%
Other (explain) 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Apparently the Foriegn Legion is taking women

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/wp-...-512347589.jpg
Those are Troupes de Marine - French Army overseas troops (ie: French Polynesia, French Guiana, Martinique, Guadalupe, Reunion, etc). The group behind them are Fusilers-Marin who are the French Navy's naval infantry.

FFL always wear kepi's with white covers (ie: kepi blanc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Those are Troupes de Marine - French Army overseas troops (ie: French Polynesia, French Guiana, Martinique, Guadalupe, Reunion, etc). The group behind them are Fusilers-Marin who are the French Navy's naval infantry.

FFL always wear kepi's with white covers (ie: kepi blanc).
You could be right, I see some other uniforms thrown into the formation.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
I will just point out that the Canadian Forces has NO restrictions on any trade group, as far as females are concerned. If they can pass the physical, and the trade entry tests, they are in.

As a result, the CF has women in every trade, inckuding Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Combat Engineers, and Sigs. We also have female pilots, both rotary and fixed wing, submarine and ship's crew, and naval divers and EOD techs.

It is not at all unusual to have a LAV3 with a mixed male and female crew, or a mixed 155 gun crew, or a platoon with men and women on patrol. Women are promoted by the same merit and trade ability as men are. I served for 30 years, and retired as MWO, which in the US system is a E8.

IN my last Regiment, the senior NCO, the RSM,was a woman, who had come up through the ranks, as a Infanteer. She was not a person to take any guff from anyone, but she was a total professional, and she was a leader. The Regimental Sgt Major is an appointment, not a rank, and he/she has to be the embodiment of the history, and spirit, of the group. In the CF the CWO rank insignia is the Coat Of Arms Of Canada, worn on the lower sleeve of the tunic. It signifies the trsut and faith that the CF places in the CWO.

So, yes, a modern military force can have women in combat roles, and the outcome, at least in Canada has been outstanding. Of course, we recruit mature adults, and expect them to act that way.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Gender normed my butt.

Women in combat will cause men to get killed. Millions of years of evolution says males must protect the females.

All combat is difficult and mine was in Vietnam 1968-1969 with the 2nd battalion First Infantry Division operating 10 to 50 miles north of Saigon.

The longest I was ever out was 12 days without a toilet, shower or even a change of clothes beyond a pair of socks every four or five days. We didn't wear underwear because it was to hot. Heat was always near 100 degrees, humidity was always near 100%, we were always covered in sweat and humps of 12 to 20 clicks (kilometers) in a day were common.

You see things you never forget. For me it was the sight of a 20 year old newly married kid trying to get up using the stump of his arm after a fragmentation grenade went off in his hand taking his arm off above the elbow while shredding both of his eyes from his head. Fragmentation grenades leave little holes all over your body and these he had lots of, it is what ended up killing him later that day.

This wasn't combat, it was a training accident for the newly arrived that went horribly wrong. Two weeks before the young man had been on his honeymoon.

I was a combat medic and I was the lucky one to get this "easy duty" this day. I was supposed to just be there in case something went wrong, it did, and I think of that image of a young man blind man trying to get up on the shredded stump of a n arm more often than I like to admit. the stump looked like it had greasy uncooked bacon strips hanging from it. It ain't like the video games.

I was the medic and I was supposed to deal with this?

If it had been a girl I don't know how I would have coped.

Whoever is bringing up this gender normed stuff has never been there and they do not want to be. How stupid.
I have not been in combat, but female nurses and doctors in any trauma center ER deal with stabbings, gunshot wounds, burned patients, and horrible, horrible motor vehicle accidents that kill/maim/burn children as well every day of the week. They've been doing so for years.

What makes you think females wouldn't be able "to cope"?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I have not been in combat, but female nurses and doctors in any trauma center ER deal with stabbings, gunshot wounds, burned patients, and horrible, horrible motor vehicle accidents that kill/maim/burn children as well every day of the week. They've been doing so for years.

What makes you think females wouldn't be able "to cope"?
There is a difference between seeing somebody with a gunshot wound and seeing somebody GETTING shot. It's very personal, you DO feel something different when seeing another soldier go through that. Being in a firefight isn't really something you can prepare yourself for either. I think the way men are wired vs women helps to a degree. Though nobody is immune to the effects. Your thought process, awareness and even motorskills can be greatly reduced when you are being shot at. Once rounds are whizzing by your head simple tasks like getting a decent sight picture with your weapon becomes a chore.

Being in the infantry is overrated. I spent the better part of 18months on a tiny 36 man COP in Afghanistan living off of MREs and whatever food we could get from the locals. We slept in a bunker and pissed/shat in dirt holes. We made contact with the enemy litterally every single day. We went EVERYWHERE on foot and rounds and food came by way of Chinook (which occasionally were shot down). The CIB I get to wear on my Class A's wasn't really worth all that. It's no way to live really.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM

116 posts, read 546,431 times
If Israel does it so should we.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Default Do you think women should be able to join the Infantry?

Topic of hot debate. Letting women into the ranks of the military which is very male dominated. Women are encroaching on one of the last frontiers that they are still barred from being apart of, the coveted Infantry, one of the most grueling positions within the ranks of the armed services, they ARE the front line. Anyway, curious to see what everyone's opinion is on women joining the infantry. For it? Against it? Maybe a mixed bag with different ideas than the standard approach?

Thought this was interesting, from the Marine Corps Times. Give it a read at your leisure.

Marines open infantry training to hundreds more female officers | Marine Corps Times | marinecorpstimes.com

Old 09-24-2014, 08:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
I think the people who are best qualified and want to be Infantry should be able to join Infantry.

Would you rather have a qualified female or an unqualified male?

Don't know about anyone else but I'd want the most qualified person regardless of if they were male, female, gay, straight, bi, white, black, Christian, Buddhist, whatever. I want the person next to me to put it all on the line like I would for them.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
No! Women should not be allowed in combat roles. Women and men don't have the same strength or fighting/combat skills. Countries that let allow women to fight on the front lines of combat are usually weak nations. American society needs to get its act together when it comes to gender. Society strongly preaches that men should never hit women because men are much stronger but at the same time society tries hype women up by given them this false belief that they can do anything a man can do physically. We all know that this is a bunch of garbage.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Thought this was interesting, from the Marine Corps Times. Give it a read at your leisure.

Marines open infantry training to hundreds more female officers | Marine Corps Times | marinecorpstimes.com

The actual article:
Marines open infantry training to hundreds more female officers
Jul. 10, 2014

"The opportunity for women to attend the Marines’ Infantry Officer Course experiment won’t be limited to entry-level officers for much longer. Starting this October, company-grade officers — lieutenants and captains — who have already served in another primary occupation will be allowed to raise their hands and give IOC a shot."

Another article Fourteen women have tried, and failed, the Marines Article by United States Marine Corps Second Lieutenant Sage Santangelo. One of the women in the group of female officers who had attempted the course since it was opened to women in the fall of 2012.

If they can complete the course, they should be able to serve as appropriate. The subject was being beat to death over 20 years ago while I was on active duty. While in the Army, I served with some female soldiers. There was no issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues