Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 AM

152 posts, read 303,596 times

Advertisements

Now, I am trying to get into the Army National Guard first to become a medic and then switch to Active Army. Now here is the thing, I know someone who is also wanting to be in the military and they asked me to look something up for them. I haven't found it so I want to ask for this person. They want to undergo a sex change and they are enlisted. Are they able to stay in the military or are their chances ****ed up because of the sex change? No bible thumpers can alter this persons mind because they are Christian and that is a whole other issue. But on to the original subject.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
Now, I am trying to get into the Army National Guard first to become a medic and then switch to Active Army. Now here is the thing, I know someone who is also wanting to be in the military and they asked me to look something up for them. I haven't found it so I want to ask for this person. They want to undergo a sex change and they are enlisted. Are they able to stay in the military or are their chances ****ed up because of the sex change? No bible thumpers can alter this persons mind because they are Christian and that is a whole other issue. But on to the original subject.
As far as I know the Military will not allow them to stay in if they have the change, or allow it to take place during their contracted time of service, nor will they except them back in after the change. To many medical variable for the service to deal with. Personally I could care less what others do with their bodies, sometimes mother nature just makes a goof. But the person standing next to them in a formation may have a problem with it. And right now the Armed Forces have their hands full with other problems to be setting everything aside just for this particular problem, or person.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
I know someone who is also wanting to be in the military and they asked me to look something up for them.
Read this:
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment and Appointment - Genitalia

Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
This of course is a No-Go in the military.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I guess you could say, that could "file #13" that idea ;~) !
A pun was in tented here!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
I think it would be allowed, perhaps.... if the member used all of their own leave time for the operation, and paid for it by themselves. In many states, those who undergo a sex change become LEGALLY the other sex, and get driver's license, passport, even birth certificate, altered to reflect the new sex. Wanting a sex change isn't the same as being gay, and will often have nothing to do with sexual preference. If it is legal to change sex, and the military doesn't specifically prohibit it (not that I know of) then they couldn't stop your friend. I'll do some more research though....

As far as the link above, those are for joining the military.

You can't join with HIV, but you can stay in and reenlist of you have HIV (contrary to popular belief, until it turns into AIDS and affects your work ability, you can stay in).
You can't join missing a limb, but many injured vets are allowed to STAY in.
You can't join with asthma, but if you develop asthma that is controllable, you can stay in, same with diabetes, cancer, and many others.

Not being allowed to join is different than being allowed to stay in.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
OK...I can't find anything

Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I think it would be allowed, perhaps.... if the member used all of their own leave time for the operation, and paid for it by themselves. In many states, those who undergo a sex change become LEGALLY the other sex, and get driver's license, passport, even birth certificate, altered to reflect the new sex. Wanting a sex change isn't the same as being gay, and will often have nothing to do with sexual preference. If it is legal to change sex, and the military doesn't specifically prohibit it (not that I know of) then they couldn't stop your friend. I'll do some more research though....

As far as the link above, those are for joining the military.

You can't join with HIV, but you can stay in and reenlist of you have HIV (contrary to popular belief, until it turns into AIDS and affects your work ability, you can stay in).
You can't join missing a limb, but many injured vets are allowed to STAY in.
You can't join with asthma, but if you develop asthma that is controllable, you can stay in, same with diabetes, cancer, and many others.

Not being allowed to join is different than being allowed to stay in.
OK, look at it this way,

they are going from Reserve duty status to active duty status and during the transition time they get the sex change done. Now they must go through a complete medical revue and that in its self will kill their chance from getting in. They are no longer what they were before, its a completely different person, sex and all.
Beside with all the hormone shots they may require, the military will NOT pay for it. Physical fitness standards are different from male to female. And if they have changed into a man, they must be COMBAT READY, and most certainly will not qualify.
No the Armed Forces will not even talk to your friend, they might as well enjoy their civilian life from now on.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM

152 posts, read 303,596 times
Ok, I thank y'all for your answers. Although I have checked through everything with him and we have come up with nothing against him joining. Now I have seen tablets of Estrogen and we have come up with a total cost of about $100,000 that he will have to fork over in cash for not just the sex change operation but liposuction on a few places. He does feel like he wants to do this and he is wanting to join up and do the same thing I am. He's a very good friend and it would be awesome to have your buddy there with you when you go into battle or a formation. Anyway, I was also wondering if any of y'all are in or retired from the military. If so, can y'all state your status (enlisted, active, or retired), rank, last name, and branch? Enlisted, Private Sikes (E2), Army National Guard.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, I thank y'all for your answers. Although I have checked through everything with him and we have come up with nothing against him joining. Now I have seen tablets of Estrogen and we have come up with a total cost of about $100,000 that he will have to fork over in cash for not just the sex change operation but liposuction on a few places. He does feel like he wants to do this and he is wanting to join up and do the same thing I am. He's a very good friend and it would be awesome to have your buddy there with you when you go into battle or a formation. Anyway, I was also wondering if any of y'all are in or retired from the military. If so, can y'all state your status (enlisted, active, or retired), rank, last name, and branch? Enlisted, Private Sikes (E2), Army National Guard.
I am a 21 year career man from the US Navy SeaBees, Equipment Operator First Class Petty Officer, now a Retired Disabled Vet. That's an E-6 in pay grade. I'll leave my name blank, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues