Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,544 times

Advertisements

You would think retired Military reservist would be allowed to purchase Tricare Medical insurance before age 60 sinse we can't draw retirement pay until then. How much extra would it cost. Geez.

Last edited by High Springs Gator; 12-30-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,876 times
Bills to allow just this have been proposed and shot down along with lots of other benefits for reservists/guard who have served and reached their "20". Yup, it's about money and the fact that by expending funds to those over twenty and retired does not return on the investment. Doesn't sound pretty, but it's the truth. Just remember that members of congress and the senate will on Thursday be getting a $4700 raise. Also, it was just recently that non deployed reservists could even get the option to purchase Tricare health and dental which was also very long overdue which in the present economic climate can become a valuable benefit for those who are losing their civilian jobs.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 AM

8 posts, read 27,497 times
You got to remember that the government is a business too and they are trying to save as much money as possible.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM

433 posts, read 532,994 times
Default Tricare For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
You would think retired Military reservist would be allowed to purchase Tricare Medical insurance before age 60 sinse we can't draw retirement pay until then. How much extra would it cost. Geez.
As if this isn't bad enough, once you go past 65 and become eligible for Medicare, you go on Tricare For Life (and pay Medicare Part B.) There is(are) presently proposals to eliminate/severely reduce the benefits under TFL.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I have TFL. It isn't all that great anyway. Tricare considers EVERY insurance plan to be primary to them, so they only pay a portion of what the other plans didn't pay, IF your deductibles have been met.
It is somewhat better than nothing, I guess.
Actually, I have three plans at the moment.
Medicare is primary.
Then, Blue Cross/Blue Shield pays a portion of what Medicare didn't pay.
Then, Tricare pays a portion of what is left.
Then, I get to pay the remainder.
THIS is how the "free medical care for life" promise the government made to me in 1959 is being kept.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times
First, the government is in no way, shape, or form a business. If it were, IMO over half of the congress would be serving long prison terms.

We are under 65 and on Tricare only. For the money, it's an incredible deal. Our annual premium is what many would pay monthly. If there's a base nearby, many medications can be obtained there at no cost.

My best advice: don't get hurt, don't get sick, stay in shape.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times
Guess you'll have to ask your congressional candidates in the next election before deciding who to vote for.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,030 times
Any individual serving in the Reserves is eligible to purchase Tricare Standard, but a Retired Reservist is not. This is absurd. I just retired from the Army Reserve after 25 years with 3 deployments, the last three years on active duty, and 10 years active duty time total. I think Retired Reservists should be eligible to purchase what they were eligible to purchase before they retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues