Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which branch is best for a Nurse?
Army 3 15.00%
Navy 7 35.00%
Air Force 8 40.00%
Don't Join the military 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 PM

7 posts, read 48,901 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am 27 and I graduate from nursing school (BSN) this coming August. I am in the process of meeting with medical officer recruiters and am interested in joining the military after passing the NCLEX. I am having such a hard time deciding which branch I should join. The pros and cons of each all make them level out to me.

Is there one branch over the other that will provide me with better experiences and training as a nurse?

Are there much differences in the "day in the life" of a nurse in each branch?

I am single and have no kids, but I DEFINITELY want a family someday. I'm afraid joining the military will put a damper on this. Should I be worried??

Right now, is there a demand for nurses in the military (as officers)?

Also, I would love to hear personal experiences from those who are in or who have served in the military.

Thank you all for what you do for our country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
If you have a calling to serve your country any of the services will be a good choice.

I would rate them in this order: Air Force, Navy, Army

Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,396,054 times
Where are the Marines in this discussion?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Marines, if Im not mistaken, do not have their own sect of medical staff. Their doctors and nurses come from the Navy because when doctors take their hippocratic (sp?) oath, it conflicts with what Marine's are trained to do:Kill.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
No, Marines don't have medical b/c the Marines are under the Dept of the Navy, and the navy provides all medical and religious personnel b/c "it's always been that way" from when the marines were more closely tied to the Navy, and the Marine Corps has no desire to use their operational budget for things the Navy is willing to provide. Hippocratic oaths an killing has nothing to do with it. In fact there are even special ops corpsmen.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem77 View Post
I am single and have no kids, but I DEFINITELY want a family someday. I'm afraid joining the military will put a damper on this. Should I be worried??
No, you should not be worried, but you will have to consider your familiy and your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem77 View Post
Also, I would love to hear personal experiences from those who are in or who have served in the military.

Thank you all for what you do for our country!
Our family has dealt with Air Force and Army nurses over the past years. Our children were born on an Air Force Base. I remember several of the nurses who helped my wife when our first child was born. I have seen nurses who have had children. I have met several retired nurses. We are currently friends with retired/former military nurses.

Most of the people in this forum who served in the military have encountered military nurses. Mine have all been positive and so has my wife's. I have never really dealt with Navy nurses.

There appears to be a lot of information on the internet regarding military nurses. If you have not, I highly recommend you do some searches. here is one site I found which looked interesting: Military Nursing Opportunities

I would also try to find some military nursing forums.

I think the military offers a lot of exciting opportunities, I think you should seriously consider the opportunity if you can get it.

Good luck!

Rich

Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 AM

329 posts, read 1,047,530 times
to be quite frank, nurses are and will be in very high demand in the civilian world over the next 5-10 years. You will find higher pay in the civilian sector. Due to the dearth of nurses in the US, it is one of the few professions that are recession-resistant. if you can handle the stress of the job (and it sounds like you're already prepared for it), then the civilian sector has a lot of opportunities for you.

source: Healthcare

Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 48,901 times
Thank you for the responses.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I have no clue about which branch would serve you the best.

I do believe that military service is good for a person.

I also think that toward the end of your first tour, you and only you can answer if the military is the right place for you to be. Being career military is not the 'right' fit for everyone.

At this time who else offers the benefits?

May Divine Providence guide you.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Maybe we could help you better with our recommendations if we knew what your reasoning is behind wanting to join the military as a nurse.

Meaning, service to country, adventure, training/experience, travel, security, bonus $, etc.

PS: I posted this on another of threads too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues