Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

Usually more than 180 days is required to be a PCS.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
For tech school it is 20 weeks and the dependents get a PCS. Something to keep in mind, while it appears it isn't the case here, it's not uncommon for a student to attend multiple bases for tech school.

If the spouse can, move back in with the parents, save the BAH and Family separation pay.

Also FYI...The military will only pay for the military member to move from the last tech school location to the next base. So if the member is from Seattle, but last tech school is in TX base and gets orders to a different TX base the member gets screwed IMO. The dependents do get a full paid move. If one can get RAP duty (recruiter assistance program) back where the dependent is, they can then go home on their own dollar and assist their spouse with the move.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 26,155 times
ok thanks guys, and another Q, do i get to make a wish list of the bases i wanna be stationed at? im not sure how that works

Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson 5309 View Post
ok thanks guys, and another Q, do i get to make a wish list of the bases i wanna be stationed at? im not sure how that works
Yes, up to eight within the continental united states and up to eight everywhere else. They call it a dream sheet and it's relatively low odds you'll get something on their. You can do an assignment swap with another student at tech school. Very tight time constraints, I think it was five days of receiving your notification, and that includes holidays and weekends. If there's somewhere you want to go, it's not uncommon to offer money to someone to swap. The Air Force is trying to adhere to keeping you on base for 48 months, a hundred dollar investment isn't a bad offer...

Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I work at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo and I would not count on you coming here, again for the reasons mentioned above. His school just isn't long enough. Not only that, he really needs to be focused on school. Their time is pretty much taken up between PT, school, and studying. I'm not sure what career field he is going into, I would assume Intel? If that is. the case, it's a pretty stressful school. Just wait until he gets his orders and PCSs to his first duty station.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I work at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo and I would not count on you coming here, again for the reasons mentioned above. His school just isn't long enough. Not only that, he really needs to be focused on school. Their time is pretty much taken up between PT, school, and studying. I'm not sure what career field he is going into, I would assume Intel? If that is. the case, it's a pretty stressful school. Just wait until he gets his orders and PCSs to his first duty station.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,984 times
Correct, 20 weeks is the minimum length for a family to be allowed to PCS with the military member to tech school. However, my tech school was 19 weeks...I had a newborn son with my wife. After 6 weeks I went home for Christmas Exodus. We packed the car with what belongings we had and they moved about 2 blocks outside base to a furnished apartment. When i was phase 3 I could see them everyday after school on or off base and spend the weekends with them.

Not the most cost effective thing to do, but you can definetly make it work. I then had my first assignment after tech school at Sheppard AFB to Travis (in Northern California). I make a home of record move (that way i would get paid for moving everything from our home in Arizona). As mentioned earlier with a traditional pcs from tech school they won't pay for you to move from your home, but from tech school to your perm. duty station.
With a home of record move you can get paid to move your personal belongings from your permanent residence. Keep in mind you can only do this ONE time in your enlistment.

hope this helps

Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 26,155 times
i think my tech school is like 13 weeks, how often do i get to take a leave and come home during tech school? or do i..

Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson 5309 View Post
i think my tech school is like 13 weeks, how often do i get to take a leave and come home during tech school? or do i..
Assuming your coming directly from Basic and are active duty, probably never. All tech school have different rules and schedules. Your home will be a dorm. In order to leave a certain distance around you may need approval. You generally always need approval to stay overnight somewhere other than your dorm. Weeknights they always have dorm checks to make sure you're there.

A typical schedule is like this, you wake up early, clean your room, fall in place outside your dorm, march to school by 6am. Around noon march to the dining facility for lunch than back to school. School ends at 3pm, march back to the dorms, change into physical training clothing, do physical training until 5pm. At 5pm you're released.

Some tech schools like Keesler have every-other Friday off. Also, from Thanksgiving-Xmas break, you may be expected to go to school up to 7 days a week.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Trust me... you don't want to move to San Angelo lol
You can get an apartment off post since he will have BAH. You can get an apartment for yourself and your baby and your husband can visit you when his chain of command allows him to. It usually doesn't take long until airmen and soldiers are allowed to go off-post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues