Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM

63 posts, read 205,155 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm going to attend UWM this fall as a freshman. I'm coming from St. Paul, MN and am moving in exactly forty days, so I'm really excited!

Unfortunately, I was very ill during New Freshman Orientation and couldn't handle sticking around for the Cambridge Commons tour. (I'm part of a Living Learning Community, meaning I live in Cambridge Commons by default.)

I'm getting mixed messages about the Riverwest neighborhood (is CC technically located in Riverwest?) when I browse this forum, so I'm just wondering if anybody can give me any advice/comments about the neighborhood and, if possible, the CC dorms themselves.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 PM

711 posts, read 1,690,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletfly View Post
Hello all,

I'm going to attend UWM this fall as a freshman. I'm coming from St. Paul, MN and am moving in exactly forty days, so I'm really excited!

Unfortunately, I was very ill during New Freshman Orientation and couldn't handle sticking around for the Cambridge Commons tour. (I'm part of a Living Learning Community, meaning I live in Cambridge Commons by default.)

I'm getting mixed messages about the Riverwest neighborhood (is CC technically located in Riverwest?) when I browse this forum, so I'm just wondering if anybody can give me any advice/comments about the neighborhood and, if possible, the CC dorms themselves.

Thanks!
Hey, CC is across the river from Riverwest... the river is the neighborhood border but I'm sure you'll be back and forth all the time.

Riverwest has so many threads about it, but basically it's an urban neighborhood with alot to offer. You're in a city so use common sense like don't get drunk and wander around (use BOSS). Also, you have alot of transit options in the area, plus so much within walking distance... do yourself a favor and leave your car.

Is there anything specifically that you're looking for... or looking to avoid?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM

63 posts, read 205,155 times
I don't plan on drinking at all (history of alcoholism in the family... not something I want to deal with), but that's just the thing--will the culture in Milwaukee have anything to offer me? I know I can't trust generalizations, but it seems like Milwaukee's all about the alcohol, and many of the incoming freshman post on the Facebook page things like "I can't wait to get wasted." urgh.

Things I'm specifically looking for are vegetarian restaurants (or restaurants with notable vegetarian options), coffee shops (Starbucks is fine as well as anything local/independent), book stores, and things of that nature. I'm guessing the east side is the best place to find all of these things, so that's cool.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,448,863 times
Riverwest is kind of like South Minneapolis - a working class area that is run-down and has lots of diversity and hipsters. I say none of those things in a negative way. But coming from St. Paul it might be a little different.

The things you seem to be looking for are on the east side. You can probably find it all in Riverwest too though.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,690,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletfly View Post
I don't plan on drinking at all (history of alcoholism in the family... not something I want to deal with), but that's just the thing--will the culture in Milwaukee have anything to offer me? I know I can't trust generalizations, but it seems like Milwaukee's all about the alcohol, and many of the incoming freshman post on the Facebook page things like "I can't wait to get wasted." urgh.

Things I'm specifically looking for are vegetarian restaurants (or restaurants with notable vegetarian options), coffee shops (Starbucks is fine as well as anything local/independent), book stores, and things of that nature. I'm guessing the east side is the best place to find all of these things, so that's cool.
No worries, I just brought up the drinking because it happens on any university and thought worth mentioning. I can't really say if Milwaukee has a 'culture of drinking'... if you grow up near something it's normal... but I've heard it repeated.

Either way, there is alot for you to do and enjoy without alchohol, but it usually is present at most events. You should have no problem finding what you're looking for, especially with your dorm location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee