Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times

Advertisements

I was watching a Fox morning show here in Philly and they showed the incident at the Milwaukee State Fair and I saw two black girls laying on a white person. That attack was kind of weird looking but the same thing has been happening in Philly and the Mayor has spoken out about it and now there is a curfew for 9pm for 13 to 18 years olds in downtown philly. I heard that Milwaukee residents wants their mayor to do the same thing that our mayor did this week. Hopefully this flash mob attack mess ends. Two white guys have been hospitalized because of it and one is in a coma.

I know this started in Philly in 2008, how long has this been going on in Milwaukee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,135,541 times
Philadelphia Mayor Scolds Philadelphia Youth Mobs | News | BET

The Mayor of Philadelphia is not happy with how his city’s youth are behaving and he’s not afraid to scold them, publicly.

“You have damaged your race,” Mayor Michael A. Nutter said in a speech aimed toward Black youth involved in the recent violent “flash mobs” in the pulpit of Mount Carmel Baptist Church in West Philadelphia on Sunday. In the mobs, random groups of teens have been attacking people on the streets of the city’s tourist and fashion shopping districts.

For the past two years, Philadelphia has been the scene of several flash mobs organized by text messages sent by teens. In one instance teens knocked down passers-by and then proceeded to an upscale department store where they assaulted shoppers. In another instance hundreds of teens met and started mayhem in a restaurant district forcing some restaurant owners to close early or lock customers inside for their safety.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Philadelphia Mayor Scolds Philadelphia Youth Mobs | News | BET

The Mayor of Philadelphia is not happy with how his city’s youth are behaving and he’s not afraid to scold them, publicly.

“You have damaged your race,” Mayor Michael A. Nutter said in a speech aimed toward Black youth involved in the recent violent “flash mobs” in the pulpit of Mount Carmel Baptist Church in West Philadelphia on Sunday. In the mobs, random groups of teens have been attacking people on the streets of the city’s tourist and fashion shopping districts.

For the past two years, Philadelphia has been the scene of several flash mobs organized by text messages sent by teens. In one instance teens knocked down passers-by and then proceeded to an upscale department store where they assaulted shoppers. In another instance hundreds of teens met and started mayhem in a restaurant district forcing some restaurant owners to close early or lock customers inside for their safety.
I say good job!! I'm glad Michael Nutter called out the crooks who committed those attacks. Their actions are repugnant and those persons should be in prison. I understand his frustration with what certain Black individuals have done. I understand because I'm frustrated too. I consider those attackers to be an embarrassment.

There is a quote from the move Crash. Cameron Thayer(played by Terrence Howard) gets carjacked by a fellow African-American. After Thayer subdues the carjacker, these were his words for the carjacker: "You embarrass me, you embarrass yourself". That is how I felt when I heard about the WI State Fair incident as well.

I have a mix of optimism and pessimism about this. I am optimistic because the statement from Mayor Nutter shows that he's trying to do something about it and disapproves of the disturbing behavior. He's brave enough to call those persons out. Any pessimism I have, this is why. I understand the frustration and anger the Mayor has because I feel like sometimes I'm living with the actions of persons who commit crimes who just happen to look like me. With that said, I don't think a scolding from the Mayor of Philadelphia will have a strong impact, not now anyway. The African-American youths who committed these acts of violence in Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, Philadelphia, West Allis, Peoria, Chicago, and Denver, well, the persons who did this don't care if they have embarrassed their race. They don't care about anything. The best you can do is punish them. The Mayor has the power to get those individuals arrested, tried, and imprisoned for their actions. I don't have that power. I'm just a college student. All I can do is express my disapproval of such behavior. The African-Americans who do care are the very persons who DON'T commit such acts of violence.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,135,541 times
That's what I have been saying for years. I feel the same way when a polish immigrant or someone of polish decent does something stupid like drive his motorized cart on the freeway drunk or when someone of polish decent decides to shoot his lawn mower with a shotgun.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
That's what I have been saying for years. I feel the same way when a polish immigrant or someone of polish decent does something stupid like drive his motorized cart on the freeway drunk or when someone of polish decent decides to shoot his lawn mower with a shotgun.
Sad thing is, those who commit such acts don't care what kind of impact it has. That is why I say judge the individual by the content of his or her character. There are bad apples in every ethnicity.

It still makes me wonder. Milwaukee is my father's hometown. Part of the reason Milwaukee has sentimental values. I've listened to stories about his life in Milwaukee and in Wisconsin in general. That and my own visits to Milwaukee when I was a little boy. I've wanted to go back. I have sometimes wondered if these "flash mob attacks"(Mayfair, Riverwest, WI State Fair) will cause a heightened suspicion of me as an African-American if I were to travel to Milwaukee. I have wondered about that sometimes. I still want to travel up there, just for fun, just to see how it is now.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sad thing is, those who commit such acts don't care what kind of impact it has. That is why I say judge the individual by the content of his or her character. There are bad apples in every ethnicity.

It still makes me wonder. Milwaukee is my father's hometown. Part of the reason Milwaukee has sentimental values. I've listened to stories about his life in Milwaukee and in Wisconsin in general. That and my own visits to Milwaukee when I was a little boy. I've wanted to go back. I have sometimes wondered if these "flash mob attacks"(Mayfair, Riverwest, WI State Fair) will cause a heightened suspicion of me as an African-American if I were to travel to Milwaukee. I have wondered about that sometimes. I still want to travel up there, just for fun, just to see how it is now.

Only if you are under 19 with a hip hop style

Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Only if you are under 19 with a hip hop style
Actually, I'm 25, and I have often been described as "the Whitest Black dude" anyone has ever met. Some people have called me names like "Carlton" and "White boy". I am also an intellectual type.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I'm 25, and I have often been described as "the Whitest Black dude" anyone has ever met. Some people have called me names like "Carlton" and "White boy". I am also an intellectual type.
Well you should be fine then since you are not a TEEN

Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM

117 posts, read 368,097 times
I am glad that the Philly mayor is taking this situation seriously. There have been too many incidents like this recently. It's getting out of hand.

As for the issue of how a black person would be treated in Milwaukee, I don't think you will have any problems if you behave like a normal person who isn't trying to start problems. I do think that these recent incidents have probably harmed race relations to some extent but I think the majority of white people still understand that not all black people act like this.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
I am glad that the Philly mayor is taking this situation seriously. There have been too many incidents like this recently. It's getting out of hand.

As for the issue of how a black person would be treated in Milwaukee, I don't think you will have any problems if you behave like a normal person who isn't trying to start problems. I do think that these recent incidents have probably harmed race relations to some extent but I think the majority of white people still understand that not all black people act like this.

I would hope so if they have a TV-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee