Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM

7 posts, read 15,959 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Pretty nerves about my upcoming test. I'm 17 and finally going for road test thru milwaukee DMV.

I have some questions I though I'd ask those who've taken the test should know...

1) parallel parking -- are you actually supposed to drive around until you find 2 perfectly placed cars to PP behind? Do you just have to park behind a single car? Or do they just skip this part?

2) I read about a scoring system of 25 points. Anyone know how may "errors" it takes to fail?

3) how do they test you on y turns? Just on a random road? Or in the parking lot?

4) what are some tips to impress the instructor? What should I avoid doing? What should I focus on (what I mean is like moving my head around, ect...)

5) how long is it? Any freeway driving?

Hope to hear from you guys soon,
Jacob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Nervous! If you guys don wanna help thats ok. wish me luck at least!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Just relax. Good luck.
I didn't comment as I took my drivers test 44 years ago (since, it was with a horse & buggy I didn't think my experiences would apply. JK)

Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacobcrosby View Post
Hey all. Pretty nerves about my upcoming test. I'm 17 and finally going for road test thru milwaukee DMV.

I have some questions I though I'd ask those who've taken the test should know...

1) parallel parking -- are you actually supposed to drive around until you find 2 perfectly placed cars to PP behind? Do you just have to park behind a single car? Or do they just skip this part?

2) I read about a scoring system of 25 points. Anyone know how may "errors" it takes to fail?

3) how do they test you on y turns? Just on a random road? Or in the parking lot?

4) what are some tips to impress the instructor? What should I avoid doing? What should I focus on (what I mean is like moving my head around, ect...)

5) how long is it? Any freeway driving?

Hope to hear from you guys soon,
Jacob
From what I recall from my children's tests.
1. I don't think that they tested this
2. You can make several (maybe even, many) minor errors but anything major (cutting off a car, not stopping at a stop sign, excessive speeding, etc) will be an automatic fail and the test will stop right then.
3. If they test this I think it is on a road.
4. Just be confident. Put seat belt on, check your mirrors, turn around to check the parking lot before you back out. Just over-all alertness is important. Turn off radio & phone before you go into the office so you aren't destracted by them.
5. I think 15-20 minutes but don't worry if it goes longer the examiner might want to double check some things if you are borderline.
6. I don't think my kids had actual freeway driving but there were some major roads near their testing site.

You best bet is to call a few friends or relatives who took the test recently. IGNORE all of their horror stories.

Again, Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM

lol thanks Germain for that it was helpful. Still kinda jumpy but I don't think any thing will go wrong. even f I do pass i don't have a auto so it is not too big of a deal. Just using my dads car for this

Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM

Be sure to let us know what happens after the test.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
The road test go by really quick, all you have do to is be calm.
Do mirror checks every once and awhile. both hands on the wheel. and sit up straight and you'll be fine

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Be sure to let us know what happens after the test.
Can barely sleep... I will report back later today or tomorrow

Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Did not pass... whatever.... :S

Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Sorry to hear that.

When I took my driving test (way back in horse & buggy days -LOL) almost everyone failed the first time so don't take it too hard. I think about 85% to 90% failed first try. I think it was to help teens from being too cocky about passing right away so that they were more serious the next time.

Just do extra practicing (especially in your weak areas) and sign up for the next test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee