Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM

88 posts, read 687,979 times

Advertisements

Hi all, this is my first winter and I just received a notice that says "effective immediately you must move your vehicle from the parking lot between 9am and 11am if it snows more than 2 inches or you will be ticketed and towed."

First off, is this standard around here? I did not see anything in the lease or original parking agreement I made when I added the parking spaces to my lease about this. Can they just say this now and expect me to be bound by it?

My issue with it is that my wife is out of town for awhile and I work longs days most of the time AND there are all kinds of parking restrictions in the neighborhood. What exactly am I supposed to do with my wife's car if I'm at work...

2nd red flag: 2 inches according to who? Obviously the snow plow company has a financial interest to say "oh yeah, that's 2 inches all right." and the towing company they call isn't going to argue because they know they can hold my car hostage until I pay up.

Do I have to agree to this if I didn't agree to it in my lease?

Can I do anything to prevent them from towing my car?

Can I do anything to contest the charges after the fact?

And who exactly is going to ticket me? Do the police really write tickets for parking violations on private property???

Thank you all in advance for you responses. You all were a great help when we were first planning our move here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,448,516 times
Is it a private off-street lot you're renting a space in?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM

26 posts, read 42,389 times
Move. Screw the city. Find a place with a driveway!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:25 PM

711 posts, read 1,690,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker's mom 2011 View Post
Move. Screw the city. Find a place with a driveway!
Except his place already has a driveway & he pays for parking. I guess we know where your bias lay.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,729 times
This sounds like something to take up with the management company / landlord. I can tell you that I've never had to deal with such provisions when I lived in complexes with on site outdoor parking. They just asked that you move your car if it was possible so they could clear the entire lot. As far as tickets go, the cops will only write tickets on private property if you are parking somewhere you are not authorized to be - ie: someone elses lot or space. If your landlord hires out parking enforcement, they'll be the ones doing the towing and fining. I'm not a lawyer, but I would say that if these rules are not stated in the agreement you signed (or a blanket statement saying you'll comply with all of their rules) and you are parking where you should be, they'll have a tough time enforcing them and/or fining you. All of this would seem to fall under non-standard rental provisions, which must be negotiated, stated in writing, and agreed to by you. In any event, I would talk to the management company and tell them your situation. You are paying for a spot and should be able to use it for your convenience. Hope this helps!

Last edited by brian571; 12-27-2012 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
I have lived in the city my whole life and never had a problem reading no parking signs and I have never had my car towed, in Milwaukee. Chicago now that's a city where you don't mess around they will tow your car in seconds!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Except his place already has a driveway & he pays for parking. I guess we know where your bias lay.
He pays for parking but has a driveway? How can I not be biased? That's ridiculous.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 AM

I guess I just don't understand why someone would pay for parking but has a driveway? He hasn't exactly given the greatest detail about his situation i.e. has more than 1 car so he has to pay for an extra spot. That's all I'm saying. To me, paying to park MY car that I already pay for (payments/insurance) and paying rent...that's ridiculous. I've lived in many cities and Milwaukee has been the only one where they tell you that you have to pay for parking when renting your residence. Not even Las Vegas does that kind of shiesty handiwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee