Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollywannacracker View Post
I am new to Milwaukee and notice a theme whenever someone poses a question about places to live. The same places get mentioned over and over and over again, perhaps it is just the same couple people answering over and over and over, I am not to sure. Anyway how come no one ever talks about Bay View, St. Francis, Cudahy, South Milwakee, Oak Creek, and Caledonia. These places are SO affordable compared to other parts of the city and quite safe. Is there some kind of weird stigma with these parts of the city? I know if money wasn't an object we would live up in the north shore area, but money is tight, so we had to be realistic.
You know why people don't mention those places? Because who would want to live there?? South side people are typically considered trashy, they have extremely conservative views, are intolerant, judgemental & just not very appealing. Sorry, that's the truth folks. But if you've got a mullet, hey, that's your place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You know why people don't mention those places? Because who would want to live there?? South side people are typically considered trashy, they have extremely conservative views, are intolerant, judgemental & just not very appealing. Sorry, that's the truth folks. But if you've got a mullet, hey, that's your place!
Gee, with a post like this, I wonder who is being "intolerant & judgmental"? Yeesh.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Gee, with a post like this, I wonder who is being "intolerant & judgmental"? Yeesh.
Sorry, I went overboard. I myself am not intolerant, I'm just relaying others opinions of that area.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Oak Creek and Franklin are trashy? Have you actually been there? I'd feel a lot safer in Oak Creek or Franklin than I would in Brown Deer or most of Shorewood.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollywannacracker View Post
I am new to Milwaukee and notice a theme whenever someone poses a question about places to live. The same places get mentioned over and over and over again, perhaps it is just the same couple people answering over and over and over, I am not to sure. Anyway how come no one ever talks about Bay View, St. Francis, Cudahy, South Milwakee, Oak Creek, and Caledonia. These places are SO affordable compared to other parts of the city and quite safe. Is there some kind of weird stigma with these parts of the city? I know if money wasn't an object we would live up in the north shore area, but money is tight, so we had to be realistic.
The near southeast suburbs with lake frontage are strangely slow in going the upscale route. You'd think that they'd be the hottest areas in town. There must be something keeping them from being turned into the next East Side. It must be the stigma, and to a large extent, the stigma is true. They're working-class burbs and everyone associates them with that. They are more affordable. Cudahy, South Milwaukee, and Oak Creek are great for some people.

I'm just not one of those people.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Oak Creek and Franklin are trashy? Have you actually been there? I'd feel a lot safer in Oak Creek or Franklin than I would in Brown Deer or most of Shorewood.
Yeah, I have, why would I make statements if I haven't actually been to these places or seen the people??

Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
I just asked, didn't accuse you of not being there. I'm just wondering why you think they are trashy. You never said why. Some of the houses in Oak Creek and Franklin are HUGE. They are a lot bigger than those in Brown Deer, and much of Shorewood. I know that many people that live in Oak Creek and Franklin make well over 100k.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 PM

438 posts, read 1,731,088 times
I grew up in Bay View and now live in Caledonia. I find this thread amusing for the most part. We left Bay View area because the gang graffiti there and in Cudahy was rapidly increasing. Bay View is going through a revitalization phase but parts are still a little scary looking. Cudahy still has a lot of work to do.

South Milwaukee downtown area isn't exciting but the schools are good and the neighborhoods are safe.

Oak Creek is growing rapidly. For those who like that sort of thing, there are many more shopping places and cafes. There are a lot of new subdivisions and the people living in them are not white trash in any way. My daughter goes to parochial school in Oak Creek (Racine public schools are horrible). Among the parents I know from Oak Creek there are mostly white collar mid-to upper-level management types.

As for the Village of Caledonia, there are many equestrian estates being built and I don't think any of the newer subdivisions have homes for less than $250k. The last figures I saw for Caledonia showed the median household income somewhere around $70000 (I don't remember the exact figure). My neighbors are mostly doctors, teachers, etc.

If you want privacy and larger yards then Oak Creek, Franklin and Caledonia still have the properties to provide that without the rush hour traffic problems that are encountered trying to drive north or west of downtown Milw. You're also close enough to downtown Milwaukee for attending operas, plays, concerts, sporting events, etc.

I personally would never move back to the City of Milwaukee - SE or other. I like having more than a thin walkway separating my house from my neighbors and not having the noise and bustle of the city right on my doorstep.

I don't feel as though the SE side is looked down on. I also don't feel an area that's considered the 'flavor of the month' or the 'hip, trendy' area as someplace I want to raise my child. I'm more concerned with quality of schools, access to medical care, safety of the neighborhood, and living by neighbors that are kind and thoughtful. If that's 'white trash' thinking, well then, consider me 'white trash'.

Dea

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM

151 posts, read 705,451 times
karfar,

Just to make an observation here...you say this " Sorry, I went overboard. I myself am not intolerant, I'm just relaying others opinions of that area."

and then you reply to ffknight918's post of
"Oak Creek and Franklin are trashy? Have you actually been there? I'd feel a lot safer in Oak Creek or Franklin than I would in Brown Deer or most of Shorewood" by saying this,

"Yeah, I have, why would I make statements if I haven't actually been to these places or seen the people??

Contradicting statements, wouldn't you say?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM

196 posts, read 969,738 times
I just spent a day in Cudahy and fell in love with the town. I am so excited I think the town can be a flower ready to blossom. ZI am looking at work there and I hope I end up there and they see how much I can do for the community!
They need an image builder...cos this site has been way to rough on them.
I know towns in other areas of Wisconsin, Illinois and Southern Illinois that make Cudahy look like heaven. It's clean, it is close to so much including being right on Lake Michigan...it just does not get any better than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee