Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,488 times

Advertisements

Me (native Texan, born in Houston) and my boyfriend (originally from Milwaukee) are moving to Milwaukee this summer. He's in the wine business and I'm an editor with experience in desktop publishing. We have no children and would like to live close to the city center--near groovy restaurants, coffeeshops, parks, bicycle trails, and a library. I'll sheepishly admit that we are a couple of middle-aged hipsters (seasoned with time). We are both musicians. Walker's Point looks pretty good to me. I even speak Spanish fairly well. How safe is Walker's Point, and the area west of Walker's Point? The real estate prices seem too good to be true. I'd rather be closer to Bayview, of course, but it's not as cheap.

Also, any other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Me (native Texan, born in Houston) and my boyfriend (originally from Milwaukee) are moving to Milwaukee this summer. He's in the wine business and I'm an editor with experience in desktop publishing. We have no children and would like to live close to the city center--near groovy restaurants, coffeeshops, parks, bicycle trails, and a library. I'll sheepishly admit that we are a couple of middle-aged hipsters (seasoned with time). We are both musicians. Walker's Point looks pretty good to me. I even speak Spanish fairly well. How safe is Walker's Point, and the area west of Walker's Point? The real estate prices seem too good to be true. I'd rather be closer to Bayview, of course, but it's not as cheap.

Also, any other areas?
Riverwest has lots of artists & musicians. There are pockets of Riverwest that have crime but it's not as horrid as people may make it out to seem.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,963 times
a) Welcome. Summer is best time to move into Milwaukee! You'll love it here
b) Walkers Point is a place with many bars, and many party goers. If you're fine with it, it's very good place in my opinion, very safe. I never felt threatened there
c) I lived in West Allis and while it has some bad reputation, it's a fine place if you ask my opinion. Live and let other people live kind of attitude. Not sure about areas in between though. West Milwaukee has some bad rep, but not as bad as northern parts of Milwaukee. I had a friend living in Brewer's Hill area, they were fine there. Third Ward might be another "cool" area with condos converted from factory buildings, but I heard they are fairly pricey.

d) I wouldn't argue about Riverwest, but recently saw a video of their New Year celebration tradition, when lots of folks fire pistols (and a few shotguns) into the air right in the streets ... While I'm very pro-gun, I'm not sure how would I feel about people shooting firearms around me.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Riverwest has lots of artists & musicians. There are pockets of Riverwest that have crime but it's not as horrid as people may make it out to seem.
Thanks. Riverwest looks like a great spot, but more expensive than Walker's Point and surrounding area. I will add it to my real estate alerts.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
b) Walkers Point is a place with many bars, and many party goers. If you're fine with it, it's very good place in my opinion, very safe. I never felt threatened there
c) I lived in West Allis and while it has some bad reputation, it's a fine place if you ask my opinion. Live and let other people live kind of attitude. Not sure about areas in between though. West Milwaukee has some bad rep, but not as bad as northern parts of Milwaukee. I had a friend living in Brewer's Hill area, they were fine there. Third Ward might be another "cool" area with condos converted from factory buildings, but I heard they are fairly pricey.

d) I wouldn't argue about Riverwest, but recently saw a video of their New Year celebration tradition, when lots of folks fire pistols (and a few shotguns) into the air right in the streets ... While I'm very pro-gun, I'm not sure how would I feel about people shooting firearms around me.
Thank you for the input.

West Allis seems too suburban to me.
Third Ward is way too pricey.

What about areas just slightly south of Walker's Point and areas just slightly west of Walker's Point?
There are some amazing bargains in there.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:50 PM

How about Lincoln Village? It seems very under-valued.

We live in Austin now. The housing market is insane.

Austin
median household income: $52,431
income per capita: $31,387
average price for a single-family home: $347,292

Milwaukee
median household income: $36,000*
income per capita: $30,206
average price for a single-family home: $130,037

Last edited by AguaDulce; 01-08-2016 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,963 times
If price is low, there's a reason for it

Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
If price is low, there's a reason for it
As you can see from the stats I provided, it's all relative.

To me, a house that costs under $150,000 is cheap.

Is Lincoln Village cheap because of crime?

Old 01-08-2016, 05:20 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:

Shooting off firearms on New Years Eve happens everywhere, it's nothing new.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shooting off firearms on New Years Eve happens everywhere, it's nothing new.
Hell, I might even have to shoot off my own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee