Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 35,087 times

Advertisements

I am a recent undergrad from the university of florida (go gators!) that may be moving to milwaukee. I've been given an excellent job opportunity but have heard I wouldn't make it in Milwaukee. Being from Florida, I've seen snow once in my life and never been in weather colder than 20 degrees.

If I might be able to stand the cold, where in Milwaukee should a young, recent college graduate move with her boyfriend? What areas are affordable and near the hustle and bustle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Milwaukee is unbelievably cold...no doubt about that. But since you've never lived in a proper winter climate, it may be a life experience for you!

The East Side--between North Ave and Downtown, East of the Milwaukee river--would probably be the most ideal place for you. The neighborhood is very hip and is pretty affordable compared to other trendy neighborhoods in other cities. Some other attactive aspects of the neighborhood:
  • very walkable
  • a lot of Milwaukee's live-music scene is concentrated there
  • great nightlife
  • awesome views of Lake Michigan and easy access to the beach
  • near Downtown and other attractions
  • great offering of hip boutiques, restaurants, and bars that could rival any other major urban area

To me, the East Side is one of the best kept secrets in the country and if I still lived in Milwaukee, that's where I'd be. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,793 times
There is a gator club here in Milwaukee. A friend of my husband's moved here from Florida and meets up with the group to watch games.

If I were you I would definately live downtown or just north of the city. As for the cold, you could think of it as an adventure Just buy a warm coat, glove and a hat.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,996 times
Dress in layers.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Do a search on here for previous threads regarding your interests, needs, etc...

Downtown, East Side, Third Ward, Brewer's Hill, etc...you will do fine.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 12,317 times
There are lots of great neighborhoods in Milwaukee. The east side is great. Full of college kids and upper class trendy individuals. I would also recommend Bayview, which is just south of downtown. Bayview is a little quieter, more diverse than Eastside but also has some of the same great amenities. It is slightly cheaper and easier to drive around due to less traffic. The east side is trendy and Bayview is a bit more artsy and alternative. It is whatever suits your tastes!
You can adjust to the cold. There are usually only a few weeks per year that are intolerably cold.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM

151 posts, read 705,366 times
I lived in the Milwaukee area for 27 years until our recent move to Reno. I definitely miss the area, and I agree with all of the other posters. One aspect you have forgotten to mention to jent, however, is the lack of sunlight compared to FL, not just the cooler (OK COLDER) overall climate. You can go for a week or two there without seeing much sun and dark clouds and/or fog encompassing the area, especially in the spring. Keep that in mind and good luck with your decision! You would definitely like the people you'd meet in Milwaukee!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,996 times
There are a lot great places to live in Milwaukee. If you're young and looking to rent, the East Side is a great area. This has long been the "hip, happening, trendy" part of Milwaukee. Back in my younger days I lived over there and I loved it back then. I didn't need a car, walked everywhere. Lots of things to do, places to eat, hang out. It's only gotten better (and pricier) since then.

The East Side is a fairly large area. It runs from Downtown all the way up to Shorewood. Very dense. When you're on the East Side you definitely feel that you might be in a "big city."

Bay View is another cool area. Back when I was growing up, this was a blue collar neighborhood of seedy taverns, bowling alleys, and modest houses. Now it's a "hip, happening, trendy" area of great restaurants, cool bars, bowling alleys, and modest houses.

As for the weather: you'd be amazed how adaptable the human body can be. Your first winter is going to be a shock, no doubt. Bundle up, dress and layers. Learn how to drive on snow and ice. The darkness is a drag. But make sure over the winter months to get out and about, no matter how cold it is. Go for a walk in the snow. Take up cross country skiiing. Go sledding or snowboarding. Whatever you do, don't just sit around the house holed up inside all winter. That's how people get the winter "blahs."

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 35,087 times
Default thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone! When I'm up there on my interview I will look into the east side, downtown, etc. Its so nice everyone is so helpful

Thanks again

Old 01-15-2008, 06:01 AM

32 posts, read 104,011 times
Hi everyone. I'm from NYC and was thinking about moving to Milwarkee as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee