Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 PM

12 posts, read 45,749 times

Advertisements

I'm sooooo confused! Please help me understand this more clearly. I read some wonderful things about Wauwatosa, but it seems that the "bad" part is on the east side, closest to the Milwaukee "city limits". From my understanding from the Google map, that is EXACTLY where Washington Highlands is. They have some BEAUTIFUL homes, but I'm single & don't want to live in an area that isn't safe. What is the immediate surrounding area like - just outside the boundaries of Washington Highlands? Where I live now, there is a beautiful area like W.H., but it's very scary to drive through the surrounding area necessary just to get there.

Is it stable? Are people leaving in droves or is it a place "everyone" wants to live? Preserving the value of my home investment is important to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone else!

Please tell me HONESTLY - "warts & all" - about the safety (and ANY other aspects - such as community spirit, friendliness, etc.!) of Washington Highlands.

I really appreciate it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have loved it from afar View Post
I'm sooooo confused! Please help me understand this more clearly. I read some wonderful things about Wauwatosa, but it seems that the "bad" part is on the east side, closest to the Milwaukee "city limits".
I wouldn't say that there are immense "bad parts" of Wauwatosa...overall, 95% of Wauwatosa is very nice, and the other 5% isn't "bad", it is just a little close to some so-so areas of Milwaukee.

When I was house hunting through Wauwatosa in July of this year, the more unattractive areas of Wauwatosa to buy a home in (again, this was just my opinion and observation of course) were a) the far eastern areas but also those more NORTH-eastern (eg: more down around North Ave., Center St., etc.), b) the areas sort of around 75th and Center, and c) the areas around 100th St. and Hampton Ave. / Capitol Dr.

Having said that, unfortunately, the Washington Highlands area is around my point letter a.

Quote:
They have some BEAUTIFUL homes, but I'm single & don't want to live in an area that isn't safe.
First off, yes, you are right, they do have some beautiful homes there. Secondly, I wouldn't say that the W.H. isn't safe though. I would believe that overall the neighborhood is quite safe (similar to the Washington Heights area in the city of Milwaukee); I don't have a crime stats map in front of me, however, overall I wouldn't hesitate for a second to live there (with a wife and young children) and there is alot of affluence in that neighborhood...overall a very safe neighborhood.

Quote:
What is the immediate surrounding area like - just outside the boundaries of Washington Highlands? Where I live now, there is a beautiful area like W.H., but it's very scary to drive through the surrounding area necessary just to get there.
I wouldn't say the surrounding areas to the Washington Highlands are "very scary"...I would say that would be overly strong.

However, I am not going to sugar coat it either. There are some very so-so areas in the surrounding areas to the Washington Highlands. This is a common complaint I hear from folks here that live in Milwaukee's Washington Heights neighborhood too...very nice neighborhood, very nice homes, quite safe, etc., however, you have to drive through some crummier areas to "get home".

I think that just would be what it would be, and folks considering buying in the area would have to take that into consideration when deciding on whether to buy a home in a place like the Highlands or Heights. I think if you were coming from the south into the Highlands, overall you wouldn't go through even a very shaky spot. However, if you were coming in from the north or northeast, yes, you'd pass through some more mediocre areas.

Personally, I don't know if I would let that deter me from buying in the area (if I could afford it! ). However, it might be a consideration for others. If you want an older area with some real charm and uniqueness that is close to an urban environment, this would fit the bill. However, if you are looking for just a beautiful place away from crime and urban-ness, there are other areas that are surrounded for miles of low crime areas.

Quote:
Is it stable? Are people leaving in droves or is it a place "everyone" wants to live? Preserving the value of my home investment is important to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone else!
Well, I don't live there in that neighborhood nor have I ever, so hopefully someone whose lived there will be able to chime in (or a realtor looking out for your best interests could be a good source of info), but I would say:

-Yes, it is stable.
-I wouldn't say by any means people are "leaving in droves" (again, the surrounding areas aren't terrifyingly scary by any means) but I would also say that it would be inaccurate to say it is a place "everyone" wants to live.

Again, I would compare it in some respects here to the Washington Heights in Milwaukee. It is stable and quite nice, but it is neither the "sexy" or trendy place for people to want to get into, nor is it a sinking ship where people are trying to bail out.

Quote:
Please tell me HONESTLY - "warts & all" - about the safety (and ANY other aspects - such as community spirit, friendliness, etc.!) of Washington Highlands.

For community spirit, friendliness, etc., I don't think I am qualified to answer. You may want to see: The Washington Homes Association which seems to be a good resource.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
I'm sooooo confused! Please help me understand this more clearly. I read some wonderful things about Wauwatosa, but it seems that the "bad" part is on the east side, closest to the Milwaukee "city limits". From my understanding from the Google map, that is EXACTLY where Washington Highlands is. They have some BEAUTIFUL homes, but I'm single & don't want to live in an area that isn't safe. What is the immediate surrounding area like - just outside the boundaries of Washington Highlands? Where I live now, there is a beautiful area like W.H., but it's very scary to drive through the surrounding area necessary just to get there.

Washington Highlands is nice, and has been ever since I can remember. The Highlands are special because of the hills and the winding streets, not to mention the homes that have all of the high quality construction and features that were available then. I have friends that own two homes in the immediate area (one around the corner) from the boundaries of Washington Highlands, and they insist that there are no problems in the neighborhood. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but they've never indicated any major problems.

The Wauwatosa police are vigilant... that's good for residents, bad for ill-mannered non residents (read: those with criminal intent). Of course racial holy wars have been fought over this, but what it is, is residents who are concerned about--and demand something is done about--crime. Since Wauwatosa shares borders with some marginal areas, people have a good reason for concern.

Wauwatosa has a nice buffer zone in some areas (Washington Heights), plus shares borders with Brookfield and West Allis, so those areas are not as close to the high crime zones. People are clearly not leaving in droves. Wauwatosa is generally pretty stable and IMO, one of the less-likely "flight" areas.

If you're looking for homes of similar size and from a similar age, check out Shorewood or Whitefish Bay. Shorewood would be a good single-person residence (lived there), or adjacent areas on the upper east side.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,599 times
For the life of me I will never understand why anyone would have the idea that Washington Heights (the City neighborhood immediately adjacent to the Highlands) would be "bad." Free your mind, turn off the TV, take a walk around the Heights and the Highlands, and, unless you suffer from some kind of psycological condition that involves severe bouts of paranoia, you will see that this is a perfectly safe, sane, clean area to be in. Your idea that the "city limits" of Milwaukee cleanly divides the "good" and the "bad" as clearly as night and day is warped and not based on reality.

Go to the Highlands and see for yourself. But if you want to buy there, you'd better have the scratch. Houses there sell upwards into the millions. I guess the well-heeled haven't gotten the memo that they reside mere blocks from "the line." Give me a freakin' break.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:32 AM

12 posts, read 45,749 times
Default Wauwatosa & Washington Highlands

Thank you all for writing ! I appreciate your time, efforts & insight.

Milwaukee Ronnie - I do not live anywhere near Milwaukee or else I'd be there in a heartbeat to check it out myself. What I wrote is based on HOURS of research on the internet - that's why I asked these questions of "natives" - to see how accurate the other statements are about this area. I consistently saw references to "do not live in the east side of Wauwatosa", "live west of 76th street", etc. Exactly where Washington Highlands is & yes, it's pricey, so I don't want to invest only to see that investment slowly go down the drain due to the surrounding area.

I currently live in a huge city in Texas & know what I do not want to repeat in a move to another city - hence asking this "board" for the truth.

Thank you all and I'd love to hear from someone who actually lives in Washington Highlands (unfortunately, their website doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year as to their Board members, activities, etc.) Not the best sign for an involved homeowners group, although I know they are volunteers and everyone is busy these days!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I currently live in a huge city in Texas & know what I do not want to repeat in a move to another city - hence asking this "board" for the truth.
Well, I guess it depends on what you consider "truth." Is it true that anything in 'Tosa east of 76th Street is on the decline? Hell no! But to someone living in Elm Grove, a few more miles removed from the supopsed "bogeyman" that is the City of Milwaukee, it might appear to be the case. Consider the source.

What you'll find here in Milwaukee is a good deal of city vs. suburb animosity. Those who live in the suburbs think that everyone who lives in the city "has no choice" but to live there or is "trash." Those of us who choose to live in the city value the sense of community, the "bang for your buck" you can get in housing, the ability to walk places or take public transit, and the lively character of our neighborhoods. When we hear our suburban brethern suggest that "we're crazy" for choosing the city over their supposed "superior" lifestyle in the suburbs, we shake our heads, chuckle, and extend our middle finger.

In a few years, when $5 gasoline seems like a bargain, the fact I drive shorter distances, and have access to public transit and the ability to walk to the store, will make my choice to live in the city seem a little less "crazy" to my suburban friends.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM

Hi again -

I know I am not MKE Ronnie, but I thought I would provide a bit more input into a few of the questions you are asking / pointing out here:

Quote:
I consistently saw references to "do not live in the east side of Wauwatosa", "live west of 76th street", etc. Exactly where Washington Highlands is & yes, it's pricey, so I don't want to invest only to see that investment slowly go down the drain due to the surrounding area.
I see exactly why you are being prudent in asking your questions, and from afar, what else can you do?

I guess I don't see this quite in the harsh day-and-night contrasts that Ronnie does...just a different take I have.

I think that for locals here (and you, as an outsider, would obviously have no way of knowing this), there is indeed kind of an animosity between the city of Milwaukee itself and the suburbs, but more than anything, I think there is a real perception among many suburbanites (without intended animosity, they just frankly don't know any better) that Milwaukee is largely dangerous and to be avoided.

I know when I returned to the metro area in July of this past year, this was largely the perception passed along to me, and I didn't even really consider buying a home / living in Milwaukee itself - I just thought that other than the very expensive East Side / Downtown / Third Ward corridors (well priced out of my budget), that the rest of Milwaukee was to be largely avoided. I was wrong. And now, I wish I would've considered portions of Milwaukee to buy / live in, as now that I am seeing them fairly regularly, I can see just how nice they are and why they'd be desirable to live in.

So anyway, I think that is why some might be a bit easily ruffled at the notion of staying away completely from Milwaukee. I realize that wasn't where YOU were coming from totally, but more am just trying to explain why some Milwaukeeans, with alot of pride in the city (for good reason) are a little put off if they feel people are preaching to stay away completely from city lines (again, realizing that wasn't where you were coming from).

Anyway, now to address this concern:

It is easier to speak in generalities, and thus, I think that is why people would say "stay away from east Wauwatosa" in such blankets. I understand why people would make statements like this:

In July, I was house-hunting. Saw a pretty decent house (in my price range) in "Wauwatosa", so I went with my realtor to look at it. However, it turned out that it was in the 75th and Center area (Center is an east-west fairly major street in between Burleigh Ave. and North Ave.). Frankly, while this area surely isn't the pitts by any means or isn't a terrifying area, for the price tag of Wauwatosa (and in comparison to the overwhelming majority of areas in the generally safe/middle-to-upper-middle class Tosa) it just wouldn't be an area I would jump to buy in. Just bordered by some so-so-at-best, mediocre areas of Milwaukee, and yes, with 2 young children, things like crime concerns (and property values) would've been a real issue for me.

There are other similar eastern edge areas of Wauwatosa where my concerns would be comparable. It isn't like they border slums of Milwaukee or war zones by any means, however, if you are buying a home in Wauwatosa (or in a nice Milwaukee community like the Washington Heights for that matter), you have particular expectations in terms of crime and property values, etc., and that is only natural. It is why no one on this board is jumping to move to 25th and Center St. or 5th and North Ave.

So I think this is why you have found what you've found. However, those blanket statements that you've found haven't been totally fair and given the full story either (again, not that you would know that from 1500+ miles away). For instance, if you head south a mile or two to Wisconsin Ave. / Bluemound Rd., then those "border areas" of east Wauwatosa are absolutely great. Similar to the eastern area of Tosa around State St. And surely the Washington Highlands (Tosa) / Washington Heights (Milwaukee) applies as well.

The Washington Heights in Milwaukee is very, very nice. Quite safe and kept after. However, it is true that if you are driving to / from your house, depending upon where you are going, sure, there are some so-so areas of Milwaukee in the vicinity. The same would be true for the Highlands since the Highlands are next to the Heights. However, I wouldn't be overtly concerned about people flocking out any time soon, or lowering property values or great jolts up in crime. These are old, established, very well taken care of areas and these trends will not change any time soon.

So the Heights / Highlands...they aren't changing any time soon. They are very nice, and in some respects, a very underrated portion of the inner-ring city/metro. Safe, quiet, family-oriented, great houses, great architecture, and middle to middle upper class to affluent.

But there are some areas within a few mile radius that are so-so. Not a war zone. Not overtly crazy or dangerous. But so-so. So if you live in one of these areas, yes, you'll likely once and a while have to drive through some of these so-so areas. Not that there is anything wrong with that...it just is what it is.

Quote:
Thank you all and I'd love to hear from someone who actually lives in Washington Highlands (unfortunately, their website doesn't seem to have been updated in over a year as to their Board members, activities, etc.) Not the best sign for an involved homeowners group, although I know they are volunteers and everyone is busy these days!
Hopefully you will hear from someone from the Highlands here. I wouldn't hold my breath though unfortunately, as the Highlands are kind of a small area relatively speaking, and it seems like in these forums there are only 10 or so "regular" posters and none have professed to be from the Highlands. But maybe a newer or much less frequent poster from the Highlands can speak up.

As for the Highlands homeowners group, you might also look into sites/info for the Washington Heights, which is again kind of like the "sister" area in Milwaukee. They would have very relevant info I would imagine.

Good luck to you! I will put it this way, my budget wouldn't have allowed me to buy in the Highlands, but I ended up buying in one of the nicest suburbs (in my opinion! ) of metro Milwaukee - Greendale - and would in a heartbeat have taken the Heights or the Highlands instead...I just love the unique, aged architecture in the area and its proximity to urban-ness but still very nice and safe.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM

EnjoyEP:

I hold no grudge against those who choose to live in the suburbs. I repect people's decision to live where they want. All I ask for in return is the same respect. I have made the concious decision to live in, and raise my family in the city, not because I'm a "bad parent" but because I feel that city life holds great rewards, including for kids. I'm not interested in suburban living, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to feel the same way I do about it.

City life with kids is all about finding that "sweet spot." A safe, clean neighborhood with a strong sense of neighborhood community, diversity in incomes and points of view, nice parks, a good school closeby.

For me, that "sweet spot" exists on the west side of Milwaukee. It does not exist in any suburb, as far as I can tell.

So when someone comes along and judges my "sweet spot" as being somehow "bad" because a. it's marginally closer to legitimately bad places than the suburb down the street, or b. it has a Milwaukee address and we all know it's "true" that Milwaukee is inherently bad, then, yes I take offense and lift my middle finger.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 AM

I hear ya Ronnie.

I almost fully 100% agree with you too. There are so many portions of Milwaukee that I have re-learned about since July that are so decent and nice.

My brother-in-law and his wife bought a house not terribly long ago in the Lenox Heights neighborhood and it is nice enough in a decent, middle class area. Being down in Greendale, I see neighborhoods along Oklahoma Ave. (not just the Bay View area either) or Layton Ave. that I would live in in a second. Also of course the Washington Heights area, portions around Miller Park, many portions up on Good Hope, etc., the list goes on. I am certain that there are other great areas of Milwaukee that I haven't even re-discovered yet.

So I am with you.

I do think though that like this poster who isn't familiar with Milwaukee, isn't from here, and is just researching the area from afar, she/he wasn't trying to slight the city or living in it, and can only take info she's given, so I don't think she is deserving of the ol' finger! I think she's / he's just researching, and that is tough to do from so far away.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 11,561 times
My husband and I are relocating to Milwaukee...and just had our offer accepted on a house in Wauwatosa....Wells Street actually We loved the area when we drove through it! It isn't too far from the $300-$400,000 homes....we felt very safe there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee