Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be relocating to Milwaukee as I will be attending grad school at UWM. We're originally from back east (me from Pennsylvania and she from Ohio) but have been living in Los Angeles for the past 5 years. So I'm not unfimilar with cold weather, but I do think I'll be in for a real shock! Especially moving there in December. But at the same time I'm really excited about living in a new city. I'm more then over the sprawl and traffic on LA. I'm looking forward to nicer people, more beer and hopefully more of a "community feel", all of which Los Angeles has none.

I know there is a lot of stuff on here about neighborhoods but if someone could just suggest some places that would be convenient and cool, that would be great. My wife doesn't have a job yet so not sure where she'll be commuting to (are most of the jobs found downtown?) and I'll of course be at UWM. I'd like to live somewhere where I can walk to lots of amenities. Particularly grocery, food, bars and a coffee shop. I also have a dog so somewhere that has decent streets for night time walking.

We are going to try to go car free for a while and see if we can make it work. How is public transportation in Milwaukee? Do a lot of people use it and is it reliable? What are some good neighborhoods that have good access to the system and to UWM?

What should I know before I move out there? Specific places/things to do/ avoid? What is living in Milwaukee like?

One more thing. Are there any good Milwaukee specific blogs? I'm sure there must be but the only thing I've found that has been worthwhile has been urbanmilwaukee.com. Which is great for me because I'll be studying urban planning but I'd like to read some more about the city. I'm coming from a really "blogy" city where every neighborhood pretty much has a blog. So if there aren't too many, maybe I'll have to start my own!

Thanks for the help everyone. I am really looking forward to my move (as I was writing this I actually reserved a moving truck) and can't wait to meet Milwaukee!

Last edited by manmademound; 10-28-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
The upper east side of Milwaukee or Shorewood sounds what your looking for. Anywhere around Downer Ave or the area around St.Mary's Hospital would fit what your looking for. I believe you could find a home within walking distance of UWM. Also, the public transportation is good with many buses which run on a regular basis. The 15 or 30 buses will take you all up and down the east side to downtown or the North Shore. These are excellent neighborhoods if you enjoy walking to shops, restaurants or whatever. Also, the parks in the area are great. It's a great area and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for the information. I think that will really help me. It seems (at least distance wise) the east side would be the most logical choice for me. I'll definitely look closer at Downer street.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM

30 posts, read 95,208 times
Allan gave you spot-on information. I think you will love the area!

Good luck! And enjoy Milwaukee - be sure to go tour Sprecher Brewery! It's my favorite!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I live part of the year (the warm part) in the Murray Hill neighborhood, part of the Upper East Side.

Judging from your requirements, the Upper East Side is definitely the place for you. There are a variety of flats and apartments available. Dogs depend on the property owner, which of course you know. There are tons of dogs in the neighborhood. I really like the area around Newberry Blvd. Dogs galore, beautiful homes, and if you live in this area, you can walk to UWM, North Avenue, Downer Avenue, Oakland Avenue, Lake Michigan, Riverside Park... everywhere. Farther if you like to ride bikes. Downer Avenue south of Park, is really nice, has a great neighborhood grocery, several places to eat and drink, Starbucks, and some shops.

There are other grocery, pharmacy, bar, restaurant, and shopping opportunities on Oakland Avenue, North Avenue, Downer, Prospect, and a few other streets. North Avenue and the neighboring streets have a pile of eating and drinking possibilities, plus a really nice Whole Foods location. I consider these "walkable" (even in winter) from Locust St, south.

Although it is an urban residential area with many undergraduate students (it can get noisy at times) the area is definitely unbeatable in terms of the amenities available within walking distance. You would not need a car in this neighborhood, if you or your wife didn't have to commute to a suburb. Getting around the city using public transportation is possible. There are some ZipCars around, or you can always get a traditional rental car if you need one for a short period. During warmer months, cycling is a great option, and there is good access from the Upper East Side, to downtown via the Oak Leaf Trail. The Oak Leaf Trail has NO intersections with vehicular traffic, between Shorewood and downtown Milwaukee, so it's great for bicycle commuters.

Rental properties are everywhere, so you're in great shape there.

Finally, if the Upper East Side doesn't cut it for you, look in Shorewood, just to the north, and possibly the Lower East Side. I've lived in both of those as well. The Lower East Side gets more urban, Shorewood more suburban, but still having amenities and easy access to the University, and normal day-to-day amenities.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM

Great comments. Thank you guys (and/or girls) for the help. I was pretty sure the east side is where I wanted to be based on reading stuff on these forums. Now I'm sure of it and that will really help my decision.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM

I wanted to update anyone who is interested: We got a really nice two bedroom on Pulaski St. about two blocks from Brady. I'm really excited to be living in (from what I understand) is a pretty cool neighborhood with lots to do. And the place is way nicer then our current residence for a good third cheaper (not to mention another bedroom).

We do have to pay heat in the new place so I'm wondering what to expect. I read on one of these forums some guy saying he paid upwards of $300 for his but I don't remember the type of house he had. I'm thinking for a second floor, two bedroom with new windows it shouldn't be much more then $150? Does that sound right?

Well my wife and I are really looking forward to moving to Milwaukee. We'll be there in just about a month. We've been in LA for the last 5 years so we've been basically buying a whole new winter wardrobe to accommodate. But we've got our boots and minus 30 degree jackets so I think we're in OK shape for now. Wish us luck! If anyone wants to go for a beer, feel free to message me. We won't really know anyone there. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
With new windows and living on the second floor I think $150 a winter month sounds about right. Use a digital thermostat is possible. If not turn the heat down when your gone. Heat rises therefore the upper flat will cost less to heat. If you have any old windows make sure you seal them. Use shrink wrap plastic window cover or winter caulk around windows and doors they work great. I do everything possible to cut my heating bills and it works. I paid about $900.00 for the entire year and I live in a 1700 sq ft 100 year old home. If you keep your temperature around 70 degrees 24 hours a day and don't seal anything expect to pay around $300 per month. Heating bills can be cut a great deal if everything is done right.

The lower east side is a great place and I'm sure you'll love it. Try not to get to down in March and April when the chill in the air won't quit. Come summer the east side is a great place to be.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
All of the above posts have been pretty accurate. I suppose you could call the MCTS(bus system) in Milwaukee somewhat reliable, but they follow certain routes instead of just parallel streets, so if you're new it can be difficult to understand at first, and may not take you to all the places you need to go.

Seconded on the Lower East Side, Upper East Side (by UWM), you also might want to check out Riverwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee