Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:25 AM

402 posts, read 976,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletfly View Post
It seems after looking it up that you're correct. My apologies.
You might have been thinking about the fact that it is a District and not a state.

Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 18,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnielove View Post
Milwaukee is the state's biggest city and has like 5 tiny skyscrapers. Will the city ever build up the downtown office district to look like a big city?
I agree. Milwaukee needs at least two modern skyscrapers to compliment the US Bank Center, but it's a matter of zoning and demand ( you can build them but will you be able to fill them?). Milwaukee also needs light rail, at least a line from downtown to the airport would be better than nothing.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
I think that Milwaukee would be better served by building Iconic Mounuments , entertainment districts , urban shopping districts and Parks myself what about you?....

Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 7,437 times
I know this question is a little old now, but Milwaukee has really changed in the last couple of years.
Downtown is going through a major surge in development. The new Northwestern Mutual HQ will gladly fill the gap between US Bank Tower and the northern condos at 550' along with its 400' condo project across the street from that. The Couture which is planned to begin construction this year will be located just south of US Bank at 510' on the lakefront with new plazas and parks as well. Not to mention the possible Johnson Controls HQ south of that at 700-800'. The Bucks just also broke ground on their new stadium forming a new entertainment district just northwest of CBD.
Thousands of new apartments have been constructed on the river and northern lakefront with thousands more planned. Milwaukee has also seen its first gain in population in about 5 decades due to this surge, the metro has always been slowly growing. 10,000 more apartments are predicted to be built by 2020.
As far as regional transportation goes, the city has begun construction on a streetcar that will by 2020 span the entire downtown area connecting the University, lakefront, and inter modal station. And at this time, a rapid bus transit route is nearing approval which will serve downtown to Wauwatosa.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
People talk here the differences between Milwaukee and Chicago. How about the similarities? Milwaukee and Chicago are unique. Only 4 US cities face outward to open, unobstructed waterfront settings: Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Buffalo. No coastal city does because you don't build a core directly along the coast. The closest coastal city that faces open waters is Boston, but its coast is sheltered, bay-like, and islands off shore make this hardly open waters. the cores of the other major coastal cities...New York, Miami, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco do not face open waters.

So of the four cities that face open waters, only two have the setting (because of how they dedicated their lakefronts to greenery to be this unique open-water setting: Milwaukee and Chicago. and this unique setting should be a mecca for development, for density, for a skyline that interacts with the open waters to make something so desirable, that builds critical mass. Cleveland and Buffalo can only drool and dream of a setting like Milwaukee's and Chicago's; neither city had the foresight to dedicate their lakefronts to pleasure and greenery and the opportunity is lost, not to be recovered. As I said: Milwaukee and Chicago are unique.

No, Milwaukee doesn't need a Chicago-like skyline. But increased height, well planned, can add to the allure of Milwaukee. Your location is a godsend....few places like it. for all the allure of a city like Minneapolis, it's setting just doesn't compare with what Milwaukee has. Milwaukee: use what you have.

Last edited by edsg25; 06-29-2016 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_conformist View Post
I agree. Milwaukee needs at least two modern skyscrapers to compliment the US Bank Center, but it's a matter of zoning and demand ( you can build them but will you be able to fill them?). Milwaukee also needs light rail, at least a line from downtown to the airport would be better than nothing.
Your prayers have been answered. Check out the brand new Milwaukee skyline and lakefront gateway project along with the new entertainment district because of the new bucks arena. Read my post above for greater detail ^

Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 PM

175 posts, read 257,228 times
Skyscrapers only do any good if you work or live in one. I never understood the desire some people have for large skylines who have no attachment to them. Given some of the current trends in skyscraper design around the world right now...buildings that curve, swerve, look like they're going to topple over or look like building blocks stacked on top of each other...ugh! I hope the city of MKE never approves such eyesores that no one will be able to stand looking at 5 yrs from now. We dodged one bullet when the Lake Pointe Tower plan died. People were calling it The Keg, or The Beer Belly. I wasn't against the project nor am I against new skyscrapers IF they're needed, but they need to be designed tastefully and sensibly.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR4929 View Post
Skyscrapers only do any good if you work or live in one. I never understood the desire some people have for large skylines who have no attachment to them. Given some of the current trends in skyscraper design around the world right now...buildings that curve, swerve, look like they're going to topple over or look like building blocks stacked on top of each other...ugh! I hope the city of MKE never approves such eyesores that no one will be able to stand looking at 5 yrs from now. We dodged one bullet when the Lake Pointe Tower plan died. People were calling it The Keg, or The Beer Belly. I wasn't against the project nor am I against new skyscrapers IF they're needed, but they need to be designed tastefully and sensibly.

Exactly. There has to be a market of interested companies to fill the buildings. No one is going to build a significant skyscraper for spec(ulation). But glad to see NWM committing to downtown Milwaukee and hope others join them!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Exactly. There has to be a market of interested companies to fill the buildings. No one is going to build a significant skyscraper for spec(ulation). But glad to see NWM committing to downtown Milwaukee and hope others join them!
Hopefully we'll see JCI join the movement downtown as well. If they do, they will likely also then require an auxiliary tower like NWMs. This entails the near complete development of all lakefront properties. Likely will see soon after high rises form behind the initial lakefront still trying to the get the view. Meaning a denser area between the Riverfront and lake. And in my deepest desires, we can see high rises continuing to prosper along lakefront heading north and the third ward along with CBD and arena.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:48 PM

180 posts, read 327,888 times
as much as I love skyscrapers I also do not believe that is what defines a city. I would rather the city put more money into arts and culture instead of subsidizing private buildings. If you look at other "great" cities they are not all tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee