Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM

68 posts, read 179,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So maybe the suburbanite can now understand that every time we tell someone who grew up in a suburban county, that we love living in the city, we always have to deal with hearing how bad it is where we live and why would we ever live there. It's gets really old after a while, always defending where you live to people who constantly just use the news for a litmus test of safety in the city, so excuse us if we get a little testy about the issue.
you don't have to defend where you live when I live here too! I have said many times I love living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm just catching up on some of the activity in this thread. The quoted sentence above was my first impression upon reading the post that started this thread.

I don't think that the word "sheltered" is appropriate. Although I think the words "undereducated" or "ignorant" might be a bit harsh, the writing style of the OP is such that I have drawn a less than positive conclusion about the him, based on his writing style. If the grammar of the OP is any indication, I wouldn't be eager to raise a child in the OP's school system. Not knowing how to write and/or spell, is a huge disadvantage. Being "too lazy" to spell, phrase, or punctuate properly, is even more unacceptable.

As an aside, I'm curious about UWM's admission criteria. When and where I attended college, a simple spelling error--even a typo--could cut your throat, so to speak. Apparently proper English isn't a factor today. Universities are not doing a good job, if universities cannot develop students who are proficient communicators. Even allowing for the huge cost difference between my (now) $44,843/year college and UWM's comparatively cheap tuition, I still feel that there is no excuse for an academic institution to allow a competent student to graduate, if that student has substandard reading and writing skills.

I have only posted these things in the hope that the OP will reflect briefly on his education and origin, and consider that more research may be necessary before beating a hasty retreat to Waukesha.
I've never excelled in spelling/writing. so shoot me. I graduated with high honors in high school and my cumulative gpa at UWM is 3.6. I excell in math and business. Don't call me uneducated, some of the most successfull people in the world can't spell to save their life. I realize even this post isn't what it could be grammatically, but who cares? its the internet not a research paper. I consider myself very professional as I am a highly respected bank employee.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Thankfully he did not mention Brown Deer, or else he would have received a much more caustic response from me...
I did mention brown deer.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
UWM is pretty much open enrollment--I think around 85% of applicants are accepted. Like other large, public schools, graduation requirements vary widely from major to major, from school to school. At the university, college/school, and departmental levels, various courses are required in a variety of areas, but don't forget that a D is a passing grade. Throw in the pressure that universities feel to graduate reasonable but not fully developed students (in order to show success data to legislators and taxpayers), and there you have it: education driven primarily by the marketplace, politics, and public relations.

At UWM and many other places, some students get a very good basic and advanced education, but others skip over the basics in order to focus on major studies and career training. It's both the blessing and the curse of mass education in the United States. If public universities were allowed to develop and maintain the highest standards without fear of financial retribution (attrition = lower enrollments = less tuition revenue), things would be vastly different, but as it is now, such a practice is not realistic. This country (sort of) wants excellence, but funds mediocrity.

It's not just mass education, though. Private schools are generally self-sustaining, so they have to make sure students graduate. Some private schools have higher academic standards than others, of course, but is it a surprise that the best ones tend to have the largest endowments (and therefore the most wiggle-room to maintain high standards)? I went to elite schools and did well by them, but many dullards manage to graduate nonetheless--all you need to graduate from most colleges is a 2.0 total and a 2.5 (or lower) in the major. At most of the elite colleges, requirements are minimal; many students coast on their high-school level reading and writing skills. Is it any surprise that even the best colleges produce subpar graduates? Ultimately, it's really up to the students to want an education and improve their skills. However, education is one of those things that people really like the sound of, but make relatively little effort to acquire.
D is NOT a passing grade, but try again. While its not failing with an F you can't move onto the next level class without getting a C or better in the class before it, so a D is basically failing. I gaurantee not many people graduate that don't deserve it as most people who get grades lower than B's more often than not drop out realizing they won't find a job with there poor GPA. Or just drop out from lazyness which is why they got those grades anyway.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM

I do think that the bad areas are where all the black people are. i'm not a racist its just the truth. I was at the intersection of MLK and locust (not a terrible area i know, but the beginning of it) and some crackhead came up to my car and stuck his hands in my car demanding that i give him money. This wouldn't happen somewhere else. Its just the truth. I am not racist I have black and hispanic friends. I attended a school in waukesha that was 90% hispanic and 5% black. So most of my friends right now are of a race other than mine. Don't call me racist thanks.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
I've never excelled in spelling/writing. so shoot me. I graduated with high honors in high school and my cumulative gpa at UWM is 3.6. I excell in math and business. Don't call me uneducated, some of the most successfull people in the world can't spell to save their life. I realize even this post isn't what it could be grammatically, but who cares? its the internet not a research paper. I consider myself very professional as I am a highly respected bank employee.
I'm not the greatest at spelling/writing either and I make mistakes here. I think (but could be wrong) the fellow members are at least looking for an honest attempt at proper spelling/writing. They want to keep this forum at a semi professional level and not have it break down into complete junk, which is often the case on the internet.

If nothing else you have fortitude. Most would have given up after the beat down you took.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM

204 posts, read 752,430 times
Quote:
I did mention brown deer.
Well you are clearly mistaken in calling it "ghetto". If you could point out the location of said ghetto on the map, surely you will find it is 3 miles down the road in Milwaukee (and of a closer proximity to Mequon and Menomonee Falls than Brown Deer, by the way...). Brown Deer ends on 68th St, dipsh*t.

I'm so f*cking sick of this game and will never understand any other aspect of how a village of 12,000 people can be considered ghetto outside of the obvious racial quotient. And even then, it's 82+% white.

My apologies to Coldwake. I completely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider
I realize even this post isn't what it could be grammatically, but who cares? its the internet not a research paper.
Punctuation and spelling may not necessarily add merit to a post, but a lack thereof definitely detracts from the argument. So when you come in with a strong opinion, you need to back it up not only with facts but with proper prose. Otherwise, you're not going to be taken seriously.

Quote:
I consider myself very professional as I am a highly respected bank employee.
Yeah, well I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Seriously though, I consider people who feel the necessity to brag about themselves or preemptively defend their actions on the internet to be quite the opposite of what they attempt to come off as.

Your reading comprehension and analytical skills certainly seem to be lacking. Same with tact.

Quote:
I am not racist I have black and hispanic friends.
See above.

Quote:
I do think that the bad areas are where all the black people are. i'm not a racist its just the truth.
Well, it's not racist since you're not necessarily saying that all black people are "bad", but it's not quite the truth either. There are plenty of locations in the city with black people that are perfectly fine. Even those with only black people. And the areas that are bad aren't bad because simply because they're filled with black people. It's the situations they put themselves in, which is not something that's unique to their race.

Quote:
no. i think north side west of I-43 is ghetto
Give some boundaries.

Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 06-10-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
D is NOT a passing grade, but try again. While its not failing with an F you can't move onto the next level class without getting a C or better in the class before it, so a D is basically failing.
This only applies to classes for which a "2.0 or above" policy (or similar policy) is specified. If no such policy is specified, a student may earn a D in a class and then proceed to the next. I should know; I teach for a living.

At UWM, there is also the very permissive policy of letting students repeat courses (even courses taken semesters ago) in order to boost GPA. It seems counterproductive to let students do this (shouldn't students get an acceptable grade before moving on to the next courses?), but that's the way it's done there.

Quote:
I gaurantee not many people graduate that don't deserve it as most people who get grades lower than B's more often than not drop out realizing they won't find a job with there poor GPA. Or just drop out from lazyness which is why they got those grades anyway.
Even with the filtering process you described, there are a lot of people graduating who may have a good command of their specialized major, but who have a poor general education. A student with a lot of Ds and Cs in general ed courses may wind up getting a B average later in a specialized major, but that success does not necessarily make up for the poor education in the basics.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
...not many people graduate that don't deserve it...

...won't find a job with there poor GPA...

Or just drop out from lazyness which is why they got those grades anyway...

Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 PM

180 posts, read 663,181 times
Quote:
I do think that the bad areas are where all the black people are. i'm not a racist its just the truth.
You're also a soft suburban p***y who thinks Wauwatosa is a ghetto... not being a jerk, just the truth

Quote:
I was at the intersection of MLK and locust (not a terrible area i know, but the beginning of it) and some crackhead came up to my car and stuck his hands in my car demanding that i give him money. This wouldn't happen somewhere else. Its just the truth.
Wow... that's quite a tale there! Was this before or after the cop asked you about the shooting?

Quote:
I am not racist I have black and hispanic friends.
LOL, you and every other bigot who gets called for it...

Quote:
I attended a school in waukesha that was 90% hispanic and 5% black. So most of my friends right now are of a race other than mine. Don't call me racist thanks.
LMAO!!!! Fine, I'll call your bluff... what is the name of this whimsical school of Benetton's wet dreams that just happens to be in the heart of one of the most whitebred and prejudiced counties in all of Wisconsin?

You've clearly been bullsh***ing your way through this thread ever since you got through the shock of recognizing that there's intelligent people in Milwaukee who proudly choose to live here and wouldn't automatically co-sign with your delusional Fox 6 influenced view of the city. I'm just surprised more people haven't been calling you on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee