Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 AM

22 posts, read 60,944 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we were watching TV the other night, and a commercial came on where a family was catching fireflies. My five year old turned to me and said, "Mommy, what are those bugs?" I feel like I've totally failed as a mother! This kid is the ultimate bug hunter, and I've never thought to take her fire fly hunting?

But, now that she's got me thinking about it, I don't think I've seen a firefly in years. Has anyone out there seen any lately? What area?

I know they like parks and lakes, but I haven't seen any at the parks and lakes in my area. So please, if you have seen them, be more specific, like town, neighborhood, specific park or lake.

Thanks in advance, I know she'll be so excited to see them in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM

409 posts, read 1,243,353 times
I've never seen them in the city, but I have a friend in Corcoran (the exurb, not the neighborhood) who has them around her house all the time.

I guess I would try looking at some of the more rural county or state parks?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,242,244 times
Have you been out in a park at night lately and really watched for them? My wife was catching them last week in a small city park here in the western suburbs/lake minnetonka area.

We took a walk just as it was starting to get dark out, had a seat on some swings in a local park and fireflies started to show up soon after that.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,381,520 times
We get them in our yard. They are a little hard to see with the street lights, etc. If you drive a little out of town you will see them everywhere. I remember going to the cabin and they were everywhere.

I just saw that you are in Burnsville. If you go south on 35 and take one of the country roads off the freeway you will find them quite easily.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM

22 posts, read 60,944 times
We drove around for four hours last night. We were in Watertown, Orono, Montrose, and a slew of other little towns in the northwest metro area. No luck so far. We'll head south tonight, hopefully we'll find some there.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,124,142 times
They like big patches of open lawn/grass, I see them pretty much every night in our yard (rural area) between June and August as long as it isn't raining.

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-10-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,101,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikyma View Post
Okay, so we were watching TV the other night, and a commercial came on where a family was catching fireflies. My five year old turned to me and said, "Mommy, what are those bugs?" I feel like I've totally failed as a mother! This kid is the ultimate bug hunter, and I've never thought to take her fire fly hunting?

But, now that she's got me thinking about it, I don't think I've seen a firefly in years. Has anyone out there seen any lately? What area?

I know they like parks and lakes, but I haven't seen any at the parks and lakes in my area. So please, if you have seen them, be more specific, like town, neighborhood, specific park or lake.

Thanks in advance, I know she'll be so excited to see them in person.
I used to catch them every time we went down to my grandma's house in the Quad Cities, and I've seen them at my aunt's farm in the Root River area. For a long time, I assumed that it was too cold/too far north for them in the Cities, as I've never seen them here. But a friend of mine told me that they have them in Superior, so that's not it.

I think it's probably light pollution. They're probably there, but having so much man-made light around in the Cities is confusing them. Sadly, I think you'd have to go pretty far out for a firefly hunt....

Old 07-10-2010, 12:22 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,843,688 times
It seems like i haven't seen a firefly in some years, either, wondering if it's that i just haven't spent as much time out in rural areas as of late or if something's going on with their population although they tend to be more predominant in Eastern sections of US.

i agree with others, maybe plan a picnic for dusk at a park that has both water and large grassier areas- there's a state park somewhere by northfield that might be good to go to (has a big forested area and some picnic shelters in grassier areas), or maybe down to the SEern corner of MN (around Winona, etc.). here's some websites that might be helpful:

https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/range_maps (and a link on this page: https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/view_and_explore_data)

About Firefly Habitats and Where You Can Find Fireflies Living - Firefly.org
Habitat
pollinators-welcome: Firefly

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM

812 posts, read 2,176,181 times
I've seen them when camping at Carver Park. Perhaps go out on some of the trails around nine.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,129,349 times
I was stunned a couple of weeks ago to come across a field in Oakdale that was swarming with fireflies (near Skyview Middle School). There were thousands of them just after sunset in an area perhaps a bit over an acre. The whole field twinkled. The display went on for a couple of weeks.

However, a friend of mine says that you'll see fewer and fewer as the summer goes on, since the light display is most active during mating season in late spring.

Look for them in natural prairie-like fields. They don't like short grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul