Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 PM

12 posts, read 31,317 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I’m a 26, active, single female moving to MN for a job transfer next month and am hoping for some help with nailing down an area/condo to live! I’m really excited about this move as I hear Minneapolis is a wonderful city, but am feeling a bit stressed as I will only have 1-2 days to look.

I’d like to be downtown or uptown, as I am looking to be in the vicinity of plenty of other younger professionals. I also would like to be in proximity to things to do – restaurants, bars, coffee, any type of park/river/lake that is nice to run or bike by.
I like to go out but am not looking for any type of crazy club/bar scene. So far I feel like the Uptown, Warehouse District or Downtown would all be suitable…

Also some apartment names that have been recommended or I’ve scouted out – Eitel, Heritage Landing, Blue, Excelsior….

My price range can be flexible….I certainly don’t want to pay a ridiculously high rent but would consider a broad range to find the ideal place.

Boston is my favorite city….so for those who are familiar, are any areas in MN comparable? (Charlseton area as an example)…

Can anyone help or offer up suggestions basis some of my hopes for criteria? I would really appreciate the input!!! J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I was sort of surprised that you hadn't received any feedback yet, but then realized that, in my case anyway, it was because it sounds like you have a lot of good options already; those areas all sound like good fits. I would also put the neighborhoods on both sides of the Stone Arch Bridge on the list: Marcy Holmes (the non-Dinkytown part)/St. Anthony on the opposite side of downtown, and the Mill District on the downtown side. Both of those areas have a great blend of new activity and old industrial buildings and ruins, all along the banks of the river.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:49 PM

I am a bit surprised too actually...so thanks so much for your input!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
The area around the Guthrie would be a good fit.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM

109 posts, read 307,385 times
You mentioned the place "Blue" over in Lyn/Lake. I will warn you that place is very expensive. I am pretty sure my friend paid around $1500 a month for a single bedroom apartment. I suppose its a brand new building and some people are willing to pay that much, but I just thought I'd warn you incase you didn't know.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM

Yes, Blue is expensive. It's nice, though. There are a number of other new buildings in that immediate area (it's located adjacent to the Midtown Greenway, a former railroad/industrial trench-turned-bike/walking trail), as well as a wide range of other types of housing, including far more affordable duplexes, historic buildings, and semi-modern places. It's a great neighborhood and a great location. It's also extremely walkable with pretty much everything you need within walking distance. (and is currently my favorite Minneapolis neighborhood, so I'm a bit biased! I like the blend of proximity to the lakes but with a bit more urban feel than the parts of Uptown closer to Lake Calhoun (although it's still an easy walk or bike ride to the many offerings of Uptown; they blend together, and some people consider Lyn-Lake to be part of Uptown.)

Which reminds me of another thing I forgot to mention: I'm not extremely familiar with Boston, but the thing that stands out to me from my visits there over the years are the number and quality of its bookstores; Uptown is probably the best place in the Twin Cities on that front, as its home to several (including Magers & Quinn, which I believe is the largest independent bookstore in the metro area.). The entire Uptown/Lyn-Lake area is also filled with restaurants, coffee shops, bike stores (they seem to be multiplying daily!), bars, shops, plus practical things like grocery stores, etc.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 PM

That's great to know! Sounds like it would be a good fit. The househunting trip is next week...I'll let you know how it pans out on areas...

I did hear about Blue being pricey - I might be able to concede and pay that amt if the place was perfect...but would rather not.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
I think Uptown would be a great area to consider, as there's lots of amenities within walking distance (Lakes, bike paths, restaurants, bars, theaters, lots of shops, two grocery stores (Lunds & Rainbow).

Downtown also would be worth checking out, though it depends on what part of downtown. The Mill District (near the Guthrie) has mostly condos, but there is the brand new Mill District City Apts which is nearing completion at Washington Ave and Portland. This is a growing neighborhood and is along the riverfront (which features the Stone Arch Bridge and St Anthony Falls). The area has an awesome farmers market (on Saturday mornings at Chicago Avenue and the river) but doesn't have a major super mkt within easy walking distance (there's a Lunds across the river, and Target and 9th & Nicollet).

The southwest side of downtown, near Loring Park or developments like Eitel/Loring City Apts/Symphony Place/Marquette Place, is closer to the South Nicollet Mall area, which has the Target store (with a good grocery selection) and lots of shops and restaurants.

There are also some nice older apartments within areas like The Wedge, Uptown, Loring Park, East Isles/Lowry Hill, but there are also some questionable management companies. Do a Google search on the management companies to try to get feedback.

Also, be aware that some newer apartments are leased on a net rent basis rather than a gross rent basis, meaning that in addition to your rent, they also charge you for most, if not all of your utilities (whereas most older apts include many utilities within the rent). Just be aware of this and always ask what utilities are included in the rent. That way you can compare the options in a more accurate way.

Good luck with your move--I hope you're into biking

Old 09-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks Mpls Todd - extremely helpful. I take it biking is the big activity in Minneapolis?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Biking is HUGE in Minneapolis. Bike racks everywhere, bike trails and paths everywhere, bike stores on what feels like every other corner (I think Blue has something like five bike shops within a two or three block radius), and a lot of people of all ages and backgrounds both commuting to work as well as just out on recreational rides. (even in winter)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul