Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM

42 posts, read 146,036 times

Advertisements

Most people in my neighborhood have chain link fences that are connected to one another.

I'd like to build a privacy fence, but kinda unsure how to go about this with the sides being shared.

I have not had my property surveyed yet, but I am 99% sure the sides of the fence are right on the property lines.

Generally, what are people doing with this kind of transition?

Is it weird to put up a privacy fence right next to a chain link on my side of the property line?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I would get some wooden pallets from Cub and lean them up against your neighbor's fence, make sure the "good" side faces you and you're good-to-go.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Haha!

I'm thinking something more attractive looking...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
There are a couple houses around here that have chain link butting up against privacy. Basically the chain link corner post is just right next to the post for the wood fence. Personally, privacy fences are a pain in the rear. Upkeep is labor intensive and expensive. We stained our fence over two summers and $1000 in stain. I will never have a privacy fence again (it was here when we bought the house).

Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the input and I will consider the expense.

I just am not a huge fan of chain link fences in the first place and would like a little added privacy on the sides when I'm out grilling.

One side of my house is next to another house that is next to a semi busy road that I'd like to try to block out a bit.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM

332 posts, read 821,883 times
you could plant trees or bushes. I love lilac!
The Best Privacy Bushes or Shrubs | eHow.com

Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
With my neighbors, our fences are shared, and each neighbor shares in the cost of the fence and its upkeep. We also come to an agreement on what type of fence to install. One neighbor takes the lead getting competitive bids, and then reviews the bids with the other neighbor. On one side, we had a contractor install the fence. On the other side, we bought prefab sections from Menards and installed them together. We didn't have chain link, but to install a privacy fence right next to a chain link would have been considered very rude. Have you talked to you neighbors about this? I would think that would be the place to start.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
The house to the south of us has a chain link fence (their fence). I planted groupings of vibernum (sp?), dogwood and arctic willow along it. Makes for a great screen. Of course all are deciduous, but in the winter we don't spend much time in the back yard.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM

@Glenfield, I have not talked with my neighbors yet. I'm just gathering info at the moment to see the feasibility.

@Ben, thanks I will look into those plants as well. I had looked into screening though and one side of my yard has 2 large trees in it that would block the sun for the most part of any plants under it. I'd assume that'd have to prevent them from growing?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_n_d_y View Post
@Glenfield, I have not talked with my neighbors yet. I'm just gathering info at the moment to see the feasibility.

@Ben, thanks I will look into those plants as well. I had looked into screening though and one side of my yard has 2 large trees in it that would block the sun for the most part of any plants under it. I'd assume that'd have to prevent them from growing?
Actually, the viburnums are planted directly under the neighbors' huge pine tree, just inside their fence (they have the limbs trimmed from the trunk up to about 15 feet). Despite that, the viburnums have grown to about 8 feet. The variety I have are Diablo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul