Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,101 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Please ignore my username. I contacted the admins a week or so ago to get it changed but I never heard back...

We are relocating to the area for my work this summer. My daughter will be going into 7th grade and is in need of a quality, supportive middle school. 6th grade this year was tough for her, not really with academics, but with everything else. Her current school is top rated and has high expectations, which is good and bad. If the kid is not naturally organized and focused and otherwise more responsible, some of the teachers don't have patience and empathy.

One of the areas I'm looking at due to work proximity is St. Louis Park. However, even though I heard good things about the school district, it seems from the little I've read that the middle school/junior high has gone downhill. I'm also considering these areas: Edina, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen/Chaska, Waconia, Mound, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Victoria (in no particular order), so if you have middle school recommendations as well as thoughts on commute times (from the further out areas like Waconia) from 394 & 100, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,884 times
When relocating to Mpls suburbs and looking at schools, one of the best ways to determine quality is to look at Open Enrollment figures. MN has a very generous open enrollment policy compared to other states, and it is much more widely used than in other states in which I've lived. Top tier schools draw students from other districts, and can have upwards of 20% of their students from neighboring towns. Open Enrollment is not limited to lower family income or available only to students attending "low performing districts", as in other states. Typically, you want a school that does not have a "negative" open enrollment number; that is, more students leave the district than come into the district via open enrollment. These figures can be hard to find, but are worth tracking down. For example, the number of Chanhassen students that open enroll into Minnetonka Schools is much higher than the number of Minnetonka students that open enroll into Chaska-Chan.

Because middle school is short, I would strongly look to the high schools, rather focusing solely on middle schools.
Chaska/Chan has two high schools, one of which has a better reputation than the other. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that Chaska has a bad gang problem, at least compared to other near-by schools.

Waconia to SLP is a long communte by MN standards. EP and SLP are going to have the most diversity, whereas Edina, Mtka, Wayzata, are pretty white. Mound/Westonka might be a good bet due to its smaller district size, as is Orono. Its not quite as highly rated as some of the districts you listed, but as you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph, top rating and high expectations are both good and bad. I've moved enough to have learned that top tier isn't always the best fit for some kids. You can also get more house for your money in Mound than you can in Wayzata / Mtka / Edina.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
While I agree that looking at the high school is very important, middle school is where the framework is established for taking notes, being more self-sufficient, and forming good study habits.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Chaska and Chanhassen are in the same district. Chanhassen is a new high school-3rd year or so. I highly doubt that Chaska has a "bad gang problem" given the size town and location. It's a nice community with a lot of amenities and well worth a look.

You really can't go wrong with any of the schools in the west metro outside of the 494 loop. Housing costs could be an issue however. It's an expensive area. Towns like Waconia and Chaska are more affordable however.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM

59 posts, read 103,390 times
I agree with golfgal - Minnesota schools are great overall, and the western suburbs have some of the best, no matter how you look at it. I don't have enough knowledge to give any advice about the middle schools except to say that those years are awful, and my heart goes out to you and your daughter. No matter how great a school you find, that's a tough time.

Golfgal also makes a great point that a lot of your search will come down to what kind of homes you're looking for, and what you can afford in those communities. This is a great time to buy a home, but it's definitely leaning towards a seller's market, so when you find something great, you need to snap it up, right away. Do you plan to buy something before you move here this summer? Will you be coming here to visit and look around?

I hope this is helpful!

All best,

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul