Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times

Advertisements

One thing I noticed about the Twin Cities residents I see outside in below ZERO weather is how few of them really are dressed warmly. Many don't have a true winter coat and only a small percent were wearing a hat. (Most hats were only baseball style hats that really did not protect their ears.) I saw very few people with stocking caps.

So the kids are off on Monday but adults still have to go to work and many are waiting at the bus stop without a warm jacket, a hat or gloves in wind chills under 30 BELOW.

What's up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I think in the cold you see Monday you will see a different picture but not everyone feels the cold in the same way. I rarely wear a hat, hate them, but if I were going to be outside for more than it takes to walk from my car into a building I would wear a hood at least. I always wear gloves/mittens though in the winter. Last winter I actually wore my winter coat maybe a dozen times, but I usually had it in my car.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
I have seen the opposite most places I've been out and about this winter. A lot of people wearing stocking hats, face masks, scarves, etc. I personally rarely wear a hat unless I'm walking a long way or it's -5F or below.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Large Russian fur hat. Check.

Choppers. Check.

No shorts. Check.

I'm ready.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
people tolerate cold differently when they live in a climate for a period of time. what seems cold to our southern neighbors is balmy to us. i doubt if you will see peope running around in baseball caps on Monday.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
people tolerate cold differently when they live in a climate for a period of time. what seems cold to our southern neighbors is balmy to us. i doubt if you will see peope running around in baseball caps on Monday.
I agree....while my co-workers bundle up just to go outside for a minute or two I normally just grab a light jacket..... Outside of sledding, shoveling or snow blowing, I rarely wear gloves/hat, but tha'ts me.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM

164 posts, read 257,019 times
This is a purely American phenomenon.

Between car commute and work/home/shopping, people spend little time walking outside. Hence no winter coats necessary.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
For many of us who have grown up and lived most of our lives in the Upper Midwest, we're just acclimated to it. As long as the wind isn't blowing, it just doesn't feel that cold unless we're out there in it for an extended period of time. We just don't perceive it as uncomfortable. I grew up in North Central Wisconsin, in a lowlying area on the edge of one of the largest marshes in the state, and cold air settled into the depression. Our house was regularly 7 - 10 degrees colder than the temperatures in town, and we were always active outdoors in the winter - taking care of the animals, snowmobiling, hiking, cross country skiing, etc. In my adult years, I spent many hours each week winter hiking both in the Metro area and the North Shore of Lake Superior. If I was just standing 10 or 15 minutes at a bus stop in downtown Minneapolis, I didn't even notice it was cold. It's just nothing, in comparison.

This is a short thread, but I've already noticed several other native northerners expressing similar sentiments. I'm curious - those of you who feel the same as I do, do you notice a difference between dry cold and damp cold? Because I really do. If it's below zero and dry, I'm completely comfortable - but if it's damp outside, I'm not leaving the house without a jacket any time it gets much under 30 degrees. 10 below and dry, I feel fine; 25 and damp, and I'm freezing. That cold, damp air just cuts through like a knife. Anyone else notice that?

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
For many of us who have grown up and lived most of our lives in the Upper Midwest, we're just acclimated to it. As long as the wind isn't blowing, it just doesn't feel that cold unless we're out there in it for an extended period of time. We just don't perceive it as uncomfortable. I grew up in North Central Wisconsin, in a lowlying area on the edge of one of the largest marshes in the state, and cold air settled into the depression. Our house was regularly 7 - 10 degrees colder than the temperatures in town, and we were always active outdoors in the winter - taking care of the animals, snowmobiling, hiking, cross country skiing, etc. In my adult years, I spent many hours each week winter hiking both in the Metro area and the North Shore of Lake Superior. If I was just standing 10 or 15 minutes at a bus stop in downtown Minneapolis, I didn't even notice it was cold. It's just nothing, in comparison.

This is a short thread, but I've already noticed several other native northerners expressing similar sentiments. I'm curious - those of you who feel the same as I do, do you notice a difference between dry cold and damp cold? Because I really do. If it's below zero and dry, I'm completely comfortable - but if it's damp outside, I'm not leaving the house without a jacket any time it gets much under 30 degrees. 10 below and dry, I feel fine; 25 and damp, and I'm freezing. That cold, damp air just cuts through like a knife. Anyone else notice that?
I am similar to you...yes I do feel a difference. A cold raw southerly wind bringing up moisture in the winter is way way worse than a northwesterly dry wind. It can be 20 degrees warmer with a south wind in the winter but to me it feels colder.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
This is a purely American phenomenon.

Between car commute and work/home/shopping, people spend little time walking outside. Hence no winter coats necessary.
I agree.... in short trips to/from work or in/out stores to car and back....it makes little sense to me to overdress and sit in the car burning up hot. I'd rather keep it simple and just wear a comfortable jacket. Always keep gloves/hat, etc in car in case....but in day to day operations dont use them. Even today (Sun) up here in Grand Forks when I left work at 4pm it was 20 below and wind chill -50 I started my car remotely got into with a light jacket, then got gas....hoped outside to run the card and put nozzle in, got back in car as it filled, then out to remove nozzle and get receipt and then back in. So in most days, way more time in a car than outside, so just enough warmth to make it through those few times is all that is needed for me at least. But I am very cold tolerant and always seem hot, so it doesnt bother me as it does some.

That said, of course, if I know I will be outside shoveling, blowing or taking the kids sledding, then of course dress way differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul